Need Help

peppymrscaudle

Earning My Ears
I am leaving for my Disney trip in 2 1/2 weeks. I am replacing my T4i, with a 5D MK III (go big or go home right!). which lenses would work best for shooting fireworks? I have a 50 1.4, I thought about renting an 85 or 35. I figure wide angle might be best. I don't want to be bogged down with too much gear, so much so I miss living in the moment of the trip, but I want to capture great photos as well.

I have that camera and suggest renting the 24-70 ii or tamron 24-70 if you want IS. Then consider a 35 or 50 for low light depending on your needs. The 24-70 should cover your fireworks with a tripod. Also you will love the dual card slots. I shoot lpg on sd and raw on cf and the cards last forever. I suggest getting a 270 ex ii for flash because its lighter weight.

Will the 35 or 50 work for the fireworks? I am by no means a 'serious' photographer, but after 10+ disney trips, I think it's about time I gave up the point and shoot and went for some first class photos.

With fireworks having a tripod is the key. You can work with pretty much any lens. I'd pop a wide to standard zoom on there myself so I had the most flexibility when it came to framing the shot I want.

I have the tripod, filter, remote--all that good stuff. We have a babysitter for two nights so we can photograph and view the fireworks without the kiddos. So it will be my chance to get 'the photo'. We have reservations on 3/20 at Tomorrowland for the Dessert Party. So that's where I'm hoping to get a lot of great photos.

I have the tripod, filter, remote--all that good stuff. We have a babysitter for two nights so we can photograph and view the fireworks without the kiddos. So it will be my chance to get 'the photo'. We have reservations on 3/20 at Tomorrowland for the Dessert Party. So that's where I'm hoping to get a lot of great photos.

An ND filter? There are some threads on here with great advice for using them for fireworks. Do a search. And look at WDWFigment's work, it's pretty awesome and I believe he uses an ND filter a good bit on his fireworks.

I would rent the 16-35 or 24-70 and use your tripod. This way you will not have to switch out lenses during your trip. There is a learning curve going to a full frame and I would not add additional primes to that situation.

Yes it's an ND filter. I will certainly check out their photos.

My husband wants to bring the t4i along as well (for his use). So he's bringing Tokina 11-16, Sigma 30 f/1.4 and (maybe) a tamaron 17-50. He's going to several Braves games and he has dedicated some time while I'm out with the kids to do his own photography thing. I think those three may be fine for him (he might even be able to go without the 17-50. I have no idea what he will actually be 'photographing', knowing him, probably a little bit of everything. Do these seem like decent lenses?

I would think he would want more zoom during a baseball game. During a night game a faster lens would be needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter