Need advice...son getting engaged on DCL...

winniedapooh

<font color=magenta>Busy and proud Mom of 5 Disney
First of all TIA...:goodvibes. We are a family of 8...Myself and DH! DS 24, DD 23, DS 20, DS 18, DD 16, and our newest addition our hopefully, soon to be adopted, DD 6. DS 24 is going to propose to his GF of 6 years on our January trip on the Fantasy. She is an only child and her parents will be going with us.

DS has this ring burning a whole in his pocket, lol! He wants to ask her within a few hours of getting on the ship and wants us all there. His plan was to drop down on one knee when they took the boarding photo...I say no, but am not sure how else he could ask her.

This is where, you, my DIS friends come in...suggestions please??:)

On formal night ask that they have a photo taken with just the two of them and then he gets down on one knee. :)

First of all TIA...:goodvibes. We are a family of 8...Myself and DH! DS 24, DD 23, DS 20, DS 18, DD 16, and our newest addition our hopefully, soon to be adopted, DD 6. DS 24 is going to propose to his GF of 6 years on our January trip on the Fantasy. She is an only child and her parents will be going with us.

DS has this ring burning a whole in his pocket, lol! He wants to ask her within a few hours of getting on the ship and wants us all there. His plan was to drop down on one knee when they took the boarding photo...I say no, but am not sure how else he could ask her.

This is where, you, my DIS friends come in...suggestions please??:)

Our son got engaged on the Fantasy last July!!! And, just like you we were all onboard as well as her parents. We all knew he was going to propose except his fianace, of course.

On our cruise formal night was the 2nd night so he wanted to do it on formal night with everyone dressed up. After dinner he told her he wanted to take a walk on deck to see the sun set. He proposed to her on Deck 13 as the sun was setting and said it was very beautiful. In the meantime we all arranged a champagne celebration in Oh La La. He knew to bring her down to the lounge afterward as we would all be meeting there to celebrate. We all yelled and congratulated them when they walked in and drank champagne. We were the only group (about 15 of us) in the lounge at that time and had the whole place to ourselves. It was very nice. They are getting married in 3 weeks!!!

Congrats to your son and future DIL and hope everything goes well!!! Oh, they also arranged a private photo shoot on Castaway Cay...those pics came out great!!

MJ

I love the formal night suggestions! Proposing onboard DCL is an awesome idea!! Gives me chills just thinking about it. So exciting!! Best wishes for the happy couple!

Wow - congratulations! And as others say, I agree it would be perfect to do it during formal night

First, congratulations. As some one who asked my now wife to marry me on the Wonder, in 09, and got married on the Magic in 10, I know what he is thinking.
Second for what I have in mind, please make sure that the answer will be yes before you attempt this.

Have your son talk to GS and get in touch with the CD right after he boards. As a suggestion, he could pop the question during the sailaway party on deck. The CD can make arrangements with the video staff etc, and include it during the sailaway.

As an alternative, he could order the Romance Package, and hide the ring either in the ice, glass or the towel animal first night out. For this to work, he would have to contact the room steward, and ask for it to be delivered during turn down. Then he could slip away for a few minutes,(bathroom usually works well) run to the room, hide the ring, and be back and no one would know.

On my last cruise a young man coordinated something for the sailaway party. The girl was "randomly selected" for something and then he was brought up on stage as well. Then he proposed. Disney was there to take pictures for them too. Super cute!! Then they had the whole cruise to celebrate and everyone was congratulating them along the way.

EDIT: Oops, I see PP suggested that as well :)

Like the suggestion of formal night.

Here is a suggestion is to have them take pictures before dinner. When they go to take the picture, that is when he can pull out the ring. You may want to talk with the photographer first or even do it with one of the characters if they are out. Having the white background makes a great backdrop. This way you all can get photos of him asking her.

But you may want to also talk with GS or the CD and see what they can do to help.

First of all, congratulations! Second, I recommend you find Anthony with the cruise staff (tall, dark-haired, super nice guy). Tell him the exciting news and he can help set up something amazing. He was on our Fantasy sailing last year and we were so excited to see him again last month on the Fantasy. He's there until December or January (hope he's still there when you sail). He runs a lot of the activities (MCs events, game show contests, karaoke, adult nightlife stuff). He's so personable and can help set up a special moment. I wouldn't recommend doing it during embarkation photos - it's such a crazy time with people rushing through to get on the ship. Another option would be to tell your dining room server - they go above and beyond and would love to make a special moment more magical. So exciting!

We had seen a couple on formal night he proposed to her as she was standing on the grand staircase and the photographer that was stationed at that location captured all the action. Looked like all the family knew except the bride to be. It was really cool as she stepped up on the stairs for their photo he dropped down on one knee and proposed. A big YES and tears followed!

Let him do what he wants to do. He is about to get married. It's his decision

Have them announce it after you board so he can make it to the middle of the atrium.

If they were to capture the moment at the boarding photo that would be pretty cool too, then you have All cruise to celebrate

mom of a lil pirate said:
On my last cruise a young man coordinated something for the sailaway party. The girl was "randomly selected" for something and then he was brought up on stage as well. Then he proposed. Disney was there to take pictures for them too. Super cute!! Then they had the whole cruise to celebrate and everyone was congratulating them along the way.

EDIT: Oops, I see PP suggested that as well :)

Great minds think alike!

I Won't lie... Not like i'm getting my hopes up or anything.... I hope my bf proposes to me on our upcoming cruise LOL. :rotfl2:

An idea that popped into my head, and I think is slightly creative, is when you board, and theyre announcing names, have YOU go first, and be announced, but inform them what he wants to do quickly, and have them say "Welcome Mr. and hopefully the soon to be Mrs. ***" and have him drop to one knee then. I'm pretty positive most people would NOT mind seeing something as magical as that, and wait the extra 3 min to board. pixiedust:

Any way he does it, be sure to post pictures and let us know, and much luck to them! :goodvibes

I would wait until you board; at the sail away picture everything is so rushed, and there's not really the space or time to react to something like that.

If he wants to do it right away, I'd go for the grand staircase as soon as you board. He could also possibly have the Cruise Staff announce it afterwards! "Introducing the soon to be Mr. & Mrs. So-and-so"!

How about convincing her to go look at booking another cruise while on board (playing along the lines of wanting the extra perks) and while there getting on one knee and telling her that he hopes the next cruise will have their last names the same.

So many different options... what is her personality like?

Would she prefer something private/intimate?

- Palo brunch or dinner
- Sunset walk on deck 12
- In Outlook an hour or so before the nightly entertainment begins, they'd have the place to themselves most likely

You sound like you're thinking a public proposal so you could do:

- On the grand staircase in the atrium on arrival or formal night
- With Crush in Animator's Palate, have the video camera ready
- Use a character greeting, visit guest services to ensure their favorite is available, have photographers at the ready
- Under the fireworks on Pirate night
- At the embarkation photo
- At onboard announcement

Whatever he decides, come back and tell us all about it!

I'm another that thinks it will be magical any way it happens; however, embarkation photo is very rushed, kind of stressful and not yet magical. I'd wait until onboard.

I really depends on his girlfriend's personality, if she is really shy, she likely won't want a proposal in front of a lot of strangers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter