Need help getting my nervous 5-year-old excited for DLR

Show your child ride throughs on YouTube so they get an idea what to expect. When my daughter was two, she knew what to expect from the videos online. Started with Tiki Room then worked our way up. Reminding her of the videos each time.

My kids to this day (18, 16, and 13) still tell me how awful Mr. Toad is. It is the only ride that they still won't do in the entire resort.
My kids (now that they're adults) think it's hilarious. "You actually get blown up, hit by a train, AND go to hell!" or something like that.

If nothing else, Mr. Toad is a good ride to go on if you're cold. That last room is quite toasty :)

Be aware, Youtube can backfire on you. My granddaughter thought she'd show her brother how "safe" POTC was. Nope, he saw the "fast" drop, and it was ruled off limits.

Oh, and when he was 4, we did get him on the swings, riding tandem with his favorite "helper" (I have a couple teen/now 20 yos who come and help with the kids on trips) when she gave him a "bravery card" (simply an old day ticket) which he put in his pocket and it made him brave. And it was a ride he would ride over and over (but only with his bravery card.)

This is a kid who got to spend his 4th birthday at a preview for Galaxy's Edge, and we did get him to see the "show" Smuggler's Run, more than once! But POTC was too "fast".

Oh, and when he was 4, we did get him on the swings, riding tandem with his favorite "helper" (I have a couple teen/now 20 yos who come and help with the kids on trips) when she gave him a "bravery card" (simply an old day ticket) which he put in his pocket and it made him brave. And it was a ride he would ride over and over (but only with his bravery card.)
This is so sweet! 😍

When I used to visit Disneyland my father always made Mom and me ride Pirates Of The Caribbean with him because Dad claimed that it was his favorite ride in Disneyland but I would always say no but Dad made me ride anyway. Because I'm not usually a thrill ride person or a roller coaster fan I would much rather see shows and meet characters and shop when I go to Disneyland. But i'm not crazy about fireworks either so I know what it might feel to be in your son's shoes. What I recommend for your son and you to do is first start your day with a character breakfast especially at Goofy's Kitchen or Tomorrowland Terrace so your son can meet some characters to get started like if you meet Mickey Mouse at the breakfast he can sign your son's autograph book and get a hug but if you see Mickey again elsewhere your son can just wave hello but if your son loves Marvel heroes you can always meet Marvel heroes at DCA. But avoid The Enchanted Tiki Room if you can because I wasn't impressed with it at six years old and fell asleep during it but you can ride Jungle Cruise or go to It's A Small World. Also give your son a little spending money to spend on souvenirs and some really good choices for your son to buy are shoulder plushies that are easy for your son to carry on his shoulder and your son will get high praise from the characters and people if he wears them and they can detach for your son to snuggle with at night by just removing the magnet. Baseball caps and pressed pennies are wonderful too. Before your trip watch some Disney movies with your son on Disney+ to see what characters he will see to get to know them a little better
Hope this advice helps and have a wonderful trip
Dodger

Be aware, Youtube can backfire on you. My granddaughter thought she'd show her brother how "safe" POTC was. Nope, he saw the "fast" drop, and it was ruled off limits.

This is a kid who got to spend his 4th birthday at a preview for Galaxy's Edge, and we did get him to see the "show" Smuggler's Run, more than once! But POTC was too "fast".
POTC was one done for my granddaughter, she didn't like the pirate battle, or the "spooky " atmosphere.

What I recommend for your son and you to do is first start your day with a character breakfast especially at Goofy's Kitchen or Tomorrowland Terrace so your son can meet some characters to get started like if you meet Mickey Mouse at the breakfast he can sign your son's autograph book and get a hug but if you see Mickey again elsewhere your son can just wave hello but if your son loves Marvel heroes you can always meet Marvel heroes at DCA.
Dodger
Be aware, some kids like this 5yo are nervous of meeting characters. Face characters are usually ok, but non-face characters can often make them nervous. Also, Mickey is only at Storytellers Breakfast and Brunch. Goofy's has Goofy and usually 4 other characters, but not mickey. Tomorrowland Terrace doesn't have characters, but you might have meant Minnie's breakfast at Plaza Inn. Also, no Mickey, but usually Minnie and Pooh and a few others.

Be aware, some kids like this 5yo are nervous of meeting characters. Face characters are usually ok, but non-face characters can often make them nervous. Also, Mickey is only at Storytellers Breakfast and Brunch. Goofy's has Goofy and usually 4 other characters, but not mickey. Tomorrowland Terrace doesn't have characters, but you might have meant Minnie's breakfast at Plaza Inn. Also, no Mickey, but usually Minnie and Pooh and a few others.

Yes, we just did Minnie's breakfast, and we saw: Minnie (outside before going in); Suzie and Perla (the mice from Cinderella); Tigger and Pooh; Chip & Dale; Daisy; Goofy, and Pluto. Definitely no Mickey.

Disney provides great resources that under the heading of accommodations for guests with disabilities, which means many people never know they are there! One of those is a list of attractions with notifications of certain conditions: loud noises, drops, dark, etc. I found this to be priceless at WDW when my kids were young. Not sure if I can link it here. https://cdn1.parksmedia.wdprapps.di...isabilities Matrix Deck UPDATED 120721 v2.pdf

If you scroll down to the very bottom of the Disneyland page, click on "Guests With Disabilities" under the Help heading.

Also, have you ever used social stories? I made these for many different scenarios such as sleeping over at Grandma's, first day of school, flying, and Disney World. The idea is to write a story with your child as the main character, using "I" language. For example:

"My family is going to Disneyland! I have never been there before, but my mom tells me it is fun." Then include a picture.
"I might feel nervous about going to this new place. Mom told me I don't have to ride anything I don't want to. Here are some things that I REALLY want to do: eat ice cream, watch a parade, swim." Then include a few pictures of those things from Disneyland.
"Doing things can be scary. One time I was brave was when I..."

Before Covid, Disney Cruise Line provided an online book that was basically a social story. It was very helpful.

I hope you have wonderful time and make magical memories!

My kids were the same way. My DS though loved to drive the Autopia cars. I had whiplash afterward, but took it for the team :) Then he got to pilot the Monorail - that was a huge help. Then same on the Mark Twain - in the pilothouse. Then he was ok going on Mr. Toad's but disappointed those cars didn't really drive, but we were making progress. Alice was ok and I talked them into the teacups and they were delighted to spin as fast as they could as I dramatically screamed the whole time. They loved that, lol. Your son can "drive" Dumbo too up and down. So you might have to start slow and expect that e-ticket rides may not happen for him this trip, but get creative.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter