Need help on cruise to Alaska

babylisa4

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have any recommendations on which cruiseline to use for Alaska? The only cruise we've been on is Disney and we are spoiled by that. We're also Disney Vacation Club so are interested in if the Holland America one we could use our points on is good. Thanks in advance.

I don't know anything about Alaskan cruises, but this website http://www.cruisecritic.com/ has a lot of information and message boards that may be able to help!

Good luck and have fun planning! I think an Alaskan cruise would be too beautiful for words.

We did the Holland America cruise to Alaska two years ago (August 2001) using our points from DVC (actually, there were a few DVC'ers aboard our ship. Holland America is an elegant ship and like you we were spoiled by Disney Cruise Lines--we kept saying this isn't like DCL but after the second day, we stopped saying this since no one can compare to DCL especially with the kids programming (we have a 13 yr old dd). It is largely an elderly population (my husband referred to it as the Ben-Gay cruise) but from what I understand, all of the cruises going to Alaska have alot of older folks (we are in our 40"s). The older people got annoyed at the kids that were on board and some kids were not polite but you get this anywhere you travel. We did the northbound trip from Vancouver to Seward, Alaska and then took the land portion by train to Denali and Fairbanks. I don't think you will regret this cruise at all--Alaska is beautiful (but expensive!) Feel free to email me for any other details.

We just booked for a Land/Sea tour with Princess next May. We will spend two nights in Fairbanks, go Gold minning and ride a stearnwheeler boat. We then catch a Princess car on the Alaska Railroad to one of Princesses' Lodges at Denali. We tour Denali and the next day we take the train south to Talkeentna and another Princess Lodge for more land touring. The next day we catch a motorcoach (can you say bus) to Whittier where we pick up the Coral Princess for a 7 day cruise South bound to Vancouver with stops in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan. We have cat BC rooms, are buying the insurance and flying from SC. Total cost is $7000 for two of us.

http://www.princess.com/home.jsp will take you to their site. We found what we wanted and then started getting prices from local and internet TAs. Ended up booking with a local. She says we should get some discounts or shipboard credits as the time draws nearer.

We like you were hesitant to sail without Mickey.

Let us know what you find.

Russ

ruvidu,
I think you will love Princess, we sailed on Princess last year. In my mind they come as close as you can get to Disney (in terms of quality) as you're gonna get..without the Mouse:)

We are also looking into Princess for Alaska next May. I have a quote from Janice at All Seasons Travel on the Island (sister ship to the Coral) for a mini-suite. As returning passengers, this rate just might be too good for us to pass up:D

We are going to be adventurous and tour by ourselves, one of our group was stationed there for three years, and he will be our "guide".

I agree with the previous poster about Cruise Critics. They are a wealth of info for other cruise lines.

Why can't Disney do Alaska?

Loretta

We recently returned from a 7 night Alaska cruise on the Island Princess from Vancouver to Seward (Seward is being replaced by Whittier next year). We have sailed on the Magic twice, so found ourselves comparing the two.

The ships themselves are very similar in quality, but the service on the Magic seems to have had a few more smiles. We were on only the fifth sailing of the Island Princess, so the staff may have been still getting used to the ship and to each other.

The embarkation area for the Princess is in Vancouver's Canada Place. While striking from the outside, the waiting area, not accessible until after check in, consisted of crowded folding chairs and concrete floors and nothing to look at. Quite a difference!!

I think the food on the Princess was a bit better in the dining rooms, but Topsiders is far better than the Princess Horizon court buffet. However, the Horizon court buffet is open 24 hours a day. The Princess also has a more extensive room service menu, with meals from the dining room menus available. Our server's name on the Princess was Magic - so if we discussed the Disney ship, our server would hear and hurry over. I really think he should work for Disney.

We liked the Princess public areas a bit better, especially the central atrium which had a spiral staircase, an adjacent lounge,and a string quartet each afternoon. We also thought the evening adult options were better on the Princess. The crowd was not partiularly old and seemed similar to the Magic. We observed very little smoking.

Our cabin was a "mini-suite" which was almost identical to category 4 on the Magic, which we have had both times. The balcony on the Princess was about twice the size of the Magic, allowing a full size dining table. There was no split bathroom, even though the bathroom was large with a full size tub. The cost was about $1800 for each of us ($3600 total).

The cruise was beautiful and we chose it over a third Magic cruise. It was a good choice for a change.

I highly recommend RCCL's Radiance of the Seas! My husband and I went last summer and had a wonderful time! The passengers were a good mix of ages. The ship is the most beautiful I have ever been on, with lots and lots of glass. Even when you are taking the elevators you can see outside! Great since on the inside passage you can see land almost all the time, even when sailing, the mountains are beautiful!

I was hesitant about taking a cold weather cruise, but once we did, I actually prefer it over the caribbean! Too bad they cost so much, and the excursions are sooooo expensive!!!

We plan on going back in a few years when are kids are older.

Good luck with whatever you decide, Alaska is AWESOME!!!

We went on the Radiance of the Seas in July of this year. The trip was from Vancouver back to Vancouver with stops in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. We also cruised by Hubbard Glacier, which was awesome. The scenery was beautiful, and we were so fortunate with our weather-highs in the upper 60s and rain only in the afternoon. The ship has some very beautiful areas. we were in a Cat D which is comparable to a Cat 6, with a veranda. there was a ton of space for "stuff", but I felt that they could have designed the room better for clothing-there were only 6 drawers in the whole room, and they were desk drawers. The service was good, but not as polished and happy as onDCL. I had avery bad interaction with "guest services" where I was yelled at. THe shows are late--for late seating, most shows start at 10:45 which was too late for this east-coaster. Still it was an awesome trip, and I'm very glad we went on it.

We went to Alaska two years ago on the Princess Regal. I was the only one in our family that really didn't want to go to Alaska -- I wanted to go to a warm sunny place! As it turned out Alaska was beautiful and I'd go again in a heartbeat!! The Princess Regal was beautiful and the food was great and I wouldn't hesitate to book another cruise on her. Here is the Princess website: princess.com. Another cruise ship I'd suggest and both of my bosses have been on it is the Radiance of the Seas and both raved about it. Here is Royal Caribbean's website: www.rccl.com . One of my bosses has been on Holland America and commented on "the older crowd." My suggestion, however, would be to get a stateroom with a balcony. We had one with a balcony and one inside stateroom. We'll never book an inside stateroom again -- too claustrophobic for us!! We are one family that spends time in our room plus it was nice to sit on the balcony while cruising the glaciers! For info and any questions you might have go to the Cruise Critic website cruisecritic.com HTH.

I did the Regal Princess a few years ago. Excellent cruise. We did a 7 day RT inside passage with stops at juneau, skagway, sitka, and a full day cruising Glacier Bay. A bit on the expensive sid but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Good Luck!

Here's a thought... consider a COMPLETELY different approach. I have been on a Lindblad Expedition to Alaska. It is NOT DCL... there is no nightime show, there is one dining room, there are no kids clubs, there is no spa. But, the ships carry only 70 passengers, they do excursions for hikes, there is kayaking and the most incredible wildlife and scenery you will see. Because of their small size, these trips can go places that bigger boats can't and they can alter their itineraries when something neat happens, like when we spent an hour with orcas playing around the boat. BTW, the food was so great that I gained 5 pounds!

Either way, you will have a great time.

-- Adrienne : )

We went on the Hollad America. It was beautiful. We went on our honeymoon and were about the youngest ones on board, but we had a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter