Need clarification on the new alcohol policy...

lornak

DIS Veteran
I know that I can bring two bottles of wine onboard when we first board the ship. But what about in the ports? Can we bring on additional wine from the ports (to consume onboard)? Or will alcohol purchased in ports be stored until we disembark? We are doing the Norway/Iceland cruise and I would really like to bring some local wines onboard to enjoy in the room!!

I know that I can bring two bottles of wine onboard when we first board the ship. But what about in the ports? Can we bring on additional wine from the ports (to consume onboard)? Or will alcohol purchased in ports be stored until we disembark? We are doing the Norway/Iceland cruise and I would really like to bring some local wines onboard to enjoy in the room!!
Each adult is allowed to bring 2 @ 750ml bottles of wine or a 6 pack of 12 oz beers at each port of call.

My question - which when I finally book (come on October 2017!!) I will ask DCL about is...the beer I like isn't in six packs, it's more like wine bottles, so how is that going to qualify? Guessing in the wine bottle category, but I'll find out!

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/187/599/
The experience is likely to be hit or miss. Some security screeners may allow you to bring on two wine-sized (or under) bottles of beer because they either don't recognize that it's not wine or they are willing to exercise common sense. Others may be sticklers for the exact wording of the policy that limits beers to up to six bottles pr cans of no larger than 12 oz. each and force you to leave it behind for pick up after the cruise. If you're willing to risk not being allowed to take the beer on board then give it a shot, but you're not going to have any real recourse if they decide not to allow you to take them on board.

The experience is likely to be hit or miss. Some security screeners may allow you to bring on two wine-sized (or under) bottles of beer because they either don't recognize that it's not wine or they are willing to exercise common sense. Others may be sticklers for the exact wording of the policy that limits beers to up to six bottles pr cans of no larger than 12 oz. each and force you to leave it behind for pick up after the cruise. If you're willing to risk not being allowed to take the beer on board then give it a shot, but you're not going to have any real recourse if they decide not to allow you to take them on board.

Thanks! I would likely only take one bottle - I don't drink all that much or often so I wouldn't _really_ miss it if I didn't have it. It would just be nice to know I have what I enjoy.

That bottle is a 12 oz bottle. It would qualify, even if it has a cork. You can bring six of them.

Thanks! Not in front of them at the store to know for sure the different sizes, but the small ones always _look_ bigger than 12 oz. (probably because I don't drink enough of other beers to compare :))

Thanks! Not in front of them at the store to know for sure the different sizes, but the small ones always _look_ bigger than 12 oz. (probably because I don't drink enough of other beers to compare :))

The nice thing about the small bottles of Lindemans is that they give not only ml but oz as the measurement. :D

The funny thing about all this is that I have 12 oz. bottles of beer that are 64, 82 and 130 proof respectively. They still qualify technically as beer, but they might as well be spirits.

Quite off topic, but it's nice to know that I'm "meeting" not only people who like Disney as much or more than I do....but also enjoy the same obscure beer I do.

The nice thing about the small bottles of Lindemans is that they give not only ml but oz as the measurement. :D

The funny thing about all this is that I have 12 oz. bottles of beer that are 64, 82 and 130 proof respectively. They still qualify technically as beer, but they might as well be spirits.

Most boxed wine is larger than the 750ml limit as well.

Especially if you unbox it after it's "empty" and cut a hole in the bag to reclaim what's left. I got 3 glasses out of one last time we had one in the cooler.

No hard alcohol. If you buy it in a port, they give you a slip for pickup on embarkation morning.

Which means if you are flying and need to put it in your checked luggage, you can't take advantage of checking your luggage all the way to the airport the night before. You'll have to haul at least one checked bag to the airport yourself so you can put your bottles in your checked luggage the morning of disembarkation. Most lines give you the bottles the night before disembarkation, but not Disney.

so i did buy 2 "sun tan lotion" rum runners. they worked great. Fit about 2/3 of a fifth of malibu rum. I also brought on 4 little pineapple juice and 12 starbucks double shot cans all in my carry on. NO problem. I also bought about 10 small airplane size alcohol..all plastic bottles, plastic cap. Put them in my shoes and bathroom. Got all in no problem. Then in port, i bought about a 9 more little plastic bottles, and made it in no problem through security in my cargo pockets. I did buy some beer in port and that was fine too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter