Need Christmas gifts ideas for son leaving for Boot camp after holidays

TupperMom

Earning My Ears
My son joined the Marines and will leave for boot camp shortly after the holidays. I am at a loss as to what to give him for Christmas this year. As I understand it, he can't take anything with him to boot camp and he has no idea where he will be deployed to after all his training is done.

I hate to give him gifts that are just going to sit someplace for months or even years.
What are some good ideas as to what to give him?

Maybe make up a few faux "gift cards" for care packages for when is is finally stationed somewhere and can use a package of stuff? You will probably do so anyway. But, it's a good reminder to him he doesn't have to feel funny about asking for certain items. I've read where, depending on where he will be stationed, the prices of the store on base or in the area are super high. Way too high for the enlisted soldiers to pay for. Simple things like shampoo, toothpaste and laundry detergent are pricey.

Go to AnySoldier.com. Click on some names to get specific ideas of what they will ask for. This is a site for soldiers who don't have anyone they know to send them items.

Gift cards to clothing stores he likes. Many people lose weight in Boot Camp and leave with their clothes not fitting them. A laptop, a good pair of headphones, and an Amazon Prime/Hulu/Netflix subscription to watch movies are great to have in the barracks room during training/deployments/duty stations. You could give him a certificate stating you'll buy his Dress Blues when he graduates Boot Camp. If he doesn't have a good pair of running shoes, that would be beneficial. You do get a pair in Boot Camp, but honestly, they aren't the greatest and most people don't continue to use them after they graduate. For something he could use before he leaves, you could do a gift certificate to the movies or an escape room or whatever local places he might like or a bottle of his favorite cologne.

Gift cards to clothing stores he likes. Many people lose weight in Boot Camp and leave with their clothes not fitting them. A laptop, a good pair of headphones, and an Amazon Prime/Hulu/Netflix subscription to watch movies are great to have in the barracks room during training/deployments/duty stations. You could give him a certificate stating you'll buy his Dress Blues when he graduates Boot Camp. If he doesn't have a good pair of running shoes, that would be beneficial. You do get a pair in Boot Camp, but honestly, they aren't the greatest and most people don't continue to use them after they graduate. For something he could use before he leaves, you could do a gift certificate to the movies or an escape room or whatever local places he might like or a bottle of his favorite cologne.

These are good ideas. The weight change is real. And it's not always weight loss. Both my nephew and my son gained weight in boot camp. My nephew built enough muscle in his legs that he needed to get new jeans after boot camp.
My son just finished Air Force Basic. He was able to use his own tennis shoes. If the Marines are the same, I would definitely get him a new pair before he leaves.

I also like the idea of an "activity" you could all participate in before he leaves, build some memories.

Thank you all so much for your ideas - I definitely like the idea of gift cards for his favorite places and some activities to do to build memories for him and for me. I am so proud of him for daring to do this, willing to give up so much of his life to serve in our country's military. And I am also scared for him because I am his mother.

Thank you all so much for your ideas - I definitely like the idea of gift cards for his favorite places and some activities to do to build memories for him and for me. I am so proud of him for daring to do this, willing to give up so much of his life to serve in our country's military. And I am also scared for him because I am his mother.

:hug:

There are various support groups online and in real life for moms of military personnel. I know there is NavyForMoms.com for the navy. There HAS to be one for Marine moms too.

No experience with gifting
but wanted to wish ur son the very best of luck
Thank him for his Service !!!!!
And thx to ur family as well

In Boot you cant do nothing, you cant leave the base, you cant goof off at all, your just gonna have to tlak to him, and tell him when he gets to his first duty station, you will do it up for him

When my brother was in boot camp we were penpals, and he sent A LOT of letters for someone who usually doesn't enjoy writing! Maybe some envelopes and stamps and a few handwritten letters from family to start him off? I think it was exciting to share news with a different group than his recruit buddies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter