Need help with quest

nortonthetraveler

Earning My Ears
I have been tasked with something that I thought would be a lot easier than I thought. Unfortunetly, this is the first time I have been truly stumped. So either this is a closely held secret or I do not know how to look for what I am looking for.

The task was to find the maker/model of a shoe used in Disneyland, specifically used for Alice and Wendy. It is a mary jane style with a Y shaped strap.

Some examples I have found are:

flickr.com/photos/briberry/4424937211/sizes/l/

and

flickr.com/photos/sean_yoda_rouse/4448524904/sizes/l/

I have found similar shoes but they were tap shoes and did not have a soft sole that these appear to have.

I also have seen pictures on flickr, while researching this, that have been taken in the past year. So I am pretty sure that they are currently being manufactured.

I am not sure that this is the right board to post on other than it is a Disneyland board.

Please point me in the right direction, I am getting fustrated at not being able to locate any information on the manufacturer.

They might be custom made for the Disney parks and if not then they're more than likely "work" shoes or orthopedic due to the fact that they are in them for long periods of time. I would do a search for women's work heals.

As a former dancer I'm 99% sure they are dance shoes. As a former cast member (and I know things change) we were required to provide our own shoes. As a challenge seeker I will continue to try and find these shoes for you.

I have a friend in Fla who is REALLY good friends with ::MinnieMo so I'll ask her. And my former dance teacher now owns her dance ware company so I'll ask her as well.
I'll be in touch!!!

Forgot to add: I got really close at this link:
http://www.dancedistributors.com/shoes/tap-character

If you run a search on Google, there are lots of similar shoes, but I didn't see any exact matches.

I would be willing to bet Disney has Alice's shoes made to hit exact specifications. Just a guess, but Alice's shoes would have to be exactly the same every day, so - that would be my guess.

What do you need them for?

- Dreams

P.S. Welcome to DIS!

@iKristin
The ones I was looking for are more like character shoes as opposed to work shoes.

@LuLusApple
That is one thing that I am fearful of.

@Mom2Joce
I was thinking that they were more of a dance shoe. I discovered a few close hits that were tap shoes but they were designed for taps and the shoes I am looking for do not appear to have that type of sole. I have mined Flickr looking for any distinguishing marks on the soles. I thank you for taking up the challenge and helping me. I have noticed that the one used at the Magic Kingdom were a different style than the ones used at Disneyland. I am hoping they have the same manufacturer.

@pixiewings71
I have looked through many sites of dance shoes. I have exhausted my google-ing ability and started looking on more non-retail sites hoping for a clue. That is how I came across this site.

@Disney Dreams
Ditto, I have come close but no cigar. As far as them being custom made, I am fearing that they will be locally made in the Disney costume shop but am hoping that even if they are custom made, they are from a company that they can be ordered from. I know someone that fell in love with the style. Me being known in my inner circle to be able to find anything and everything on the net, took up the quest. Little did I know how hard it would be.

They do look like dance shoes, or similar. Have you thought about taking in your pictures to different dance shops to see if someone might recognize that exact style?

You might want to try E bay too. You can also post a want it product and see if any of the sellers can help you out.

If in fact Disney has them specially made, even if you could locate the manufacturer, I would doubt they would be at liberty to make you a pair without Disney's consent.

JMO,
Dreams

@Gisele

I have emailed a couple of online stores and they either referred me to the tap shoes, I mentioned before, or did not know about that style. Unfortunetly, my work schedule prevents me from going out to stores because I sleep during the day and work later at night and I try to keep my sleep schedule the same on my days off.

@Disney Dreams

I know what you mean but I am hoping for a definitive answer. I mean right now the only one I have for them so far is "go work at Disneyland as Alice or Wendy". I am surprised at myself taking so long to find information about them. I mean I found a site that sold DVD copies of a 1983 cartoon a friend was looking for in less than a month. Of course they were bootleg copies recorded from home made VHS tapes. But, I still found where to get them from, for my friend. If there is an outside manufacturer, I can pass along the information and maybe they can be ordered or custom made. I mean the tap shoes are similar so I don't think the design is trademarked.

I want to thank everyone so far for reading this thread and offering advice. I am patient and hopefully I can get a definitive answer where/who manufactures them and if they can be ordered.

Just out of curiosity, why do they need to be exact copies?

The more I look at the shoes I believe that they are not dance shoes. That is not to say however, that dance store personnel might not recoginize them, all the same. Have you thought of calling or sending an email to Disneyland?

As has been said I don't think you'll find the exact shoes. Did you contact Disney about them? I've had an Alice costume in the plans for a couple years now, shoes are the least of my worries....turning my brunette hair blonde without doing a permanent color is the most....LOL yes of course I'm going to use a wig, but then I have long hair so putting that up becomes my issue. :) Anyway, I think whomever has tasked you with this may need to compromise and not get an exact copy of the shoe. :)

This has got my curiosity charged :surfweb: I have a close friend whose cousin is currently a face character at DL. The very one we are having a discussion regarding her shoes lol. She is also a couple other well known shorties haha
I am texting my friend to have her ask her, hopefully she can shed some light if it isn't a trade secret. :worship: I know they are not allowed to discuss much. But I really always thought the "Disney Wardrobe" dept custom made everything. Part of the magic :wizard: I am prepared to be crushed :scared1:
but then again maybe she doesn't have a clue either, she might just wear em. Lolol

@Gisele
If they are not dance shoes, that might explain why I have come close. I am not sure who in Disney I would need to contact.

@pixiewings71
I am not sure, outside of being asked to look for them, what the plans for them are. I just agreed to look for them. Good luck on the costume.

@LuLusApple
That is so awesome. Thank you very much for doing this. This is the closest that I have come so far to getting a definate answer.

@kylieh
Ya, I also found some similar ones as well.

Just letting you know my friend called her cousin today and left her a message. Hopefully we will know something by tomorrow :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter