• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need help deciding between DLH and GCH

mamaofthree

Mouseketeer
We are a family of 5 and have never stayed at either one. Planning an August trip and had previously booked the Disneyland hotel deluxe view but now I'm wondering if I should change it to a GCH standard room instead. It's the same price with the military rate. I thought for sure the kids (9,11 and 13) would pick the DLH so I never even asked them before booking. My middle one says the GCH looks more homey and she'd rather be close. She hates walking a lot and is the one that gets worn out the most on our trips. We stayed at Paradise Pier once and I could book a view room there for a great rate but the elevator issue was really an inconvenience. What do you think? How does the room size compare between the bunk bed GCH rooms and the 2 queen and sofa bed DLH rooms? What about noise level? I felt like the walls at PPH were thin but maybe it was just the obnoxious neighbors we had. Thx for any input!

How does the room size compare between the bunk bed GCH rooms and the 2 queen and sofa bed DLH rooms?

We have stayed at the GCH in....
1. 2Q bed 2 connecting rooms
2. 1Q with the bunks
3. 2Q with daybed

ALL rooms with a daybed are located at the front of the hotel overlooking the drive up drop-off. The noise from the vehicle traffic out front was never an issue. Nor was the foot traffic in the hallway. It's nice and close to the lobby and elevators.
The other two room types don't seem as large but only by a little.
The bunks are a nice touch for three kids. However, the length is shorter than a normal twin bed.

What about noise level?
Noise was never an issue. I never heard anyone in the next room or walking down the hallway and we are light sleepers.

I felt like the walls at PPH were thin but maybe it was just the obnoxious neighbors we had.
When we stayed at PPH, every morning at the crack of dawn we heard the 'BEEP...BEEP...BEEP' of the delivery trucks. And our stay was in the off season when the parks opened at 10am. We won't stay at PPH again due to this and its' distance.

The first time we stayed at the GCH we asked for a quiet room. BIG mistake on our part. We ended up with a room farthest from the lobby. The walk from the lobby seemed longer than the walk from the park entrances to the hotel lobby. The trips after that we have learned to request a room near the elevators.

We haven't stayed at the DLH since the remodel so I don't know how the room space compares. We'll be at the DLH in March so I'll find out then.

Geemo

We stay at the GCH anytime it's in our budget. It's the favorite of my kids (now 11 and 12), and mine too! I'll try to hit all of the points in your post:

--My kids still love the bunkbeds, and the trundle will be handy considering you have three kids. We haven't used the sofabed at DLH since we're a family of four.
--My kids prefer the one slide at GCH over the multiple slides at DLH - I have no idea why.
--The walk is noticeably shorter from the GCH. We don't bother getting a locker because the hotel is so close.
--DLH rooms seem bigger to me, but I like the bathroom set-up better at GCH.
--As far as noise, the connecting doors at DLH are dreadful. We would have been fine at GCH if we weren't so close to Downtown Disney (the musician's amps are cranked pretty high). I believe the standard rooms overlook the parking lot, so that shouldn't be a problem for you. It's not that much more for a woodland / courtyard view if your budget allows for it.

If these are your two choices, then you're in good shape. Both are great hotels.

Thank you for the replies! I know the bunk bed rooms aren't guaranteed but if we scored one of those does anyone know if those are located in certain spots? It doesn't matter if they are smaller than average- my kids are small for their age and don't like sharing beds so that would be the ideal setup. We had that setup at the legoland hotel and they loved it! Interesting point about the bathroom setup- I'm going to see if I can find photos. That's actually a big deal when 5 people in one room are trying to get ready and I hadn't even considered that so thank you.

Ok,I just double checked prices and I can afford to do the step up from standard at the Grand- woods/courtyard view. It is barely more than the price of a standard room. Deluxe view is just too much of a jump. Even with a discount this is a splurge for us but I'm tired of staying on Harbor. We decided as a family that we would rather take less trips and stay on site than stay on Harbor anymore.

Ok,I just double checked prices and I can afford to do the step up from standard at the Grand- woods/courtyard view. It is barely more than the price of a standard room. Deluxe view is just too much of a jump. Even with a discount this is a splurge for us but I'm tired of staying on Harbor. We decided as a family that we would rather take less trips and stay on site than stay on Harbor anymore.

Like I mentioned, on our first stay at the GCH the room was a long ways from the lobby. We had a woods/court yard view. In fact it's the one that the Monorail goes through. Very pretty, the grandkids like watching the Monorail cruse through. We had 2 connecting rooms with queen beds for 7 people. When my son read about the sleeping bags they offer, he wanted one. So we called and they sent one up. He slept on the balcony and enjoyed it in the morning when the Monorail began running.

Just be sure to request a room close to the elevators.

If you do get a room in the wing by DTD, there are stairs you can take down the let's you out right by the World of Disney store or near there.

The bathroom setup is nice. From the door you have a hallway to the sleeping area. Before the sleeping area off of the hall is the bathroom area. The tub/shower and toilet are in their own area with a sliding/pocket door to close off for privacy.

Here's a picture I found on the internet.
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/27/a5/ff/bathroom.jpg

Geemo

Thank you for the replies! I know the bunk bed rooms aren't guaranteed but if we scored one of those does anyone know if those are located in certain spots? It doesn't matter if they are smaller than average- my kids are small for their age and don't like sharing beds so that would be the ideal setup. We had that setup at the legoland hotel and they loved it! Interesting point about the bathroom setup- I'm going to see if I can find photos. That's actually a big deal when 5 people in one room are trying to get ready and I hadn't even considered that so thank you.

I could be wrong, but if you book a standard room with 3 kids you will get a bunk room. I don't think the grand has any other option for putting 5 in a room. At least I have never seen a room that accommodated 5 without the bunk (the bunk has a trundle under the lowest bed).

The DLH, again from my experience, has 2 queens and they make up a small couch into a bed. You have to call housekeeping to get the couch made up into a bed. My kids when they were little called it the "magic bed"

Both hotels are great. I personally love the GCH, but the rooms in the DLH are bigger. I also think the pool at the DLH is better with their themed monorail slides. Even before the renovation on the pool, by kids loved the pool at the DLH hands down over GCH.

But, honestly, they both have their ups and downs. Personally, I'd pick the GCH over the DLH. However, you can't go wrong with either.

Edited: I was researching further. guess they do have other configurations for sleeping 5 if you don't get a bunk room. It looks like they have a couch they make up into a bed (like at the DLH). I always ended up in a bunk room. Those rooms must be a little bigger. Then the bunk rooms. But, again, I have never stayed in any room but a bunk room with my kids.

The DLH has bigger rooms, better pools, and a nice retro-disney feel. The hotel basically screams disney, and has a fun upbeat feel to it. On the other hand, the grand is closer, more luxurious, and has a better lobby. It depends how you would like your vacation to be. They are both some of the best hotels in the area, and depending on your room location, a room at the GCH can turn out to be as far as a room at the DLH. Many also feel that the DLH is more kid-friendly, and characters such as Goofy sometimes stroll the lobby or the pool area. It has been recently renovated, and overall, it is a wonderful extention to the theme parks.

We were in the same situation as you for a while for our June trip. We had booked the Disneyland hotel deluxe view, but with the GCH so close to the price of DLH, we were kind of second-guessing our desicion. But after a little more research, we realized that each has their own pros and cons, and that you couldn't really go wrong either way! The DLH looks AMAZING so we are going for it!

The other two cents I wanted to put in, since it sounds like you travel to DL with some frequency, have you ever considered a DVC rental? At this point, it is probably too late to book a room for August, but if you tend to plan a minimum of 8 months out, you could think about a 1 bdrm for your family of 5. The price for a 1 bdrm, would probably be pretty equal to paying cash for a GCH room. Plus in a DVC room you get a full kitchen, washer/dryer in your room and 2 bathrooms. But, you did say you have a military discount, maybe those rates are very good or better than an AP rate.

Anyway... just a thought for you to consider.

The DLH, again from my experience, has 2 queens and they make up a small couch into a bed. You have to call housekeeping to get the couch made up into a bed. My kids when they were little called it the "magic bed"
Just to clarify, the couch turns into a long twin. My adult daughter usually sleeps on it, and says it is very comfortable. You don't need housekeeping to make it up as the have it made, and you just have to flip the back down to get the bed.

We prefer the DLH over the GCH, simply because of room size.

Just to clarify, the couch turns into a long twin. My adult daughter usually sleeps on it, and says it is very comfortable. You don't need housekeeping to make it up as the have it made, and you just have to flip the back down to get the bed.

We prefer the DLH over the GCH, simply because of room size.

Thanks for clarifying. I didn't mean to make the bed sound "small"

Since the VGC opened it has been a while since I stayed at the DLH. I haven't stayed at the DLH since 2008. I never made up the bed for my kids, I called housekeeping and they did it for me while we were not in the room. I suppose I could have done it myself, but I didn't.

I have stayed at all three Resort Hotels and with the Grandkids along I prefer the GCH . You can`t beat the location. If anyone gets tired , or wet from the Rapids ,or needs something from the room , it`s right there. The courtyard room is a good choice. Avoid any rooms overlooking DownTown Disney. The noise from music and drums goes on until 10pm. One time we got placed near where there is a gap between two of the wings of GCH and all the noise from DTD funneled through. I told the front desk that the noise was unacceptable and they moved us to a much quieter location.

I have stayed at all three Resort Hotels and with the Grandkids along I prefer the GCH . You can`t beat the location. If anyone gets tired , or wet from the Rapids ,or needs something from the room , it`s right there. The courtyard room is a good choice. Avoid any rooms overlooking DownTown Disney. The noise from music and drums goes on until 10pm. One time we got placed near where there is a gap between two of the wings of GCH and all the noise from DTD funneled through. I told the front desk that the noise was unacceptable and they moved us to a much quieter location.

If you like quiet, I second your thoughts on a DTD view. Even from the DLH, I preferred to not have a room that faced DTD. My favorite room at the DLH (though the furthest) was in the Fantasy Tower facing the parking lot. Never had a problem when I requested that view :rotfl: We liked this tower because, A) that non-view is very quiet and B) you are close to some handicap parking and for my parents who often travel with us this worked out well.

Happy travels!

The DLH has bigger rooms, better pools, and a nice retro-disney feel. The hotel basically screams disney, and has a fun upbeat feel to it. On the other hand, the grand is closer, more luxurious, and has a better lobby. It depends how you would like your vacation to be. They are both some of the best hotels in the area, and depending on your room location, a room at the GCH can turn out to be as far as a room at the DLH. Many also feel that the DLH is more kid-friendly, and characters such as Goofy sometimes stroll the lobby or the pool area. It has been recently renovated, and overall, it is a wonderful extention to the theme parks.

We were in the same situation as you for a while for our June trip. We had booked the Disneyland hotel deluxe view, but with the GCH so close to the price of DLH, we were kind of second-guessing our desicion. But after a little more research, we realized that each has their own pros and cons, and that you couldn't really go wrong either way! The DLH looks AMAZING so we are going for it!

I agree. DLH is totally Disney-fied and has little surprise touches at every turn. GCH is just lovely and warm and inviting and imo MUCH closer. I'm old. There are days that heading past the Grand and seeing that hat W.A.Y. down there seems daunting. The back entrance to DCA is perfect. I've been known to just zip into the park to grab a corn dog and be back in the room before nappers knew I was missing. I love the GCH so much I bought DVC points there, so that is my go to hotel, but I love the DLH for theme and the renovations are wonderful and the Tiki Bar too fun. Tough choices!

Having stayed at all 3, GCH would be my first choice. The location just can't be beat. Yes, the DLH rooms are bigger but the distance to the parks wins it. I also liked that the GCH had the balconies and you can open up the doors for fresh air. We had one of the DTD rooms and I did not find the noise to be a problem. At DLH we were in the adventure tower by Taratonga or is it trader SAMs facing the pool and they had some sort of jungle music playing into the evening and the morning and that I could hear more than the Dtd noise but not a big deal.

You are right that you are not "guaranteed" a bunk bed room. However, with three kids, Disney is going to try their very best to accommodate your request. They want everyone to have a bed, if possible.

I have stayed at both hotels, and much prefer GCH. I like the location, and it is more luxurious.

I have had "noise" problems at both hotels. With DLH, I had a room facing DTD and the live music was really loud. GCH has always been quiet, with the exception of one trip where our room overlooked the lobby. That piano that everyone loves so much? Not so much when you have a 5 year old trying to sleep ;-) But we did love the Woods/Courtyard view because our son loves watching the Monorail swoosh by.

DLH is our favorite. It's a little further from the parks, but it has more of the Disney feel to it. GCH is beautiful, but if I want the redwood/ski resort feel, I'll drive a few hours north to the real mountains. GCH is convenient if you don't like walking, but on the other hand, you can take the monorail into the park from just across the street from DLH. And if you get a room up high enough in the Frontier tower, you can watch the fireworks from there and avoid the crowds.

You also mentioned PPH. I think this one actually has the worst walk of all. Plus, it's noisy. We never had a problem with the elevators, but we also were up super early. If you go with PPH, the extra paid for the view, IMO, is not worth it. It's a great view of DCA, but noisy and if you're hoping to see WoC from the room, rather disappointing.

Thanks again for all the input. It sounds like we really can't go wrong, but I went ahead and switched our reservation to the Grand. The price was the same and because it is summer we will most likely be spending more time in the hotel than we do on our winter trips, so it will be nice to have a short walk. Since I originally posted this question, my kids got together and decided they would all prefer GCH over DLH- I've just always told them it was so out of our budget that they never considered it. Thank you Disney for honoring our military with a discount! Can't wait until August!

Thanks again for all the input. It sounds like we really can't go wrong, but I went ahead and switched our reservation to the Grand. The price was the same and because it is summer we will most likely be spending more time in the hotel than we do on our winter trips, so it will be nice to have a short walk. Since I originally posted this question, my kids got together and decided they would all prefer GCH over DLH- I've just always told them it was so out of our budget that they never considered it. Thank you Disney for honoring our military with a discount! Can't wait until August!

Your kids are going to LOVE LOVE LOVE the extra ammenities at GCH! :blush:
We love letting the kids (nieces/friends kids) pick their hotel activities. Nighttime movies on the lawn, The Art of the Craft hotel tour, the hotel Treasure Hunt, the Disneyland Treasure Hunt, the character towel making class, and the private Disneyland Magic Shop event.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/hotels/grand-californian-hotel/recreation/

Enjoy!! So happy for you pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter