• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need Help With Getting A Pay As You Go USA Sim Card

BadPinkTink

Republic of Ireland is not part of UK
After many years travelling to California, Im finally having to seriously think about getting a USA sim card. I usually keep my phone on airplane mode, switch off data data roaming and use only free Wifi. I will be in Disneyland California the first week of general opening of Star Wars Galaxys Edge Land and it looks like it will be a virtual queue, through the App. So obviously I will need data, as unlike Walt Disney World, the park WiFi in Disneyland California, is very hit and miss. I have trie it other years and its just not worth the hassle.

Im from Ireland and have a Huawei bill phone from 3 Ireland and yes I know 3 UK has free roaming in USA, but 3 Ireland, does not, I have looked into this before.

I have 2 options
1. Get a sim card online before I travel to USA
2. Go to a phone shop in LA before I go to Disneyland

So has anyone got a pay as you go sim card online, and if so do you have recommendations or advice?

EDIT 25 APRIL 2019
AT&T sell SIM cards. They have a comparability test on their website. You put in your phone IMEI number and then it tells you if your phone is compatible.

I then used the online chat, and I can get an 8 GB prepaid Sim card for $50. It needs to be bought at an AT&T phone shop or it can be bought online and sent to a USA address.

When I get to LA I will go to an AT&T phone shop and buy it there.

Last edited:
Is there not an option to pay a set fee each day to use your 3 data? I pay 02 £5 a day to use my data unlimited abroad. For me its worth it.

Is there not an option to pay a set fee each day to use your 3 data? I pay 02 £5 a day to use my data unlimited abroad. For me its worth it.

I dont want data for my entire LA holiday, just specifically for the 3 days Im in Disneyland. The cheapest data roaming bundle is 1 month 500mb for €61.50

I dont want data for my entire LA holiday, just specifically for the 3 days Im in Disneyland. The cheapest data roaming bundle is 1 month 500mb for €61.50
The 02 one just charges you when you use it, so if 3 do something similar just use it on the disney days?

Thats outrageous, before I had a 3 contract permanently I got a sim only contract one for one month for £12 for 30gb.

I had one when I first started on ships 5 years ago but had to have a US card to top up (which wasnt a problem because I had that).
Now on ships I have a contract with 3 UK and have had for around 4 years so it's not an issue, but, I know people from Brazil, Australia, Ukraine, Russia and more, who use a 3 UK sim card for the US because they say it's easier and cheaper than the US ones to get and top up and also includes more countries if you were to travel more... so from their experience i would see of you could get a 3 UK card...

I was also about to suggest that it may be easier getting a UK sim card if that gives the data coverage you need

Get a Three Mobile PAYG SIM - I did this last year and worked great. Their standard, for any customers is that the allowances can be used in loads of countries, inc the USA - just the same as if you're at home. You can buy one of their bundle things which gives x GB of data for a set amount and it is valid for a month, or you can just do the old fashioned PAYG which is 1p/Mb, 2p/txt, 3p/min call. I put £5 on the account and just turned data on when I really needed it and couldn't get wifi in the parks (to change a dining reservation or make a last minute fastpass) - was there 12 nights and still have about £1 credit. My husband will put this in his phone next time we go to USA.

It's called GO ROAM

http://www.three.co.uk/go-roam

I actually changed my phone contract to them earlier this year as I was out of contract with Virgin and now get unlimited calls, txts and data for £20/month ... again, including the USA!

thank you for the suggestions BUT I AM IN DUBLIN, IRELAND! Getting a 3UK sim card is not possible for me, as I will not be in The UK between now and going to California.

I actually sorted this myself yesterday.

AT&T sell SIM cards. They have a comparability test on their website. You put in your phone IMEI number and then it tells you if your phone is compatible.

I then used the online chat, and I can get an 8 GB prepaid Sim card for $50. It needs to be bought at an AT&T phone shop or it can be bought online and sent to a USA address.

When I get to LA I will go to an AT&T phone shop and buy it there.

T Mobile and AT&T have good PAYG deals in USA - T mobile does a tourist SIM for about $30 - 21 days unlimited text and calls +2gb 4g data then I think unlimited at 3g, or $40 for 10gb data @4g speeds - no contract and on pre-pay. If you want a "3" sim plenty on ebay for 99p + postage.

T Mobile and AT&T have good PAYG deals in USA - T mobile does a tourist SIM for about $30 - 21 days unlimited text and calls +2gb 4g data then I think unlimited at 3g, or $40 for 10gb data @4g speeds - no contract and on pre-pay. If you want a "3" sim plenty on ebay for 99p + postage.

Thanks, I dit my own research in the end. I am going to go with AT& T. I checked my phone with both AT&T and TMobile. My phone is not compatible with TMobile. I am going to go into an AT&T phone shop near my hotel. I did online chat with them and know the exact type of SIM card I need. I printed out the chat transcript. I prefer to go into the actual phone shop to instead of just buying from EBAY. I really dont trust buying cheap online for something like this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter