Need chimmeny repair/replace advice

frannn

<font color=blue>please stop the madnesssss alread
Our chimmeny has been losing pieces since we moved in this 75 year old house 2.5 years ago. We had a company give us an estimate on repairing it 2 months ago and it was about 1600-yikes! That was to put a stainless steel liner inside and a collar outside (just repairs). We wanted a second estimate, which came to 3600, to rebuild the chimmeny with masonry and put the liner in. The guy who gave us the estimate said our chimmeny is made of mortar and that it is detereorating. He pulled out a clump of "sand" to show DH how bad it is, although DH did not go on the roof to see for himself. He mentioned a metal chimmeny that would not be as strong as brick, but would be somewhat less expensive. We did not get details or prices on this. The second guy said we need to replace the chimmeny, not repair. How do I know who to believe and who did a better job looking at it? How do I proceed? Thanks!

Never had to deal with this, just bumping to see if someone else can help.

We are putting a new metal liner in our chimney now too!Our quote was for $1,100 and my DH is going to help a little.I don't know where you live,so maybe the differance is just a geographical thing ;) although they aren't too far apart.

As for a whole new chimney price,I think that is in the ball-park also.We also got a quote for a new outside chimney(same guy)and I believe it was $2,500-$3,000.

Just be glad your problem is a falling apart chimney,ours has a massive creosote problem and the smell is awful sometimes!It has ruined our floors and after we re-line the chimney,we have to replace the diningroom/kitchen floors :mad: .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter