Need ideas for "Chemo" bag

LisaNJ25

DIS Veteran<br><font color=aqua>I paid $300 back i
Hi! My aunt has Ovarian cancer. She had a complete hysteretomy in August. She has had one round of chemo and is going every 3 weeks. He next appt is December 21 so I know she will be tired for her holidays.

My question is I would like to do a "goody" bag of items, things she could use while sitting there for 4 hours receiving the treatment and also things when she is just on the couch and out of it.

I was thinking a Portable CD player since she has so many CD's. I also found this book, I'd Rather Do Chemo Than Clean Out the Garage:: Choosing Laughter over Tears from amazon.com.

Does anyone have any suggestions of other iterms I can put in the bag?

Thank you,

Lisa

my mom likes sudoku.
I bought her the book of easy ones. She loves to do them, but when not feeling well, doing the easy ones is all she can handle.
If she likes cross-words or other types of puzzles.

I would look for things that are easy, because there could be
some general not feeling well, nasea going on.

Who ever is taking her home and keeping an eye on her.
Make sure some of her most tolerable foods are around so if she is hungry, things are palatable.

I am not sure what to add here.. and if she is having chemo at a big hospital, like Mass General, they have tv's at each chair and people watch tv's.

I was thinking since chemo eats calories big time, what about some of her favorite drinks.....maybe some crackers and peanut butter packages or cookies, in case they do not provide them. My husband does have a drink of ginger ale, his fave, and crackers and peanut butter while watching news.. he is a news junkie...

I find that his concentration level is not great while having treatment and to follow a book is not easy for him..

He does like hand held solitaire games which we bring and they are relatively inexpensive....

Daddy's chemo is at his doctor's office and there are usually 2 or 3 others in there but it is quiet, no TV. He likes to read during treatment. He's a tech-nerd so he reads books about computers and software - not "easy" stuff at all! It keeps his mind occupied and he says it makes the time go by faster. A good book sounds like the way to go! Daddy usually sips fruit juice and snacks on peanut butter crackers, his favorites, so getting her favorite snacks would be good. Also, when my Godmother was going through chemo for breast cancer she lost all her hair, so we got her some cute "turban" type head scarves, which she really liked. Something I didn't think of, her pillow was "suddenly very cold at night with no hair" (her words) so we got her very soft towels to put over it at night, which were warmer than a pillow case. She had a great attitude and is 5 years out :cool1: Daddy is still having treatments, but he is a very positive person, even going through the loss of Mom, and has a fantastic doctor so we are keeping hopes up :thumbsup2

Good luck to your Aunt. I know she appreciates your support at this time :grouphug:

What a sweet idea. :) I know when my husband had his chemo he didn't want to read or really "concentrate" on anything... he would mostly just close his eyes and rest. He always had a water bottle with him though and he would often get cold... what about a nice cozy throw? I think comfort is key. Best of luck to your aunt!

a lot of people I know of have knit their way through chemo, and I knit through doctor's visits and ER trips (knock on wood), and it seems to help a lot of people not only be distracted, but genuinley feel better. get her a book and some needles and yarn. it will help her--promise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter