Need food box ideas

AndreaDM

<font color=red>Yeah...we mainly colored that day<
A friend of mine recently got custody of her 2 grandchilden, not legally yet, but they are living with her and she is totally supporting them. She is retired and gets SS and a small pension but cannot get any SNAP assistance for them at this point. I know things are very tight for her from what she's said, they are 2 boys age 3 & 5. Anyway, I'm going to give her a Walmart gift card for Christmas but also a box of food, mostly geared toward the kids. I'm trying to not make this look like "charity" so if I say it's for the kids I'm sure that won't bother her as much. What would be some good things to buy in addition to the standard mac&cheese and peanut butter? I may do one bag of fridge/freezer items but most will be non-perishable.

I'm really confused it geared toward the kids. So do you want kids food? or are you telling it's for the kids?

either way
milk
eggs
cheese
bread
meat
jelly
fruit
veggies
hamburger meat
potato
jello
pasta
i

It's a very nice gesture of you to help your friend. Tell her to try to get on WIC as well

"I'm really confused it geared toward the kids. So do you want kids food? or are you telling it's for the kids?"

Sorry for the confusion, but both. Of course the food is for anyone, but if I gear it more towards the kids I don't think she will take it as charity from me. I'm trying to be sensitive. She doesn't drive either, but once a week her sister takes her food shopping.

Thanks for the suggestions, it's been a while since I had little ones at home and my mind just blanked thinking about what to stock up on.

Rice and dried beans. Steel cut oatmeal. Tomato sauce. Spices. Dried fruits. Pasta. Canned fruits. Soup. Milk powder. Towels. Diapers. Anything that can last and suitable for both adults and kids.

For shelf-stable items for kids:
Peanut Butter
All Fruit Preserves (2-3 types)
Maybe a 2nd type of nut butter - my kids love Nutella
Crackers (so if bread runs out, PB crackers are an option)
Tomato Soup, Chicken Noodle Soup
Mac and Cheese Cups, Spaghettios
Cereals (single serve might be great)
Oatmeals (single serve)
Dried Fruits - Cranberries, Raisins, Dried Apples, Dried Apricots
Rice Krispie Treats
Goldfish
Microwave Popcorn
Fruit and Veg Juice Fruit Snacks
Nutri-grain bars (or other granola bars)
Shelf-stable Yogurt Pouches
Fruit Sauce Pouches (Apple, Multi-fruit)
Diced Fruit Cups
Nuts pouches (honey roasted or simple salted peanuts)
Box of Flavor-Ice (great dessert item)
Hot Cocoa Mixes (the ones with the extra calcium that just use water) (another great dessert/cold winter item)
All-Fruit Juice Boxes
Milk Boxes
Bottles of Apple Juice, Orange Juice, Grape Juice, Pineapple Juice

To add dinner items
Pastas - Spaghetti, Ziti, Tortellini (the filled stuff)
Pasta Sauces - Lots of Tomato...then maybe an Alfredo and a Pesto
Parmesan Cheese (big jar)
Jars of Roasted Red Peppers
Diced Tomato Jars
Jar of Minced Garlic
Olive Oil/Canola Oil
Nice Salt/Pepper
Boxes of Instant Rice, Cous Cous, Quinoa
Roll of Polenta
Cans or Pouches of Tuna, Salmon, Chicken Salad
Chicken Broth quarts
Shelf-stable root vegs - potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, squashes
Evaporated Milk (always good in a pinch if you run out of milk)
Jars of Chili/Beef Stews
Spices - Italian Seasoning (or Basil), Thyme, Rosemary
Fruit-based Muffin Mixes
Pizza Crust Mixes
Biscuit Mixes
Pancake Mix
Veg Dressing (Ranch or Blue Cheese)
Ketchup (boy does my son eat ketchup!)
Salsa
Syrup

And for the freezer/fridge
Mozzarella Sticks and Shreds
Cheese Slices
Stouffer's Family Meals (or another option)
Chicken Tenders - either prepared or fresh
All-beef Meatballs
Frozen Veg - Corn, Peas, Spinach
Frozen Fruits (Berry Blend, Peaches)
Apples/Oranges/Bananas
Baby Carrots
Breads
Waffles/Pancakes
Eggs
Bacon and Sausage
Frozen Pizzas
Frozen Ravioli

So, those are my ideas:)...what I might do is make a kid box and sneak in a few of the shelf-stable dinner items from my list and then make a giant shelf-stable fruit display for the mom (buying the fruits a day before)...

I'd put a pineapple in the center, and decorate with clementines, apples, pears, lemons, limes, green bananas, oranges, grapefruit, mangoes, pomegranates, etc and make it seem "gift-like" and not "charity-like"...I'd probably buy a bowl or plate and cellophane to pull this off (I wouldn't buy grocery fruit baskets b/c that fruit will be 5-10 days old, and you will want the freshest you can get)...

Last edited:
Great suggestions here. I have to add this...we are a foster family, and for our very first placement, I was really surprised how overwhelming dishes became. I don't know why a couple more cups, utensils or plates felt so different, but it did.

A friend sent me a bulk order of paper plates, plastic forks, plastic spoons and plastic cups.

I literally cried when I received those.

For whatever reason, disposable plates forks, etc at even just one or two meals a week was a HUGE stress and time saver.

When juggling the stress of a new family dynamic, kids' trauma from removal, and all the other things that comes with stepping up for kids in this way, anything that you can do to help the adults save time, stress and/or money goes such a long way. Thank you.

Great suggestions here. I have to add this...we are a foster family, and for our very first placement, I was really surprised how overwhelming dishes became. I don't know why a couple more cups, utensils or plates felt so different, but it did.

A friend sent me a bulk order of paper plates, plastic forks, plastic spoons and plastic cups.

I literally cried when I received those.

For whatever reason, disposable plates forks, etc at even just one or two meals a week was a HUGE stress and time saver.

When juggling the stress of a new family dynamic, kids' trauma from removal, and all the other things that comes with stepping up for kids in this way, anything that you can do to help the adults save time, stress and/or money goes such a long way. Thank you.

That is a great idea and something I'd never have thought of! I will definitely add some paper plates to the list. And thanks to everyone else for all the food ideas. It sounds so simple but I don't shop for kids. I also want to buy it all in one trip, I shop at Giant Eagle and have 20% foodperks right now so I want to take advantage of that!

I would skip all of the processed junk and stick with a box of fresh produce and meat.

If you want to add things like paper plates and paper towels...might I suggest a picnic basket presentation? The kids will love it, especially if it means they can have an indoor picnic and you can put a lot of your shelf-stable food products in here, too (b/c, by definition, picnics have to be shelf-stable:)...I wouldn't buy an actual picnic basket, but more a "Little Red Riding Hood" open basket which is both cheaper and can fit more...

Edit to Add: Another option to sneak fresh fruit and nuts in without "charity" - present the kids old-fashioned stockings stuffed with clementines, apples, pears, boxes of raisins and craisins, bags of different nuts, a bar or two of chocolate, and a candy cane...tell them the story about how kids used to race downstairs on Christmas morning to see if they could get to the bottom of the stocking and pull the big orange out of the toe...

Last edited:
How about gift cards to a local grocery store that delivers? Amazon also has a grocery delivery service. Might be good since she doesn’t drive.

You have been given a lot of great suggestions. I would add Vienna Sausage, homemade slice and bake cookie dough (to put into freezer), kid's medicine (ibuprofen and actiphenemine) band aids, Mickey Mouse plates, cups, silverware for the kids, Nesquik, an apple slicer, raisins.

It's an odd gift to "give to kids" a box of food. Unless it is just "treats" it will look like a charity box.

I think clothes or shoes for the kids would be more appropriate. Kids outgrow things quickly.

I remember back in the day when grandparents would give the kids the McDonald Dollars. Do they still do that? If there is a McDonalds with a Playplace nearby that Grandma can take them to to use the McDonalds dollars and Grandma get a little breather while the kids play.

ETA: Looks like McDonald's does not do the old style gift certificate "dollars" but just the plastic gift cards now.

Well, while this is not a Food Bank situation exactly, having volunteered there they say canned fruit is often the most welcome food item.
Canned fruit is more expensive than many more commonly given non-perishable food items, and kids love fruit.

Paper products - paper towels, toilet tissue, Kleenex, paper plates, napkins, plastic container, zip locks baggies

Basic condiments - PB and Jelly - ketchup, mayo, mustard, BBQ sauce, cooking oil or olive oil, salt, pepper

Canned goods - veggies, spaghetto's, ravioli, soup - for her and the kids. Fruit cocktail, mandarin oranges, pears, peaches

Boxed items - stuffing, scallop potatoes, rice, instant mashed potatoes, pasta

Jars of red sauce, boxes of pasta, yellow rice bag, package of dried beans, boxes of chicken, beef and vegetable stock.

Fresh fruit and veggies - a bag of apples, or oranges, baby carrots, celery, bag of potatoes, a couple of onions.

Cereal, breakfast bar, pop tarts, raisin

Cookie, brownie, cake mixes and frosting, and sprinkles maybe throw in some Christmas cookie cutters.

Cookies, gummies, and some treats Little Debbie's, oatmeal pies, apple turn over.

Dish detergent, or dish washer tabs,

Shampoo and soap for the kiddos, also socks, PJ's

Also you could make a socking for each of them, or find out a toy that the kids really want and wrap that up to go under the tree.

Living on a fixed income, she should be able to get WIC, and more than likely some food stamps, with the kid being so young... also info on preschool and after school care if needed.

Thanks everyone, lots of great ideas! I'm heading out this weekend to stock up! She only has a regular sized fridge with the freezer above it, so I can't get too many frozen things. To clarify, this is a box for her to help out with feeding the kids, not a box for the kids although I definitely will put some "fun" stuff in it as well. Unfortunately we live where there is no grocery delivery, but I believe her sister takes her shopping once a week. That's why I got a Walmart card, she can get food or stuff directly for the kids. One thing I know I won't get is pasta sauce, she's very old school Italian and would probably be very offended by a jar of Ragu lol!

Thanks everyone, lots of great ideas! I'm heading out this weekend to stock up! She only has a regular sized fridge with the freezer above it, so I can't get too many frozen things. To clarify, this is a box for her to help out with feeding the kids, not a box for the kids although I definitely will put some "fun" stuff in it as well. Unfortunately we live where there is no grocery delivery, but I believe her sister takes her shopping once a week. That's why I got a Walmart card, she can get food or stuff directly for the kids. One thing I know I won't get is pasta sauce, she's very old school Italian and would probably be very offended by a jar of Ragu lol!

I know I didn't emphasize this above, but I would also remember the beverages for the kids b/c 1. most folks always think of eating vs drinking, 2. beverages tend to be 30% of your grocery bill expenses, 3. beverages tend to be the heaviest part of your bought items, and 4. it's an easy way to get vitamins, minerals, and calcium snuck in for kids turning their noses up at items, especially when combined into smoothies with fresh fruit and veg...it's why I put a bunch at the bottom of my list. With it being winter, cocoa is a no brainer, but 100% juices and all milks (in both big bottle, can, and box form) also have their place:)...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter