Need ideas for a swimsuit for 12 y.o. dd

I vote land's end. Both DD7 and I are hard to fit, but for different reasons, and lands end fits us well. They have lots of fit options. Petite, lontorso, larger cup sizes ect and lots of things come as seperates. For my DD, we need a different sized top than bottom. SH has a muscular lower body from dance and is thin through the chest and shoulders. We do the seperates and just order a size larger bottom. I have given up fitting her in one pieces. When i get it long enough in the rise and with enough fabric to effectively cover her seat, it is huge in the top. I do allow her to wear a short top (not a string top) with a fuller coverage bottom like a swim mini or the boy shorts. she has this one and really likes it. It is a halter so I think it would offer some support to a devloping girl
although it is only lined, not padded.
http://www.landsend.com/pp/WrapRuff...A3&CM_MERCH=IDX_Swimwear-_-Girls&origin=index

she wears it with this bottom

http://www.landsend.com/pp/RuffleHe...A1&CM_MERCH=IDX_Swimwear-_-Girls&origin=index

I had the same problem with DD was that age. I got her suits at Kohls and Target. I was able to got tankini tops and boy short bottoms.

This year is a big issue she is turning 16 and well lets say we are in double alphabet for her top and I can't find anything. I also don't want to spend $$$ on a bathing suit for her. Sigh...

We tried some Lands End and they were too small for her bust :confused3.

ANy advice for me?? LOL... must be 1 piece or tankinis only! and no skimpy bottoms... I dont want too much do i?? :lmao:
I am in the "double alphabets" as well, and do well at land's end. They have sutis specifically designed for DD and DDD cups, but yo have to order them. They are designed with the needs of larger busted women in maind and are not just upsizes of suits designed for the "general population". I bought a swimdress, but they had some tankinis that were younger looking.

I tought this one would be cute for a younger girl

http://www.landsend.com/pp/BeachLiv...s-_-SpecialSwimSizes-_-DDDDDDCup&origin=index

You ladies are scaring me. I am lucky that my DD11 still doesn't care. I bet that can change tomorrow.

She is wearing her speedos again this summer.

I guess I need to find a more fashion suit for when she goes to the beach with her little catty friends though. Suggestions for flat as a pancake thick super long torso tall child? Targets suits used to fit, but even the largest are too short in the torso, and tankinis and bikinis show way to much belly since she has a long torso.

Guess I will check out Land's end. Those suits NEVER fit me.

My DD11 is the same way. She really doesn't care about fashion at all. I got her a couple of Speedos at Costco last week. I'd definitely suggest Land's End for some options for the beach. Their tankinis provide a lot of coverage. Check out their overstock section. They might have something available in last year's style at a really great price.

You ladies are scaring me. I am lucky that my DD11 still doesn't care. I bet that can change tomorrow.

She is wearing her speedos again this summer.

I guess I need to find a more fashion suit for when she goes to the beach with her little catty friends though. Suggestions for flat as a pancake thick super long torso tall child? Targets suits used to fit, but even the largest are too short in the torso, and tankinis and bikinis show way to much belly since she has a long torso.

Guess I will check out Land's end. Those suits NEVER fit me.
My 11-year olf DD hates bikinis and wears her one piece suits everywhere. She likes Dolfin Uglies for her go-to fun suit: http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/16732.htm . Dolfin also makes some less skany 2-piece suits: http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/25567.htm . The suits do run a little small, though. My DD wears a size 10-12 in girls sizing and she wears a 26 in Speedo but a 28 in Dolfin Uglies.

What size was the suit? My dd is the same size. Do you know if they have it online at Target.com so I can know what to look for at Target?

Thanks!! :thumbsup2

She said it was an XL. She is 5'11" and carries some weight up top, she usually wears a 16. This fit nice & was long enough that it didn't look like her tummy would be showing if she moved around. They do have it online & in more colors than we saw in the store. Love the turquoise!

However, it turns out she didn't like the long strap because it's not adjustable & there were some strings hanging off the seams. There are some similar twist top suits at Penney's so she is thinking of trying one of those instead.

I have bought suits from this company: www.limericki.com . They have some very cute suits that you don't see everywhere. They are not super cheap, but they wash and wear great. Just a sidenote, I don't have any affiliation with them-I just like their suits.

I LOVE Lands' End, just wanted to add that if the kiddos think the regular LE suits are too "old" for their style (sometimes I feel that way too) they might be more interested in the LE Canvas line, the styles and prints are a little "younger."

Both DD15 and DD12 have Land's End tankinis. I let them pick from the women's section. DD15 is a size 2 (c cup :scared1:) and DD12 is a size 4. I told them the "bra" style tops were out of the question, but anything else was fair game. They both chose cute, age appropriate bathing suits that cover everything that needs to be covered, and nothing will fall out, if you know what I mean:thumbsup2.

I know I may get flamed for this, but I refuse to let my daugthers wear what "everyone else is wearing." I'm sorry, but I'm the Mommy and I pay the bills. And they're 12 and 15, they're not "advertising" anything if I have any say in the matter. I can't control what they do 10 years from now, but I can try and shape the direction they're headed.

--Michelle

PS I also have 2 boys, ages 10 and 13. It is SO much easier to dress them.
:thumbsup2 My dd will be 11 this summer and she will not be wearing anything skimpy. We have always taught her to be modest and she has never given me any lip about it .....yet. She picked out 2 tankini's from lands end and 1 from Justice on line. Most of her friends wear skimpy bikinis

Chiming in that I had the same issues with my DD12 too. After trying on countless suits that were way too inappropriate for a 12 year old, I was finally able to convince her to get a cute tankini from Justice, even though she thinks she is 'too old' for Justice now that she is almost a teenager. I can already imagine how much more difficult it is going to get when she *wants* to wear the hoochie bathing suits :headache:

It's tough- I've started a thread or two on the same subject- and my DD12 wants full coverage- as in rashguard and swim shorts. But we need something under the rashguard. So we have some tankini tops, swim shorts, 1 bikini bottom, and rashguards all in lime green and aqua from various places to mix and match. I think we are set- she doesn't have a one-piece, so it will be rashguards all the time unless she decides to show a little belly with the tankini. But she doesn't do a lot of swimming.

NOW, I would like to find some summery dresses and/or dressy tops that she can wear a bra with! They are nearly all spaghetti strap or less, or with somewhat thicker straps but not ones I would trust to be in the right place to be covering a bra at all times. How do girls wear these dresses? Very little out there with a short sleeve or even a cap sleeve. I am looking at girls size 16, and juniors small. Tried JCP, Kohls, Old Navy, Gap. Would especially like a tunic/leggings style since she is not fancy, but so far, none her style.

It's tough- I've started a thread or two on the same subject- and my DD12 wants full coverage- as in rashguard and swim shorts. But we need something under the rashguard. So we have some tankini tops, swim shorts, 1 bikini bottom, and rashguards all in lime green and aqua from various places to mix and match. I think we are set- she doesn't have a one-piece, so it will be rashguards all the time unless she decides to show a little belly with the tankini. But she doesn't do a lot of swimming.

NOW, I would like to find some summery dresses and/or dressy tops that she can wear a bra with! They are nearly all spaghetti strap or less, or with somewhat thicker straps but not ones I would trust to be in the right place to be covering a bra at all times. How do girls wear these dresses? Very little out there with a short sleeve or even a cap sleeve. I am looking at girls size 16, and juniors small. Tried JCP, Kohls, Old Navy, Gap. Would especially like a tunic/leggings style since she is not fancy, but so far, none her style.

The dresses are tough. What about a cute tight tanktop with a built in bra to go under the dress? My daugher wears those under all her shirts as a bra....needless to say she is 10 1/2 and flat as a board :laughing:. We got them at Justice

The dresses are tough. What about a cute tight tanktop with a built in bra to go under the dress? My daugher wears those under all her shirts as a bra....needless to say she is 10 1/2 and flat as a board :laughing:. We got them at Justice

Those won't work when the girl has a larger bust. Dresses are tough. We went to Macys Jr. dress dept and actually found 4 or 5 dresses for DD. We were so excited. She has to wear a bra and it has such thick straps she needs the coverage across the shoulders.

on her dresses. Sometimes she will wear a cammie but she is getting too busty for that. I don't want to let her in on the misery of being large chested and I don't want to give her all of my hangups. BTW I had a reduction 7 years ago so I don't seem that busty to her. Even my sister did so she really doesn't know what she is in for. Poor baby.
Elizabeth

I have given up on dresses covering bra straps. As of now DD has one strapless (actually. it's convertible) bra which works fairly well. She also has no problem if her bra straps show under dress straps and frankly, while it was not EVER done when I was a child, after Madonna showing underwear has almost become respectable.

She also wears shrugs and light cardigans as a pp mentioned. IMO she's still small enough to get away with no bra, but it hurts her so she wears a bra under everything.

lands end makes nice tankini suits that are modest and wear very well. My dd is 14 now nd I have a very hard time purchasing bathing suits that are modest and not flimsy.

My DD wears them over a tank top that covers her bra straps (or a tank with a built in bra, since she can still wear those).

we have had the same problem with DD13 for the past couple years.

we had bought from Athleta - not cheap - but the tops have support and the bottoms have a little more coverage because they are meant for beach sports. DD always just ends up with a rash guard over it though.

She has given up on suits, but I think I might try taking her into Kohls. It seems like every thing with support is too mature looking. She is 13 and doesn't want to wear a suit that looks like her mom would wear it!!!:)

I can't even get started on discussing dresses.....:upsidedow

DD was able to find two tankini suits. Belks had a good size junior mix and match section, she tried on lots of tops and bottoms but ultimately found two cute ones. Thanks for all of the suggestions, I am happy that this search is over.
Elizabeth

DD was able to find two tankini suits. Belks had a good size junior mix and match section, she tried on lots of tops and bottoms but ultimately found two cute ones. Thanks for all of the suggestions, I am happy that this search is over.
Elizabeth

You know, just from the number of responses on this thread it's obvious that this is an issue for a lot of people.
When dd was 12 she had the body of a woman .. but was still in the 7th grade and boy was I frustrated at her choices (as was she). Kid bathings suits.. or totally inappropriate bathing suits seemed to be our only options.

When the girl is "well endowed" or curvy it looks even more inappropriate. It felt like I would never find anything. I did find a "bikini" that was boy shorts with good coverage and a top that I could live with (supoortive, no extra skin, but still cute).

Anyway.. I feel your pain and I am so glad you were able to find something. I compeltely understand!

Yeah, why don't they start installing some support in girls sizes 12 through 18 swimwear? You would think it would be obvious that there is a need for it.

Though maybe the manufacturer's think they will get in trouble for selling "padded" kids swimwear. There was some hoopla about padded swim tops for girls a while back with people saying how awful that was pushing girls to look too grown up. As long as it is not "push-up", I am all in favor of padding for girls that need it- better than clingy wet thin material.:confused3

Definitely a lack of choices- especially when they don't want to show any tummy. Tankinis are more likely to have the support, but there are few that cover the tummy entirely.

So I found two size 16 dresses so far on eBay for DD12- one Justice does have just spaghetti straps but we are going to put a tank top under it. I like it because it goes well past the knees. The other is Speechless and it has a fluttery cap sleeve. The other, which I didn't win, had straps and a bolero jacket. Wish I had put my bid higher- she really like that one. Hopefully the two I won will fit. Between living 50 minutes from any shopping, and lack of time to browse when we are in the city, I decided to take chances on buying online. Can always try to resell or keep them for her sister if they don't fit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter