need advice

Acedink

Mouseketeer
hi. we've done DW the past 4 years and have decided to do DL in May. I always like surprising my wife and daughter with stuff (pick a pearl or the haunted mansion pictures in the shop). stuff maybe not super well known.

Any good ideas of stuff to treat them to on our first trip to DL?

Thanks!

How old is your daughter?

Maybe a VIP package at Medieval Times or the Pirates Dinner Adventure where they get to be part of the show.

How about a special shopping experience at South Coast Plaza.

Head up to Universal Studios Hollywood and do the VIP Experience.

How about a personalized glass mug from the crystal shop on Main Street? They can pick there character and then have their name etched on it. The mugs are a great size for hot chocolate.

Maybe make a reservation for Blue Bayou, which is inside the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. Or, the World of Color dessert party. Both of those need a reservation booked in advance, but Disneyland only takes reservations 2 months out.

Another thing that is nice is booking an Afternoon Tea at the Disneyland Hotel. They only have it on the weekends.

I second Afternoon Tea at the Disneyland Hotel. There is also the World of Color dessert party that they might enjoy. At the Off the Page store in California Adventure they usually have artists there on the weekend. Your daughter can choose a character and up to three colors (I think) and the artist will sketch and dedicate it.

Ask for a map at the Jungle Cruise. It's a free 8 1/2 x 11 map printed on parchment style paper. It's a fun little souvenir that you have to be "in the know" to ask for.

I second the character (or even ride) sketch that Mary Jo suggested. Off the Page in DCA has the characters in a book that she can choose from and have them customize it (dates, names, etc.). Disneyana has the characters as well as pictures of the rides that the artists can do. I absolutely love commissioning the artists to do one sketch for me when I go. I have a couple from Disneyana that are incredibly special (at least to me). One is of Mickey in the stretching portrait room in the HM. I spoke with the artist who had come up with the design and she told me that she actually won their competition with it (apparently all of the artists have a competition every year where they come up with a new design to be put out). The other one I love shows just Mickey, dressed up in his Halloween costumes under regular light. When you shine a black light on it, the Hatbox Ghost appears behind Mickey like he is stalking him. In talking with the artist who drew that one, she said that they were planning on doing more drawings with the black light pencils from now on. Apparently, their former boss had nixed the idea when they had originally suggested (she had no idea why) and now their new boss loves it and is encouraging them to use the black light pencils in more of their artwork.

It's been really special for me to chat with the artists who spend their time doing this. They really seem to enjoy it and love talking with people who appreciate their artwork. The artists at Disneyana seem to have more time to chat with you than the ones at Off the Page although I suspect that is because the ones in DCA are just hammered trying to get their commissions done and people don't really seem to know about the ones in DL.

Silhouettes on Main Street (or is it in New Orleans Square in Disneyland?)
Does the Silhouette store stay open after the parks close like the other stores on Main St? Thinking about doing my kids on the way out one night but don't want to waste prime ride time to do it.:)

Perhaps a character breakfast or a visit to the pilot's house on the Mark Twain? I also second (the idea of) reservations at Blue Bayou. I've surprised my mom with those a few times. She always enjoys it.

We are WDW vets that also enjoy DLR. I know it is not technically "stuff" since you can't keep it, but I would do the WOC dessert party. WOC can be a pain with a kid because it is standing only so if you don't get a front spot somewhere, a kid can be stuck just seeing someone's back (same for short me). We thought the dessert party was well worth it. A seat and food and drink for time spent waiting for the show with the dessert package was much better than still having to stake out a front spot about an hour ahead of time with the dinner package. We definitely thought it was a worthwhile splurge. WOC is great! Definitely a don't miss for a DLR trip.

Does the Silhouette store stay open after the parks close like the other stores on Main St? Thinking about doing my kids on the way out one night but don't want to waste prime ride time to do it.:)

I'm not sure... it's more of a stand than a store. It only takes 10-15 minutes though- maybe on a lunch break?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter