• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need Help Figuring Out Park Days/Rides

Amunet

DIS Veteran
Hey guys, I could really use your help. I've been researching guides for fast passes and which order to get them but I am completely thrown off because we will be going a week after Rise of the Resistance opens AND we are taking this trip primarily for the Lunar Festival and Cars Land in DCA. So, the possibilities are kind of hurting my brain and I could really just use your help.

We have 3day non-hopper tickets. Dates are Jan. 23rd (thursday), 24th (friday), & 25th (saturday). We will be doing DCA on the 25th, no matter what, because that is the Lunar New Year :)
I figure we should do Land on the 24th because there is no Magic Morning or EMH, there are fireworks, and the hours are 8am-12am.
So, really, it's figuring out if the 23rd should be Disneyland or DCA and, in some way, figuring out if we need Maxpass.
Land: 9am-9pm w/ MM & EMH
DCA: 9am-8pm w/ Frozen Show (no show on the 25th)

Disneyland
We are Disney World people but Magic Kingdom is "my park", I enjoy the castle nostalgia. For me, it's really about the castle, snacks, and rides unique to Disneyland park. For my s/o, it's about Star Wars, unique Disneyland rides, and snacks. We have not been to Star Wars land at Disney World since its opening. Neither of us are interested in watching Fantasmic here.

Musts:
  • Indiana Jones
  • It's a Small World
  • Mickey & the Magic Map show
  • Millennium Falcon ride
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Space Mountain
  • Mr. Toad
  • Fireworks Show
  • Rise of the Resistance
  • Star Wars Land in general
Would like to ride:
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • BTMRR
  • Buzz Astro Blasters
  • The Disney Gallery
  • Disneyland Railroad
  • Finding Nemo Sub
  • Mad Tea Party
  • Matterhorn
  • Pinocchio's Journey
  • Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthrough
  • Star Tours
  • A Storybrook Canal
  • Roger Rabbit
  • Winnie the Pooh

California Adventures
This feels like this is the park we are really planning for. This date was chosen specifically so we can experience the festival on Lunar New Year day. My s/o has not been to DCA since the 90's, so definitely hasn't experienced Cars Land yet, and he is a HUGE cars fan. He is also really looking forward to the Increadicoaster (nostalgia from California Screamin') and the ferris wheel. Me, I am a HUGE Elsa fan (we both enjoy Frozen) and really excited for the festival and to buy festival merchandise.

Musts:
  • Increadicoaster
  • Ferris Wheel
  • Radiator Springs
  • Lunar New Year Procession
  • Lunar New Year Characters (all)
  • Lunar New Year Food Booths
  • World of Color

Would like to ride/experience:
  • Animation Academy
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Little Mermaid
  • Luigis Roadsters
  • Maters Junkyard
  • Sorcerer's Workshop
  • Toy Story Mania
  • Blue Sky Cellar

If it were a perfect world, we would have park hoppers so we can do both parks on Thursday, alas. I do know that most of the people here recommend Disneyland for two days and DCA for 1, which I agree with but I'm really not sure if it's going to take a long time to get all the characters on Saturday. We don't usually do character lines so I'm not really sure how long they will take, especially since it will be a special event. Also, since we have the 3 day, a huge perk is the Magic Morning, which will only be available on Thursday.
Whew! It is all so confusing. With the information above, should we do DL on Thur/Fri or do DCA on 2 days (but what days?).
Would it be better to splurge on park hopper instead of maxpass for our situation? We have already bought our tickets from a reputable 3rd party, so not quite sure on the price difference on that ... could we upgrade through Disney or would it have to be through the 3rd party if we did that?

I'm rather good at planning but I can't be the most efficient at planning without knowledge how things work and I definitely am not familiar with Disneyland Resort patterns, let alone a festival and popular new ride mixed in.
So, whether you help with a full schedule, a small blurb of your own experience, or anything in-between, all of it will be helpful for me at this point.

Thank you :flower3:

Last edited:
I say take the plunge and upgrade to park hopper tickets. Will certainly give you a lot more flexibility.

A few thoughts:

If park hopper and MaxPass are both in the budget, then get both. Park hopping is insanely easy at Disneyland/DCA, which WDW regulars don’t always realize. If the choice is MaxPass or Park Hopper, then get MaxPass.

I think you’ll have an easier time doing your DCA itinerary in one day. That is, I think it’ll be harder to accomplish your Disneyland itinerary in one day. So, I’d still say two days at Disneyland, one day at DCA.

I stood in line last year on a Saturday to see Mickey during the lunar new year festival. I hadn’t planned on it, but jumped in line because it wasn’t very long, maybe 10 to 15 minutes. I don’t know if that was an anomaly or normal, but it was over in the pavilion by Paradise Garden Grille, where there is not even space for a huge huge line.

Also, it’s still unknown what kind of impact rise of the resistance will have on Disneyland, and if you want to ride it, that’s another reason I’d give Disneyland two days.

I would pick MaxPass over Parkhopper in your situation and do only one day at DCA. We've fairly consistently been able to do almost all the rides other than Soarin' in DCA by 1 p.m., leaving plenty of time to do all of your other DCA must dos and ride repeat.

My strategy:
Get MP for Guardians when you scan into the park, return time should be right after park opening
Head to TSMM at park opening
Get Incredicoaster MP as soon your Guardians window opens, should be immediate return
Ride IC after TSMM and get RSR MP as soon as you scan in for IC, will probably be for 10:30 or 11:00 return time
Ride as many other Pixar Pier rides as you can/want before the end of your Guardians window, if the Ferris Wheel is a priority, I would do this then, before a wait builds up.
Ride Guardians
Ride Luigi/Mater while you wait for your RSR window to open
Once your RSR window opens, ride RSR and book MP for Goofy's Sky School if you're interested in it (also should be instant return)
After riding those (which should put you around noon), get MP for Soarin', which will likely be for 3:00 or later at this point.
Then it's your downtime to do anything else you want for the rest of the day and try to pick up MP for re-rides, stacking MP for the evening.

I will say that in our experience, the Animation Academy gets crowded, so check the character board early in the day on your way to or from Guardians and if there is a particular character you want to draw, be there 30 minutes ahead of time to guarantee you get a spot.

Last edited:

If you can’t get park hoppers, do the first 2 days at DL and one day at DCA. Maxpass is always worth it to me. I would just say on your day at DCA, do Incredicoaster early. I’ve gone 3 times since it opened and every time, it’s broken down for 2-10 hours... You’re not guaranteed to get on Rise of the Resistance with the Boarding Groups (details aren’t known yet) so having 2 days at DL will definitely increase your chances of getting on it at all. If you can get park hoppers, get park hoppers.

Since you like Elsa, I was surprised not to see Frozen play on your list of things to do. If you can, I suggest both Maxpass and park hoppers. You can get a lot done with both, especially with the parks so close to each other.
If you have time, ask to ride in the cone of the monorail. Once around is awesome.

Since you like Elsa, I was surprised not to see Frozen play on your list of things to do. If you can, I suggest both Maxpass and park hoppers. You can get a lot done with both, especially with the parks so close to each other.
If you have time, ask to ride in the cone of the monorail. Once around is awesome.
It’s near the top of her post not in the list.

A few thoughts:

If park hopper and MaxPass are both in the budget, then get both. Park hopping is insanely easy at Disneyland/DCA, which WDW regulars don’t always realize. If the choice is MaxPass or Park Hopper, then get MaxPass.

I think you’ll have an easier time doing your DCA itinerary in one day. That is, I think it’ll be harder to accomplish your Disneyland itinerary in one day. So, I’d still say two days at Disneyland, one day at DCA.

I stood in line last year on a Saturday to see Mickey during the lunar new year festival. I hadn’t planned on it, but jumped in line because it wasn’t very long, maybe 10 to 15 minutes. I don’t know if that was an anomaly or normal, but it was over in the pavilion by Paradise Garden Grille, where there is not even space for a huge huge line.

Also, it’s still unknown what kind of impact rise of the resistance will have on Disneyland, and if you want to ride it, that’s another reason I’d give Disneyland two days.
Good advice.
Id also like to add your 1st fastpass entering DCA should be for radiator springs racers. Those fastpasses go fast!!
For DL focus on fastpasses for space mountain and Matterhorn. I feel like those go the fastest.

I just got back from the busiest time of the year dec. 29-Jan. 3. No max pass, no park hoppers. Did everything at Dca in one day...and rode guardians twice. Only rides we missed were jumping jellyfish and zephyr. Were there on New Year’s Eve! It is super easy...just don’t hop around everywhere...have a strategy, get fast pass if convenient and wait for rides if they are 60 minutes or less. We saw everything and had the best time.

I say take the plunge and upgrade to park hopper tickets. Will certainly give you a lot more flexibility.
Yes, it will. We can only get max pass OR hopper for this trip, not both. So now, deciding if we can survive better with one over the other.

A few thoughts:

You make a lot of sense. Do you think it would be better to do rise of the resistance on Thursday or Friday?
Thanks so much about the info on Lunar New Year! Not many report their experiences.

I would pick MaxPass over Parkhopper in your situation and do only one day at DCA. We've fairly consistently been able to do almost all the rides other than Soarin' in DCA by 1 p.m., leaving plenty of time to do all of your other DCA must dos and ride repeat.

My strategy:
Get MP for Guardians when you scan into the park, return time should be right after park opening
Head to TSMM at park opening
Get Incredicoaster MP as soon your Guardians window opens, should be immediate return
Ride IC after TSMM and get RSR MP as soon as you scan in for IC, will probably be for 10:30 or 11:00 return time
Ride as many other Pixar Pier rides as you can/want before the end of your Guardians window, if the Ferris Wheel is a priority, I would do this then, before a wait builds up.
Ride Guardians
Ride Luigi/Mater while you wait for your RSR window to open
Once your RSR window opens, ride RSR and book MP for Goofy's Sky School if you're interested in it (also should be instant return)
After riding those (which should put you around noon), get MP for Soarin', which will likely be for 3:00 or later at this point.
Then it's your downtime to do anything else you want for the rest of the day and try to pick up MP for re-rides, stacking MP for the evening.

I will say that in our experience, the Animation Academy gets crowded, so check the character board early in the day on your way to or from Guardians and if there is a particular character you want to draw, be there 30 minutes ahead of time to guarantee you get a spot.
So, why maxpass over hopper?
We aren't interested in Soarin, would you suggest a different ride/activity for that time slot?
Thank you very much for laying out an itinerary, it helps a lot!

If you can’t get park hoppers, do the first 2 days at DL and one day at DCA. Maxpass is always worth it to me. I would just say on your day at DCA, do Incredicoaster early. I’ve gone 3 times since it opened and every time, it’s broken down for 2-10 hours... You’re not guaranteed to get on Rise of the Resistance with the Boarding Groups (details aren’t known yet) so having 2 days at DL will definitely increase your chances of getting on it at all. If you can get park hoppers, get park hoppers.
Without hoppers, would you suggest trying rise of the resistance on Thursday or Friday?

Oh, I thought when she said she and her son both liked Frozen, that meant the movies.

Wishing them a great trip.
Yeah, the Frozen show would be a must see if I knew I was going to be park hopping. Right now we don't have hoppers.
We will only be able to get hoppers or maxpass, not in the budget for both (unfortunately).
I do not have a son, I abbreviate 'significant other' as s/o cause I'm lazy lol.
Thank you so much for your best wishes :)

Good advice.
Id also like to add your 1st fastpass entering DCA should be for radiator springs racers. Those fastpasses go fast!!
For DL focus on fastpasses for space mountain and Matterhorn. I feel like those go the fastest.
Thank you for the advice! Do you think it would be possible to ride the racers twice in one day?
Oh, thanks! Good to know! I don't like the Matterhorn but s/o is looking forward to it. Do you think Indy goes fast, too? That ride is the second most important for us at DL.

I just got back from the busiest time of the year dec. 29-Jan. 3. No max pass, no park hoppers. Did everything at Dca in one day...and rode guardians twice. Only rides we missed were jumping jellyfish and zephyr. Were there on New Year’s Eve! It is super easy...just don’t hop around everywhere...have a strategy, get fast pass if convenient and wait for rides if they are 60 minutes or less. We saw everything and had the best time.
Please sensei, show me your strategy ways.

You make a lot of sense. Do you think it would be better to do rise of the resistance on Thursday or Friday?
You should try both days, because if it’s anything like WDW then it will be difficult to ride and you may not get the opportunity. Currently there are more people at WDW each day trying to ride than the capacity of the ride, so not everyone is able to ride.

It’s not entirely clear exactly how the process for RotR will work at DL. But they have announced they will use a virtual queue called Boarding Groups. Basically, you’ll use the DL app to reserve a spot in line and it will notify you when you are able to ride. These spots are filling up very quickly at WDW so not everyone is able to join the line, so I’d expect the same at DL.

Keep an eye out for how the process works once RotR opens at DL.

We rode racers twice on NYE and could have done single rider line and done it more.
I say definitely get Max pass and use it to load up on fast passes! DCA can be easily done in 1 day. Do DL for 2 days, especially since Star Wars will be more crowded. We don’t hop, choosing maxpass instead. Plenty to do in each park! :)

Indy is supposed to go down for refurbishment but not sure when. But I would definitely get a fastpass for it earlier in the day if possible.

Without hoppers, would you suggest trying rise of the resistance on Thursday or Friday?
I’d plan on both. You’re not guaranteed to get on it so having 2 chances is better. You will have EMH on Thursday so you will probably be let in earlier which may or may not make a difference as far as getting a boarding group for the ride.

Use parades to your advantage, lines are short during them. Stay late. We rode smugglers run twice in one hour between 10 and 11. Busiest ride in DL is Space mountain. Get a fast pass for that early in the day. Two hours later, get a FastPass for Indie. We tried to do as many rides in one land when we were there providing the line was under 60 minutes. I don’t think Maxpass or hoppers are necessary and honestly, people are constantly in their phones look8ng stressed and missing the magic. We checked times for rides when we were done our land and then went there. However, we are healthy and fit and adult and know the parks well and always go for 5 days.

So, why maxpass over hopper?
We aren't interested in Soarin, would you suggest a different ride/activity for that time slot?
Thank you very much for laying out an itinerary, it helps a lot!

If you aren't interested in Soarin', I'd check the RSR return times after you've done the other major rides once and see if they're at evening return times yet. If not, you can look at the return times for other rides you'd like to try again, and pick the one with the earliest return time or keep monitoring the return until an evening time is available. The great thing and bad thing about MP is that it's almost too easy to get any rides you want as often as you want by monitoring for cancelled MP. I almost like the 90 minute break that comes with picking up an evening RSR MP, because it forces us to go do non-MP rides, character meets, he Animation Academy, etc.

Busiest ride in DL is Space mountain. Get a fast pass for that early in the day. Two hours later, get a FastPass for Indie.
I would actually say don’t get a Fastpass for Space unless you have young kids. The single rider line has never been bad in my experience and I’ve never waited more than 10 or 15 minutes for it. For Indy, however, never use that single rider line (only waited in it once for 30 minutes and just gave up since we didn’t move at all. And that was when standby was 30 minutes.) and get Fastpass as much as possible.

One reason for park hoppers might be based on your boarding group for ROTR. From what I've read about how it's going at WDW, some people are park hopping because they have a high boarding group number and lots of time to kill. There, they give 2 hours to get in line once your boarding group is called. But that's how it's going in Florida. I also read it breaks down a lot, which further delays things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter