Need recommendation for arrival night at Boardwalk

princessap

DIS Veteran
We are staying at the Boardwalk resort for the first time this August...wondering what is recommended for dinner in this area? we did Cape May last year when we stayed at beach club and it was just okay
thanks

Who is in your party? What are the ages? Any food preferences?What is your budget? Are you on the DDP?
The more information you give us the better we can help you

I really liked Trattoria al forno the one time we went. So good. And excellent service. Going again in March. I love Beaches and Cream at Beach Club. Nice casual comfort food and yummy ice cream. Could also try the new Ale and Compass at Yacht Club. Used to be Captains Grill and they renovated it recently. We are trying it in March. We have not yet been to Flying Fish...have it booked in March too but SIL wasn't wowed when she went. Nor have we been to Yachtsman. Those two are signature dining places. We have been to ESPN and that's nothing special. Big River Brewing is not bad but not outstanding...just solidly decent. It's good for last minute meals since they aren't overly busy.

Last edited:
There will be five of us, kids are 6,9,11 and great eaters. Not picky at all and love steak and seafood!
We aren’t on dining plan but have no problem paying for great food.
We were super excited for cape May last year and left disappointed.

Seafood? Flying Fish right there on the Boardwalk, or Bluezoo a short walk away at the Dolphin. Steak -Shula's.

There will be five of us, kids are 6,9,11 and great eaters. Not picky at all and love steak and seafood!
We aren’t on dining plan but have no problem paying for great food.
We were super excited for cape May last year and left disappointed.

I would head over to bluezoo at the Dolphin. It's arguably the best restaurant in the EP resort area. Fantastic steak and seafood and a great kids menu (that includes steak and seafood!). If you like ice cream, I would probably save dessert for Ample Hills on the Boardwalk though!

Another alternative - if you have park tickets for that day, I would suggest going to Spice Road Table in EP. The food is really good!

I would avoid ESPN, I've heard from a few friends that's it's awful.

Have heard amazing things about Blue zoo. Also Shulas steak house. Both are a quick boat ride away.

Flying Fish is right on the boardwalk.

I would check on the menus on the Disney website and go by the menu that you like best.

When I was staying at the Beach Club back in September we arrived around 6pm and after we dropped our luggage we strolled over to the Boardwalk. We had our first night's dinner at the Big River Grille and let me tell you, I was pleasantly surprised! I didn't have high expectations as it doesn't seem to get much love online, but the food and service were both great! I had the check mac and cheese which was great - very rich and delish! The others I was with had the ribs, and fish tacos and everyone loved their meals. Our waiter was very friendly, and made great cocktail/beer recommendations when we didn't know what to order. Service was quick (but not rushed at all, it was a quiet night and well after the usual dinner time, around 7:30pm ish) I would definitely go back! ::yes::

We followed up dinner with a visit to the Abracadabar where I had the Sour Assistant, which was indeed sour and very strong ;), and then we wandered back to the Beach Club. It was such an enjoyable walk back as we could see glimpses of the fireworks from DHS and Epcot and it really built up the excitement of going to the parks in the morning! :hyper: We then stopped in for a little dessert at the Beaches and Cream To Go counter before calling it a night! If this is how I spend my arrival night again when I stay at the Boardwalk this coming December I definitely won't be sad about it! :goodvibes

Beaches and Cream is a favourite of mine as the ice cream dishes are pretty great of course, but I think the burgers are pretty good too! I've also been to Cape May which was fine but as I don't enjoy seafood I'm not in a hurry to head back personally.

Last edited:
I’d go to beaches and cream. Dh and I had a ton of fun there. We had dinner and planned on just getting shakes but it was too hard to resist the kitchen sink so we got that too.

We generally stay at the Boardwalk and usually have a meal there or nearby our first night. We too were disappointed at Cape May (it was alright but not as great as we had hoped ... it was also very busy, crowded and there were a lot of "free range children" wandering about).

Bluezoo is nice as are Flying Fish but they are quite expensive ... we spent more than $200 at each for the two of us (that included wine, appetizers, and dessert).

Trattoria Al Forno is nice but we have only had breakfast there so can't speak to the dinner service.

I would go with either Big River Grill or (if you can get an ADR) Beaches and Cream. Both are still in the reasonable range (as reasonable as anything gets at Disney!), the food is good and appealing to most age levels ... frankly think the atmosphere at Bluezoo and Flying Fish would be "a yawner" for the kids.

Check out the Disney Food Blog for some really good reviews and pictures of all of the dining venues ... they have some fun videos on YouTube too! That's where we get a lot of our ideas before a trip!

As others have mentioned, I'd try Flying Fish or Bluezoo at Dolphin. Frankly, we would just walk over to Epcot and grab something in WS but we always either have APs or tickets for every day we are there so it isn't a big deal.

I often stay in the Boardwalk area and bluezoo is my favorite restaurant on property.

Flying Fish is a good choice.
Big River is usually easy to get in without ADRs.
Il Mulino at the Swan is really good if you like Italian. A short walk to the Swan.
If you have an AP, then walking to EPCOT and counter service has many options.

Last edited:
It sounds as if you are a foodie. Flying Fish or Blue Zoo would be my choice.

ESPN is pretty terrible, as someone else here has said.

I really liked Trattoria al forno the one time we went. So good. And excellent service.
Maybe this is a hit or miss restaurant because we dined here in April for dinner and were less than impressed, food was bland, service was good and we had great seats outside by the boardwalk, but those were the only positives.

Flying Fish gets rave reviews although i have not personally tried it, but really want to try it.

Be careful with arrival day reservations if you are flying in. You never want to cut it too close and risk getting the no show fee.

Another +1 for Flying Fish. We were there in August with a 6yo and a 2yo and enjoyed it very much. (We'd also been there before the reboot, and I like the new FF even better).

Flying Fish if you can splurge. My kids, aged 11, 9, and 4 enjoyed it, and I loved it! (We did take books to occupy them, as it is a signature, so plan 2 hours.) I also took two of them to get ice cream after the entree, while my DH and foodie kid ordered (and were disappointed by) dessert. Fantastic Fish, and I live in a coastal community, where some of the food is sourced from. We actually knew one of their purveyors. Weird coincidence! If you want something simpler, Beaches and Cream or Trattoria, and definitely make time to meander on the Boardwalk.

It's been 4 years but loved Flying Fish when we tried it back then (I would put us in 'foodie' category). The decor is whimsical and the location is more accessible for enjoying the boardwalk area after dinner. But menus change so I would take a look at the menus to ensure it has something for everyone in your party.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter