Need help with DLR decision- asap!

churchlady

Mouseketeer
Got a courtesy hold for 3 day weekend in October and need to decide ASAP! :hourglass Is it worth using 5 frequent flyers from ATL to arrive Friday night and leave Monday at 4:30? :confused3 DH thinks we need to wait till summer and stay in CAL a week, but if I have 7 days I'd rather do the 8 hours drive to Orlando. Plus, we can do it all for $1500 at DLH with 3-day passes. That's almost $1000 less that WDW for the same time. 3 DDs (9,12,14) have never flown, but if we go to CAL for a week sometime, we are talking a different scenario for MUCHO DINERO!

This will be our first ever trip to DLR. For us it's all about the PARKS and I think we could really pack it in! Plus, we would still be part of the 50th celebration!

Please tell me, is this worth using our frequent flyers which took 2 years to earn??? :confused: Be honest now...I can take it like a big girl!!

I think any trip to DL is worth it. If it's your first trip I would say go ahead and do it. But since you would be going on a weekend I don't know how much you could do. Spend Sat. at DCA and Sunday and Monday at DL. A Monday in October is NOT going to be crowded. Hope you make the right decision! :)

I think it's worth it. And I agree, a week in the summer doing all the sites in the area will definitely cost a bunch more.
But, did you know that the 50th celebration is ending in September? The parade will go on through the end of the year, though. And I would love to take advantage of the Halloween celebration at DCA during the weekends of October. I'm still trying to convince dh we need to do that.

Yes I think it's worth it. However the 50th will be over by October. Depending on the weekend you may be able to do Mickey's Halloween Treat though which sounds like fun.

What exactly about the 50th will be over by October? Will they still be showing the 50th fireworks show? We'll be there the first week on October and I was hoping we'd still see that.

I personally don't think that it's worth it to fly out to California for what in reality is only 2 full park days. If the flight leaves at 4:30 you need to be at the airport by 2:30 so to account for traffic & all you will probably only have till 1PM in the park. I personally did not want to pay to fly (Miami to Calif.) for just 4 days, we wanted to see more since we were already going to be there and who knows if we would ever return. We kept adding and ended up with 16 days! :rotfl2: And we still didn't see everything that we wanted to see! You did say that you are only interested in the parks though, so I guess I really don't know what to tell ya! :confused3 Big help I am huh? :teeth:

Good Luck in deciding. Whatever you choose will be Disney and you will have fun!

I think its worth it. :sunny:
October is a good time to go because even on the weekends, it isn't super crowded. I have heard that the 50th will be over by then but I believe the fireworks show and the parade will continue through fall/christmas season. You may want to double check on that. I wouldn't want you to miss out on the fireworks..the show is amazing!!! :wizard:
You should be able to fit in DCA on Saturday, and maybe Saturday evening you could go over to DL and watch the fireworks or the parade. That way, you would have all of Sunday at Disneyland just for rides, shows, eating, etc.
Thats my opinion and advice, hope I was helpful!!! ;)

I'm going on a Friday and leaving on a tuesday morning very early. I am using my frquent flyer miles, I am going at Christmas, I know it isnt alot of time but I am going, DW cost me more monry in Oct. for 6 days. I wasn't going to use my miles just to go to Florida. I wouldn't want to sit in a car with kids are 8 hrs. I am sure no matter what you shose you'll have fun.

We originally expected to have a 4 day weekend w/F & M off from school but this year's calendar changed to close schools election day instead, so we're down to 3 days!!! The package includes: EE one day, Mickey's Morning Madness, Collectible Pin & Lanyard, California Fun book, VMK virtual rewards, Playhouse Disney preferred vw. It's the Resort Magic Package-still celebrating the 50th, so I guess we're catching the tail end of the fun. If I had that 4th day the decision would be easy, but Oct. 13th is the last day of the 9 weeks and what if the evil teachers pirate: pull an end of quarter test?

Maybe I should just homeschool :teacher: so we can go to Disney anytime we want! :joker:

churchlady said:
We originally expected to have a 4 day weekend w/F & M off from school but this year's calendar changed to close schools election day instead, so we're down to 3 days!!! The package includes: EE one day, Mickey's Morning Madness, Collectible Pin & Lanyard, California Fun book, VMK virtual rewards, Playhouse Disney preferred vw. It's the Resort Magic Package-still celebrating the 50th, so I guess we're catching the tail end of the fun. If I had that 4th day the decision would be easy, but Oct. 13th is the last day of the 9 weeks and what if the evil teachers pirate: pull an end of quarter test?

Maybe I should just homeschool :teacher: so we can go to Disney anytime we want! :joker:

Since you considered missing a day of school (Fri, Oct 13), but are worried the teachers will have an end of quarter test, why not miss a day of school on the other side. If I understand correctly, Monday is a school holiday. Then perhaps have the kids miss Tuesday. I know there are many other there that don't advocate this, and I truly do not make a habit of it. However, at some ages, or certain times of the school year, or depending on your children and the school admin/teachers, this can be doable. This way you arrive Fri eve, spend Sat, Sun and Mon in parks and return Tuesday. I is just something to think about.

As for using your FF miles. Well hubby travels quite a bit, so we have quite a few free flights. However, if we only had a handful that took us 2 years to collect, I must admit I would want to use them for a longer trip with expensive flights. SoCal and DL can be done somewhat inexpensively, if you search for bargins.

No matter what, you will be the decision that is best for your family as you are truly the only one qualified to do that. Enjoy yourselves, no matter what you chose :cool1:

Thank you for idea about Tuesday, I never thought of that!! That would definitely make it more worthwhile. With the frequent flyer thing, it is a conundrum (sp?) for sure. Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. I've got do some more thinking, for sure!

I think flying out Tues vs. Mon would definately make it worthwhile. I think you will regret it if you don't. 2.5 days just isn't that much, especially since it's a weekend and will be more crowded and since you've never been there before. That will give you the opportunity to fit in Aladdin or another show as well as revisiting your favorites on Monday. Just my 2 cents!

churchlady said:
Thank you for idea about Tuesday, I never thought of that!! That would definitely make it more worthwhile. With the frequent flyer thing, it is a conundrum (sp?) for sure. Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. I've got do some more thinking, for sure!

Your welcome. I can relate to you about ideas that hadn't occurred to you. I just had that happen to me on one of my threads. Someone came up with a wonderful suggestion that never even dawned on me. Two heads are better than one. And on here, many heads come together. Yup, gotta love the Dis boards! Go to your "thinking spot" and have a great time whatever you decide.

churchlady said:
but Oct. 13th is the last day of the 9 weeks and what if the evil teachers pirate: pull an end of quarter test?

Flying out on a Tuesday would be good, Tuesday is the cheapest day to fly. As for that Friday and it being the end of the quarter, the teachers will have to have their grades in prior to that day, so I wouldn't worry to much about an end of quarter test.

If you do stick with just the 4 days it would still be fun. Friday October 13th is one of Mickey's Halloween Treat nights, so you could do that Friday night at DCA, it's from 7:30pm- 11:30pm, rides are open so you could get some of the DCA rides out of the way.

Extending your stay at one of the DL resorts by one more night also makes you eligable for a free night there during October. So it probably is worth it for the kids to miss one day of school.

:sunny: Thanks to all of you for your help! Here is the latest on our big decision- I checked on availablility :surfweb: for the 4th night promo if we stay through Tues. and the only thing avail was DLH standard view concierage level. Now my original 3 night $1504 would be 4 nights at $2089. Included in that extra $500 is priority check in/check out, private elevator to concierage level, DVD player w/free rental, nightly turn down service, free continental breakfast every morning, complimentary wine & cheese every evening, all day snacks & beverages (even sodas, water, snacks for our backpack!), and a view of the fireworks from the concierage lounge. At first I was thinking- that's $500 more :scared1: , then I'm thinking "wow, this is like an all inclusive :banana: :woohoo: :banana: ." With one good PS meal per day, everything else would pretty much be covered. I MUST PLACE DEPOSIT TOMMORROW!

So the new question is- is it worth it to spend $2000 for 4 nights and 3 days at DLR for our first (and probably only) trip ever? :confused3

churchlady said:
:
So the new question is- is it worth it to spend $2000 for 4 nights and 3 days at DLR for our first (and probably only) trip ever? :confused3

:thumbsup2 It would be worth it to me. Good luck with your decision!

I live in Minn. Not quite as long a flight, as you, but I'd do it. We are about equa-distance from either of the Disney resorts, and I would still choose to do DL every once in awhile. Having been to both, I really like DL better than the Magic Kingdom at WDW.
I think a long weekend trip is just right.
Oh, wanted to add a couple of things. I find that it is sooo much easier to park hop around. We would go for a couple of rides in one park, go over for a parade or something to the other park, stay at DCA until it closed and then walk right over to DL for more rides (and in that hour and a half we got in about 6 rides at different points in the park.) It's just so much easier to do than at WDW.
Also, I think the time of year you're talking about is one of the best. I'd be a bit cautious of the days/times of parades and fireworks, as they may not be occuring every day. But the crowds are light, the weather is still good. Much better than in the summer.
If I were you I'd like to have one more day, say leaving Thursday, even if it meant getting in late late late, and then have Friday being a full day. But, unless you want to do other So. Cal. I don't know that I'd want to go a full week. And, trust me, having priced them both out, a week at WDW even counting airfare is so much cheaper than a week in So.Cal. You wouldn't need airfare, so I'd suggest doing WDW when you have a longer period of time, and DL when you have a shorter period of time. I know we've arranged it before to travel in different combinations. For example, DH couldn't get off work until x-mas eve, but I was able to get off three days before. We flew out separately, me with the two boys (before we had DD) and DH came later, and then we flew home together. Or, DS1 had to be home for something, and DD, DS2 and I flew out early and then DS1 and DH came later. Don't know the anxiety level of your girls to flying, or what the situation is with why the short trip (because of school or DH work or your work) but it might work for you to split your travel there and then come back together or go there together and split your travel back so that the kids get another day at DL, maybe you can do some girl stuff that DH may not want to do....like Princess lunch or something. Just a suggestion.

I'm paying a little over $2400.00 for going Dec 22 for 4 nights at the GC. I don't know you financial status but if you can do it I would, memories you'll always have :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter