NEED HELP FAST!! Plasma vs LCD/LED

Kies99

I Can has Cheezburger???
Alright DisDads...I need your help fast!

Cyber Monday deal I'm considering: LG 50PV450 50" 1080p Plasma TV for $700 at Sears (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05775921000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1)

Should I get this?
(Need help deciding as soon as possible as 1 day deal).

Details:

Room is approximately 12' x 16'. Tv will be in the corner at an angle. There is a window to the left (not as tall as wide) and a big bay window on the right. Gets a bit of morning sun through the window on the left and later in the day some sun (not direct) comes in through the bay window. NO CURTAINS OR BLINDS. No overhead light but two small lamps (60w bulbs) and one floor lamp (75w).

We watch mainly either early morning (news, kids stuff before bus) as well as evening/night. Like sports/action flicks, lots of Netflix through Wii as well as Wii gaming (maybe switch up to PS3 or Xbox once new tv purchased).

Concern:

GLARE. Everything else with Plasma (and this one in particular) is what I want out of a TV. The glare issue with Plasma's (and I have no idea what its like on this specific tv) is what has me on the fence. I'm worried that there may be too much glare on a plasma. I have an old tube tv right now and there have been a few times in the morning or middle of the day if I happen to be home and watching/gaming where I have put blankets over the windows. Because of this I'm really concerned.

HELP ME OUT!! WILL I BE OKAY?? IS MY WORRYING OVER GLARE A NON-ISSUE??????

Alright DisDads...I need your help fast!

Cyber Monday deal I'm considering: LG 50PV450 50" 1080p Plasma TV for $700 at Sears (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05775921000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1)

Should I get this?
(Need help deciding as soon as possible as 1 day deal).

Details:

Room is approximately 12' x 16'. Tv will be in the corner at an angle. There is a window to the left (not as tall as wide) and a big bay window on the right. Gets a bit of morning sun through the window on the left and later in the day some sun (not direct) comes in through the bay window. NO CURTAINS OR BLINDS. No overhead light but two small lamps (60w bulbs) and one floor lamp (75w).

We watch mainly either early morning (news, kids stuff before bus) as well as evening/night. Like sports/action flicks, lots of Netflix through Wii as well as Wii gaming (maybe switch up to PS3 or Xbox once new tv purchased).

Concern:

GLARE. Everything else with Plasma (and this one in particular) is what I want out of a TV. The glare issue with Plasma's (and I have no idea what its like on this specific tv) is what has me on the fence. I'm worried that there may be too much glare on a plasma. I have an old tube tv right now and there have been a few times in the morning or middle of the day if I happen to be home and watching/gaming where I have put blankets over the windows. Because of this I'm really concerned.

HELP ME OUT!! WILL I BE OKAY?? IS MY WORRYING OVER GLARE A NON-ISSUE??????

If you have decent blinds on these windows you'll be fine.

I have a similar situation where we have three windows in our 16x16 Living room and also have my Plasma in a corner of the room. We have good, light limiting blinds on our windows and glare is a non-issue.

LED's and LCD's are better on the glare issue. I believe I saw a 47" LG LED at Sam's Club (if you're a member) for $679.

Here's the Link

Good Luck!

I'm a big fan of the LED LCD sets.

Plasma is going to run be heavier, hotter, use more energy, and is still subject to burn-in from things like static video game backgrounds and bottom-of-the-screen stock ticker bars (less than they used to be, but don't believe the hype. Burn-in is still an issue). Aside from that, there's no question that glare remains a more significant issue for plasma sets than for other technologies.

Thanks guys, for the replies.

I'm going to focus towards LCD/LED.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter