Need nutritional info for son w/T1D

Hi! We are headed to WDW + Cruise on the Dream at the end of Sept/1st week Oct. My 5 year old was just diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. I am trying to plan ahead a little bit so that I can minimize time spent trying to track down nutritional info for his insulin dosage, and max our fun family time on this MUCH needed vaca ;). I have called the cruise line a few times to try to see if there is easy access for ANY nutritional info on the food in the restaurants, buffets, etc... and they seem to have no idea what I am even asking. They tell me to ask our servers. Is there any links online or someone I can call who manages this sort of info for Disney? I am really shocked that there's not more resources for diabetics at Disney! Am I just not looking or asking the right people? And especially since Disney is partnered up with Lilly Diabetes to help educate the public on T1D?! They have incorporated a character into Mickey Mouse Clubhouse with T1D and everything (Coco) --- and no one can tell me how to find out the carbs in the kids meals? ANY info for better resources would be SO greatly appreciated. We have a had a really hard summer ...(well, a hard couple years - actually it's been terrible since our last Disney vaca almost 3 years ago so maybe this is was a sign we need to spend more time there haha!) and I am so looking forward to this trip. We need it to be great - not super stressful. TIA!!!

They do not have carb info. Just use your best judgement. I have two type 1 children and they both have been on many Disney cruises. You will have a great time! Remember to bring more supplies than needed, if you are not on a CGM then test a lot more often because the activity and anxiety can really cause drops. Remember to have something in the room for lows. I always have ordered apple juice from room service to keep in the fridge. You will survive and make wonderful family memories:)

We just got him on CGM - thank goodness!!!! I read on items NOT permitted - perishable food items plus open snack containers. So if he has an open juice box or something when we go to board, do they make you chuck it? Do you just go straight in and order those items to your room?

If it's an open juice box, you can't bring it. My son is now 17, diagnosed at age 1, and we use to always bring on those little 15 carb count juicy juice boxes. They never had a problem with us bringing those on. There is tons of food once on board so don't stress about the food aspect too much (I say that because I know how stressful type 1 is when doing new things!) I still get nervous when going new places. The cgm will be nice to have! our daughter is 8 and has the Dexcom- we love it! Saves probably 8 tests per day since she doesn't know when she is going low yet.
Have a great time!!

My little guy is the same - the Dexcom is a game changer! He is not on a pump and we have to dose him after he eats right now bc he is SO picky. Is there way to find out what kind of foods are usually available? We are first time cruisers - but I know they will have buffets probably al over the place? I am thinking I can make a short list of some items he will probably eat, to have on hand so I can dose him easier/faster and he can get back to having fun. --- I am not a professional carb counter yet like I know some t1d moms are ;)

FWIW -- I'm a T1D and I misjudged the ice cream on board the first day or 2 ... it is not as sugary as you would think. Overall the food I got on the Fantasy was not far out of the norm of what I would judge on a normal day. In fact, I misjudged more than normal thinking it would have more carbs than it did. It looks like you're still new to the whole diabetes thing, but follow the earlier advice and just make sure you're keeping an eye on things. I am not on a CGM so that should help you all out for sure.

Yes, the CGM should be a huge help! Glad we have that at least. And yes, very new to this! I wanted to be able to plan better for our trip - it would have certainly helped reduce my anxiety over keeping my kid from having a medical emergency on our vacation :/

My little guy is the same - the Dexcom is a game changer! He is not on a pump and we have to dose him after he eats right now bc he is SO picky. Is there way to find out what kind of foods are usually available? We are first time cruisers - but I know they will have buffets probably al over the place? I am thinking I can make a short list of some items he will probably eat, to have on hand so I can dose him easier/faster and he can get back to having fun. --- I am not a professional carb counter yet like I know some t1d moms are ;)

If he is as picky as you say and there are only some foods he will eat, write those down here and we can probably tell you if available or not on ship.

If it's an open juice box, you can't bring it. My son is now 17, diagnosed at age 1, and we use to always bring on those little 15 carb count juicy juice boxes. They never had a problem with us bringing those on. There is tons of food once on board so don't stress about the food aspect too much (I say that because I know how stressful type 1 is when doing new things!) I still get nervous when going new places. The cgm will be nice to have! our daughter is 8 and has the Dexcom- we love it! Saves probably 8 tests per day since she doesn't know when she is going low yet.
Have a great time!!

Thank you for this info! It's very helpful!! I am trying to plan best I can and I have no idea what to expect. I appreciate your responses!!

If he is as picky as you say and there are only some foods he will eat, right those down here and we can probably tell you if available or not on ship.

Like your basic kid food :) fruits, Mac + cheese (which i have found can be hard to count - some are way higher in carbs then others), hot dogs, hamburger those sorts of things. Do you think they would have nutrition info on that stuff? It's not really like made to order Type foods ya know - but there can more variation on the carbs then I ever would have thought/known before my son developed this disease.

some snack foods we always have on us at all times is like string cheese and yogurt tubes - assuming I would not be able to bring those on board with us? Or am I wrong - can I bring his usual emergency snacks?

For kids in the lunch buffet and for nightly dinner the menu will always include cheese pizza, chicken strips, mac and cheese, hamburger, fries, fruit, etc, it has more than that though, but those seem to always be offered.
My daughter ate the mac and cheese every single night! And after the second night, the server noticed she only ate the strawberries out of her fruit so then he just brought her a separate bowl of strawberries every night! She was one happy camper!

For kids in the lunch buffet and for nightly dinner the menu will always include cheese pizza, chicken strips, mac and cheese, hamburger, fries, fruit, etc, it has more than that though, but those seem to always be offered.
My daughter ate the mac and cheese every single night! And after the second night, the server noticed she only ate the strawberries out of her fruit so then he just brought her a separate bowl of strawberries every night! She was one happy camper!

My son would probably do the same! Haha! Do you try to measure the Mac + fruit before she eats it? You are probably able to eyeball it, I bet! How did you dose the Mac? There's a Mac he loves that's 30 for 3/4 cup but the blue box Mac is like 42 ... were they able to give any idea how much the Mac was? Or did you make a good guess?

Wish I had more info but I do know our server on the Magic told us the Mac n Cheese comes from the blue box manufacturer (meaning Kraft). I would tell DCL now and have that listed on your ressie, if you haven't already. You may also ask for any info they have now and be sure to speak with head server and server first day, perhaps they can have you speak with the food manager to get better details. We once sat with a couple that the wife had super food issues and they spoke with them directly that first day, and even the head server that is the head server of all head server and That head server kept coming back to check on them every night, but that was way back when, when there was only 2 ships.
Never hurts to ask...

Wish I had more info but I do know our server on the Magic told us the Mac n Cheese comes from the blue box manufacturer (meaning Kraft). I would tell DCL now and have that listed on your ressie, if you haven't already. You may also ask for any info they have now and be sure to speak with head server and server first day, perhaps they can have you speak with the food manager to get better details. We once sat with a couple that the wife had super food issues and they spoke with them directly that first day, and even the head server that is the head server of all head server and That head server kept coming back to check on them every night, but that was way back when, when there was only 2 ships.
Never hurts to ask...

That helps! We can count blue box haha! Last time I called, they told me to find a "food counselor" once we got on board. I will be the mom at the table with measuring cups lol!

Last edited:
I have no experience with T1D but just wanted to let you know that you can get cups of apple/orange juice from the drink stations by the pools and in Cabanas. You can get cups and keep it in your frig in your cabin. You can also get food from Cabanas and keep in your room, I know they have containers of yogurt in Cabanas at breakfast. They also have lots of different types of fruit. Room service was always pretty quick, I don't think we ever waited more than 15 mins, but there's a better variety of items at Cabanas. Lots of people get food from Cabanas and take it back to their rooms. Is the phone number you've called the one that is for special services? I have no experiences with it, but have read on here how great it is. If your calling just the number for making reservation/general questions, then try the special service number. I don't know what it is, but maybe someone on here does.

That helps! We can count blue box haha! Last time I called, they told me to find a "food counselor" once we got on board. I will be the mom at the table with measuring cups lol!

If you get an app like MyFitnessPal and then use it at home with some of his normal foods, learn to estimate portion size and then you can keep track. While not totally necessary may give you the peace of mind.

If you get an app like MyFitnessPal and then use it at home with some of his normal foods, learn to estimate portion size and then you can keep track. While not totally necessary may give you the peace of mind.

Yes, those apps are very helpful! Would have just thought Disney would have its own resources for the food they are serving for guests!

I have no experience with T1D but just wanted to let you know that you can get cups of apple/orange juice from the drink stations by the pools and in Cabanas. You can get cups and keep it in your frig in your cabin. You can also get food from Cabanas and keep in your room, I know they have containers of yogurt in Cabanas at breakfast. They also have lots of different types of fruit. Room service was always pretty quick, I don't think we ever waited more than 15 mins, but there's a better variety of items at Cabanas. Lots of people get food from Cabanas and take it back to their rooms. Is the phone number you've called the one that is for special services? I have no experiences with it, but have read on here how great it is. If your calling just the number for making reservation/general questions, then try the special service number. I don't know what it is, but maybe someone on here does.

Thank you for this - I have been calling the general number. I will look for the special services number now!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter