Need help deciding

Mom2SamandJames

DIS Veteran
The DSLR camera my husband ordered as my Christmas present is not coming, so the company is refunding our money. I would like to get a good DSLR camera to be used taking pictures on vacations, pictures of the kids in my class, and mostly pictures of my children. I was wondering what you recommend in the $750-$800 range. I have a friend with a Canon EOS Rebel T1i who loves his. The other options I have considered so far are the Canon EOS Rebel XS and the Nikon D5000. What do you knowledgeable photographers suggest?

Thanks!

Dawn

If you go Canon, I'd strongly suggest looking at the T1i or T2i over the XS. You'll get a lot more camera for just a little more cash. You might also consider Pentax. They'll give you the best bang for your buck when it comes to entry level DSLRs.

But the decision isn't something that you can solely base on price and features. Go hold them in your hands at the store and play. See what fits well.

Having had a T2i and now shooting with canon digitally and Mamiya for film, I can highly recomend the Sony A55, which has some cool features like in camera HDR and an articulating LCD screen. Plus video is 10x better than the t2i! Oh it can also do 10 frames per second compared to the T2i's 3 frames per second.

About a week and a half ago, another poster was looking for a DSLR with a budget of $700. I did some research and below is what I found from the major manufacturers. This should give you a starting point. As others have said, I would heartily recommend you handle the different models to ascertain what system would work for you. Good luck and if you need anything else please ask.

I took a look around and with a budget of $700 (approx) you are probably looking at the following models (with an 18-55 lens):

Canon T1i- the T2i is currently $800

Nikon D5000

Sony A33

Pentax Kr

I don't know much about the Olympus so someone else can comment on that line.

Remember besides just the camera, you will have to budget for memory cards, extra battery and other accessories as you deem necessary. If $700 is your max budget for everything then you may have to go down a model level. As you have indicated that you have read, it is important to handle the cameras and look at all the options. Also I would recommend to look at the entire line to see if it is going to meet your needs into the future. You are buying into a system and unless you have unlimited funds you don't want to be switching often.

Pea-n-Me sent me a PM and stated the Olympus entry level camera is the E-620 and it is within your budget. That's another option.

Thank you for all of your wonderful thoughts. I stated my budget, but that was the budget for the camera purchase. I have extra money set aside for the memory cards, extra batteries, and other necessities. I plan on going to our local camera shop this week to actually get my hands on the cameras and see which one seems the best fit for me.

You came to the right place. Everyone helped me out so much in narrowing down my purchase when I realized I needed to go digital for my classes this semester.

I just purchased the D90 today, and the base price with an 18-105 lens at WalMart is $999. You have to put it into the shopping cart to get that price, though. I was shopping around and found that one. Amazon also had a few products from Nikon below retail. You'd said your budget was ~$700, so the D90 is out of that range. For me, after trying about a dozen DSLRs in the past week between all the big box retailers in the area, the D90 felt good in hand and the features I needed were all there.

Another poster recommended www.dpreview.com and that site is incredible. If you want a side by side comparison, they'll do it. I also did that with www.newegg.com to get an idea of features vs. price.

Beyond that, I'm a newbie to DSLR, but not to SLR in general. Good luck shopping!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter