Need hope for lost and found

tapdancingdonald

Earning My Ears
Hi! I embarked on the Disney Wonder (I believe) on a family trip for three days down to Ensenada from SD. After we got off, we realized a family member of mine had left behind an iPad which is extremely unfortunate. We contacted lost and found, left voice e-mails, filed reports, and waited patiently. We knew it had gone down to the next cruise because we've been tracking it with "Find my iPhone", but now it's managed to find itself in Kentucky and now Tennessee. We were trying to stay hopeful, but now we've received an e-mail saying they'd never found it. Are we better off giving up? :guilty:

Hi! I embarked on the Disney Wonder (I believe) on a family trip for three days down to Ensenada from SD. After we got off, we realized a family member of mine had left behind an iPad which is extremely unfortunate. We contacted lost and found, left voice e-mails, filed reports, and waited patiently. We knew it had gone down to the next cruise because we've been tracking it with "Find my iPhone", but now it's managed to find itself in Kentucky and now Tennessee. We were trying to stay hopeful, but now we've received an e-mail saying they'd never found it. Are we better off giving up? :guilty:
Is there some way to involve the police? Obviously your iPad is off on a new journey, with people who shouldn't have it.

Is there some way to involve the police? Obviously your iPad is off on a new journey, with people who shouldn't have it.
We tried to contact SD police but said they replied it was out of their jurisdiction. I insisted to my family member who lost it that we wait until it settles on an address and try to contact authorities then. It's a fairly newer iPad, pricing at about 1k so in California, at least, that's a felony.

Was surprised though because we left it behind on disembarkation day, so I figured mousekeeping would've been the ones to find it since it was left in our room.

Was surprised though because we left it behind on disembarkation day, so I figured mousekeeping would've been the ones to find it since it was left in our room.
Once you leave, the stateroom attendant props the door open to start cleaning. Any other guests in your hallway who haven’t left yet could conceivably walk into your room (especially if the iPad was visible.)

Check your credit card for possible loss/theft replacement / reimbursement. Or your travel insurance or homeowner’s policy.

I hope (and suspect) it’s a bad guest and not a cast member who now has possession.

The thought of losing an iPad is disheartening. Not just the price; loss is loss.

Check your credit card for possible loss/theft replacement / reimbursement. Or your travel insurance or homeowner’s policy.

I hope (and suspect) it’s a bad guest and not a cast member who now has possession.

The thought of losing an iPad is disheartening. Not just the price; loss is loss.
Yeah, my family member seems to have given up hope and is in the process of wiping it through "Find my iPhone". We were fingers crossed it was being sent to the central lost and found that I'd heard of because the path it had took went through a post service (can't remember if UPS or USPS?) and I was hoping it was going down to Florida or something since apparently it was located there.

Once you leave, the stateroom attendant props the door open to start cleaning. Any other guests in your hallway who haven’t left yet could conceivably walk into your room (especially if the iPad was visible.)

The iPad was not really in plain sight, we think my family member might've forgotten it under the bed sheets or something.

Was trying to stay hopeful, but the e-mail kind of crushed everything. Thank you nonetheless, everyone! :( We'll contact authorities once it reaches an address.

Yeah, my family member seems to have given up hope and is in the process of wiping it through "Find my iPhone". We were fingers crossed it was being sent to the central lost and found that I'd heard of because the path it had took went through a post service (can't remember if UPS or USPS?) and I was hoping it was going down to Florida or something since apparently it was located there.

That is fascinating! (And hopeful). Would love to hear it was mistakenly picked up and was sent by the finder to Disney Cruise Line for return to the owner.

I'd definitely try homeowner's insurance for replacement. It's a large enough cost to warrant a claim and usually such items are covered under insurance. DH lost his prescription sunglasses in the airport once and got them replaced using our home insurance.

In addition to everything people have mentioned I would also contact apple. You should be able to report the device as stolen and you can go through the cloud and set a remote passcode on it and lock it up so essentially its useless to the person that found it.

You can also file a police report for further investigation

When we sailed on the fantasy last month, I discovered 2 drawers of the last cruiser’s belongings in our cabin. They were not found or cleaned out by the stateroom host. I turned them in, but the same thing could have happened with the iPad. The next guest found it and did not turn it in.

I would not count on lost and found. On our January cruise, my vornado fan was taken at the port, and then went into a black hole. I have the receipt where they say they took my fan. Talked with the guest services manager and the manager at the port. Had to fill out a lost and found report. They never found the fan and never reimbursed even though they lost it.

Would it be possible to get onto the FB group of the cruise after yours and make a post on their, about the lost Ipad, to see if the person who has it maybe a member of the group and return it to you ?

Yeah turnover clean is not as should be. I gound a bunch of things of the previous vacationer under my bed together with some filt and turned it in into guest services together with a complaint anout the room not being cleaned as should

Yeah turnover clean is not as should be. I gound a bunch of things of the previous vacationer under my bed together with some filt and turned it in into guest services together with a complaint anout the room not being cleaned as should
Figure room host was demoted because of difficulties in finding help?.
Maybe sent home on the next plane? Hard to say.
Probably get a job on a different cruise line with no problems though.

In addition to everything people have mentioned I would also contact apple. You should be able to report the device as stolen and you can go through the cloud and set a remote passcode on it and lock it up so essentially its useless to the person that found it.

You can also file a police report for further investigation
This. If they were signed into their AppleID on it you should be able to lock it and wipe it. Apple will not help them regain access if it is locked, so at the very least you can sleep well knowing they stole a brick. Unfortunately if they were not signed in, there won't be much you can do. Apple tends to default to whomever has access as the 'true' owner of a device.

I lost a Kindle to a cruise once that was never found and am still plenty mad it was not turned in, never mind something as expensive as an iPad! Some folks are just rotten.

This. If they were signed into their AppleID on it you should be able to lock it and wipe it. Apple will not help them regain access if it is locked, so at the very least you can sleep well knowing they stole a brick. Unfortunately if they were not signed in, there won't be much you can do. Apple tends to default to whomever has access as the 'true' owner of a device.

I lost a Kindle to a cruise once that was never found and am still plenty mad it was not turned in, never mind something as expensive as an iPad! Some folks are just rotten.
Yeah for me its a "enjoy your expensive useless paperweight you jerk" move. We had a phone stolen once and that did make me feel a little better LOL!
Hi everyone, came with an update. We just got an e-mail saying they found it, strangely delayed but I guess things were all sorted out. Thanks for the responses!
Glad they found it!!
Wait, I’m confused about the Kentucky and Tennessee part though. Do you have any explanation for that?
I wana know this as well. Maybe a kid put it in their luggage or something and when the parents noticed when they got home they called the cruise line?

Hi everyone, came with an update. We just got an e-mail saying they found it, strangely delayed but I guess things were all sorted out. Thanks for the responses!
Glad they found it! On our first cruise (Wonder Alaska), one piece of luggage never made it off the ship. It was found during the next cruise. We were told it might be shipped to Orlando first and then sent to us. Perhaps your device was trucked across the country which is why it was showing up in Kentucky and Tennessee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter