need AP help quick! Doc are you out there?

colleen mcmaster

Disney Geek
We're about to buy our first AP passes next week for use in Feb. Have heard on this board (but can't remember where) that AP's are now being activated when purchased (now) instead of first day of use (Feb.) Does anyone have the absolute final answer on whether this is true and if so who did you get it from? This may just apply to renewals but it seems as if a lot of people have been told that it's for new APs, too. Also, does anyone remember where the original thread that I'm referring to is? CRS syndrome setting in early:rolleyes: Thanks!

If you buy them through a local Disney Store or over the phone from WDW, they will send you a voucher. You have to go to guest services in one of the parks to activate the voucher (when you go in February). Your use dates will be Feb. 2002 to Feb. 2003.

Hope this helps.

Cyn:bounce: :bounce:

You are correct that at one time, an annual pass renewal (at a discount rate from the initial AP purchase rate) was good for one year from first use. This was a good deal, since you could buy at the lower renewal rate and then activate the pass when you next visited WDW, getting a full year from that date even if your original AP had expired some time earlier. Now (since June 2000, I believe), AP renewals are dated from the expiration date of the old AP, so each is good for one year. Although this is certainly consistent with the AP designation, it does potentially reduce the length of time the pass holder has to use it, particularly for those who do not visit at the same times each year. Renewing AP holders now need to evaluate their travel plans to decide if they should purchase at the renewal rate or just purchase a new AP, depending on how the expiration dates will fall relative to their visits over the next year.

Here is a link to an earlier thread relating to Annual Pass Renewal.

Ralph

If you buy an AP at a park, the year begins at purchase. If you buy a voucher at TDS, the year begins when you activate it at a park. This applies for all new purchases.

If you are renewing an AP- the year just continues from the original purchase/activation. There is no longer a "float" for renewals.

Hope this helps!

Thanks everyone. I thought we would activate them at the park after buying at TDS. However, we've been hearing LOTS of people saying that they've had CMs tell them that the activation date is the date of purchase whether it's a renewal or a new AP. Didn't know if this was another change in light of the economic downturn or just a rumor. Either way it seems to be causing a lot of confusion. I'll assume that your info. is correct, Doc. Thanks!

colleen,

Just to confirm - if you purchase your annual passes at TDS, they give you a voucher to take to the guest services at WDW to activate. The clock starts ticking when you activate the voucher not when you buy it.

Just so you know, TDS does not date stamp the voucher when they sell it to you. I bought some vouchers from TDS for some friends last week and they were all dated as being issued 12/00. So, WDW has no way of knowing if I bought the vouchers last week or yesterday.

Hope this helps.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Be sure when you exchange your vouchers for the actual AP to check teh activation/expiration date on the actual passes.

I've heard a few times of CM's not coding it right - your AP should have an activation date of TODAY of you are exchanging your voucher today, with an expiration date of next year (probably the day before today of next year).

Just make sure to check teh dates, and if they aren't right, to have them fix it right then and there. If there are any problems, have teh CM get their manager, and keep going up the ladder if you do have problems.

My two cents!

Originally posted by JillU-DVC
I've heard a few times of CM's not coding it right - your AP should have an activation date of TODAY of you are exchanging your voucher today, with an expiration date of next year (probably the day before today of next year).

I've only had one AP so far, but it was actually good for a year and one day... I purchased it May 27 and it expired May 27. I wondered if I'd really get in the second May 27, but wasn't there to try it.

I can't comment on the voucher rules, though, since I bought it at Epcot Guest Services the day I needed it.

Originally posted by Peter Johnson

I've only had one AP so far, but it was actually good for a year and one day... I purchased it May 27 and it expired May 27. I wondered if I'd really get in the second May 27, but wasn't there to try it.

Gee, a free extra day and you're not even a Florida resident. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter