Need Help Surprising a 14 Year Old Girl...

disneycruise100

Mouseketeer
Long story short, I booked a 3 night on the Fantasy for my mom, younger sister and I in July of this year. Obviously, I had to tell my mom so she could request the days off for work.

However, I haven't told my 14 year old sister. I've seen the posts about scavenger hunts and stuff like that, but for a high schooler, I don't think that'll work very well. I've thought about surprising her when we got to the port.. Is that hard to pull off?

Anyone have a good way of surprising a teenage girl?

Thanks!

How about the traditional Disney character phone call?
Surprising her at the port sounds like fun, but then she can't pack her own things (at least not with the right vacation type in mind). I think she would enjoy being part of the packing and planning. Planning and the anticipation is half the fun :)

You could try sending her some cryptic texts or snap chats with emoji clues, hints or riddles that she needs to solve about the trip and let her guess.

My parents once got Disney character picture frames for my sister and myself and put them under the Christmas tree in boxes for us to unwrap (they made sure we each got our box and opened at the same time) and had put pieces of paper with "We're looking forward to seeing you at Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort this May!" in the frames - so we could plan and anticipate. They did surprise us with part of a destination on a family trip - but we already knew we were on vacation, so it wasn't a big deal. And actually Daddy slipped before he got to the guessing game we were going to play when he told my sis (who had a headache) to take his last 2 Alive because "I can get more at the drug store in Key West." But I don't know what his game was going to be.

Something to consider though...not everyone LIKES surprises. You know your sister, so consider how she likes them when planning. Some people react very well to them, but others get pretty upset as for them anticipating is half the fun.

How about the traditional Disney character phone call?
Surprising her at the port sounds like fun, but then she can't pack her own things (at least not with the right vacation type in mind). I think she would enjoy being part of the packing and planning. Planning and the anticipation is half the fun :)

This is true.. I feel like a teenage girl not being able to pack her own bag can be a dramatic situation.

You could try sending her some cryptic texts or snap chats with emoji clues, hints or riddles that she needs to solve about the trip and let her guess.

This is also a good idea! She's definitely on Snapchat all the time.

My parents once got Disney character picture frames for my sister and myself and put them under the Christmas tree in boxes for us to unwrap (they made sure we each got our box and opened at the same time) and had put pieces of paper with "We're looking forward to seeing you at Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort this May!" in the frames - so we could plan and anticipate. They did surprise us with part of a destination on a family trip - but we already knew we were on vacation, so it wasn't a big deal. And actually Daddy slipped before he got to the guessing game we were going to play when he told my sis (who had a headache) to take his last 2 Alive because "I can get more at the drug store in Key West." But I don't know what his game was going to be.

Something to consider though...not everyone LIKES surprises. You know your sister, so consider how she likes them when planning. Some people react very well to them, but others get pretty upset as for them anticipating is half the fun.

I didn't even think of that! Maybe I could put a picture of the Fantasy in a frame...

I'm going to chime in here and agree with others, my tween daughter does NOT like surprises anymore and needs time to "digest" things, so I definitely would vote against telling her at the port. I'd give her at least a week or 2 to let her marinate on it, look at shore excursions and get excited, and definitely time to pack her own suitcase. That 11-15 age range can be a tough one!!

I agree with letting her know well before the trip. I know for my daughter at age 14 half the fun would be in the anticipation and planning. Heck, for me, half the fun is the anticipation and planning. If you plan on doing Port Adventures, it would be good to let her help with those decisions.

I think you can have fun surprising her while still giving her time to anticipate the upcoming cruise. How about some fun magnets or "boarding passes" that you can print out? You can find them for free online (pm me if you want to find them and can't) and then box it all up for her. Maybe add in something like a Disney shirt (or even matching shirts for the 3 of you if she would like something like that) and let her open it all up and find out?

I think you can have fun surprising her while still giving her time to anticipate the upcoming cruise. How about some fun magnets or "boarding passes" that you can print out? You can find them for free online (pm me if you want to find them and can't) and then box it all up for her. Maybe add in something like a Disney shirt (or even matching shirts for the 3 of you if she would like something like that) and let her open it all up and find out?

Yeah, I am not sure any of us are saying not to surprise her. Just not to do it the day of. YouTube has more than a few "surprises gone wrong" where the kids being surprised just don't want to go, etc. and the parents are crushed that their surprise fell flat. (Pretty sure I've read some of those stories on here in the past as well - moreso the parks boards, but still.)

Thanks for all the ideas everyone! I really appreciate it!

I have decided to tell her when I arrive in town from North Dakota. Which is about 2 weeks beforehand. Now time to start brainstorming.

Thank you all for your help!

Long story short, I booked a 3 night on the Fantasy for my mom, younger sister and I in July of this year. Obviously, I had to tell my mom so she could request the days off for work.

However, I haven't told my 14 year old sister. I've seen the posts about scavenger hunts and stuff like that, but for a high schooler, I don't think that'll work very well. I've thought about surprising her when we got to the port.. Is that hard to pull off?

Anyone have a good way of surprising a teenage girl?

Thanks!
I recommend not waiting until the very last minute to surprise her, as she'll likely want to know her vacation plans before she leaves.

You could set it up like you are going to tell her some bummer news like "I'm sorry, I'm going to have to leave town a little early... BUT it's because me, you and mom are going on a Disney Cruise!" Something like that? And I think when you get to town is the perfect timing.

Have you looked at any door magnets for the stateroom yet? Make up a few that you could take on the cruise with you, and tape them to her bedroom door a few days early.

I recently surprised my DD15 with concert tickets to her favorite band. Woke up the morning of, told her to pack some clothes, we're going on a weekend trip! Before we left I gave her the concert tickets, so she could have some anticipation, and honestly I couldn't keep the secret anymore!! Now this was just one night a few hours away, so a cruise would be very different. A week or 2 in advance will be great! She can shop and pack what she wants, but still have the excitement of the huge surprise with little wait. Have fun!!!

I recommend not waiting until the very last minute to surprise her, as she'll likely want to know her vacation plans before she leaves.

Yeah, I'm glad you guys convinced me to ditch that plan. I realized that it wouldn't be fair to her to at least be able to pack what she wants.

You could set it up like you are going to tell her some bummer news like "I'm sorry, I'm going to have to leave town a little early... BUT it's because me, you and mom are going on a Disney Cruise!" Something like that? And I think when you get to town is the perfect timing.

That was my original idea! I may be sticking to that. I just have to make sure I have a camera rolling...

Have you looked at any door magnets for the stateroom yet? Make up a few that you could take on the cruise with you, and tape them to her bedroom door a few days early.

I've bought a few... Good idea!

I recently surprised my DD15 with concert tickets to her favorite band. Woke up the morning of, told her to pack some clothes, we're going on a weekend trip! Before we left I gave her the concert tickets, so she could have some anticipation, and honestly I couldn't keep the secret anymore!! Now this was just one night a few hours away, so a cruise would be very different. A week or 2 in advance will be great! She can shop and pack what she wants, but still have the excitement of the huge surprise with little wait. Have fun!!!

Thanks! I set the home address as my moms so she could keep track of all the cruise docs, and it's been pretty stressful trying to keep the mail from my little sister!

You’re a really cool sister - not helpful to your question, but thought you deserved a pat on the back for your plan to make special memories with your family ❤️ My kids are still young, but I hope I raise them to do thoughtful things like this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter