Need advice on TDR days, transport to downtown Tokyo, etc

SeanSD

Mouseketeer
We had planned a Fall trip going Sunday to Sunday for two weeks and had it all mapped out. Osaka and Kyoto first, then Tokyo, finish at TDR for 4 days with a day to relax and check out surrounding stuff. Well the flights we want on JAL are about $1,000 more PP for Sundays or Fridays compared to Wednesdays. So now trying to figure a plan to split the parks up for like Thursday and Friday one week and Monday and Tuesday another (avoiding weekend crowds) but that would mean either changing to Shibuya/Shinkuku hotels for two days and back or staying at Disney area hotels and taking subway into Tokyo which I understand is like 50 minutes. (Granted not shlepping luggage). Tentative plan:
Arrive Osaka Thursday night
Osaka Friday
Osaka/Kyoto Saturday
Kyoto Sun Mon
Kyoto to Tokyo Tuesday
TDR Wed Thu Fri
Tokyo Sat Sun
TDR Mon
Tuesday relax souvenirs etc
Fly home wed evening.

Would we be better off staying around TDR the whole time in Tokyo or changing to shibuya/shinjuku hotels and shlepping luggage back and forth or just redoing our entire plan ? If it was a couple hundred difference I wouldnt care but it’s about double the flight prices.

Last edited:
Would we be better off staying around TDR the whole time in Tokyo or changing to shibuya/shinjuku hotels and shlepping luggage back and forth or just redoing our entire plan ? If it was a couple hundred difference I wouldnt care but it’s about double the flight prices.
It depends. Who's in your party? Do they love cities/don't mind commute? I could see easily staying near Tokyo Station (v. Shibuya/Shinjuku) and commuting into TDL, and I stayed at the end of our trip at TDL area and commuted into Tokyo proper. But my kids were both teens, my husband and I grew up in cities and lived for years in NYC, so to us, it was better to just stay put and commute. If you don't like a daily commute, it might suit you better to switch hotels.

Good question. Just my girlfriend and me. While we don’t mind commuting we just didn’t want to spend too long on the subways and hauling luggage on subways seems like a drag. I should mention we had planned to try to stay at one of the hotels right at TDR (maybe Celebration and Toy Story) for those days to be able to take an afternoon break from the parks. But if we split TDR days maybe we just do that at the end. The price difference for the flight days is so much, like 800RT for Wednesday and about 1800RT for Fridays or Sunday. I may wait a little and hope they drop for those days.

I read that TDR has shuttle bus to/from Shinjuku. This may be a little easier than subways maybe?

Good question. Just my girlfriend and me. While we don’t mind commuting we just didn’t want to spend too long on the subways and hauling luggage on subways seems like a drag. I should mention we had planned to try to stay at one of the hotels right at TDR (maybe Celebration and Toy Story) for those days to be able to take an afternoon break from the parks. But if we split TDR days maybe we just do that at the end. The price difference for the flight days is so much, like 800RT for Wednesday and about 1800RT for Fridays or Sunday. I may wait a little and hope they drop for those days.

One of the good things about traveling in Japan (among many) is the delivery service. You can have luggage delivered within Tokyo or from Kyoto to Tokyo for around $20 for next day delivery. For your Kyoto to Tokyo shinkansen ride, you'll probably want to do that as there are new rules about bringing big luggage on.

We prefer to stay at TDR for our Disney days. Next trip, we might only do one park day, so I was considering near Tokyo Station since the train ride would only be 15 minute.

Crisis averted, the JAL fares just dropped by $1000. Booked Sunday to Sunday. So we can do Osaka, Kyoto, and then Disney for 4 days and have Saturday for last sightseeing, shopping and fly back Sunday. Thanks for the advice and will be back for other suggestions!

I am glad the airfare worked out before you went ahead with Shibuya, our hotel is right near the Shibuya crossing and it seems ideal except for our one day to DisneySea. To try to make rope drop we would travel during heavy metro time and it's showing an hour and 20 min on average, first taking a train to Tokyo and then from there the 15 min to TDS, plus a 17 min walk to the entrance from the station. It's faster by bus, but we have not tried riding the bus before in Japan (since we don't speak the language) and was not at all sure how we would recognize where to be waiting, getting off or which buses to get on, not being in the way as everyone is trying to get to work, but the bus is faster. The estimates for a cab we've seen suggested pricing at about $80 each way.. I have not seen a direct shuttle bus option from Shibuya like was mentioned above from Shinjuku. We just had not realized we were not in a good position as we really like Shibuya, you were smart to check first. It's still going to be fun, just a tad more challenging, so if anyone else is doing Disney while you are in Japan, travel time/access might be a big factor from Shibuya. I am going to ask our hotel so if I learn anything better, I will come back and update here, going first of April.

Thanks I did see a bus goes to TDR parking lot from Shinjuku which is fairly close to you and said about 40 minutes. I don’t know if it’s stops much or just a few stops. The bus system in Japan is pretty good, when we took them in Kyoto they were very helpful in where to get off etc. I would definitely look into that.

It seemed better from Shinjuku, unfortunately for us coming from Shibuya fewer options and involved changing buses a couple times, so that was intimidating. If it had been a direct bus or perhaps only one change, I might have been braver. But I will come back here and post if I find there was a fairly good option from Shibuya besides a cab. The metro is a very meandering route to DisneySea via Tokyo station, then the 17 min walk. During commute with stops. But I will let everyone know if I find something good. I always like the metro and trains because there is so much signage and almost always someone nice to ask in an emergency.

Shinjuku is express bus and then 7 minute walk to park. Could you subway the couple stops up to shinjuku and catch the express bus ? It’s been a while but I remember subway between Shibuya and Shinjuku was very quick. Maybe 1-2 stops ?

You are the first to have mentioned this, I have looked Everywhere for a better route. I will see if this is still an option and post back here. Both with what I learn and again after we actually go the first of April in case anyone else is in this predicament from Shibuya. Cannot thank you enough and fingers crossed!

There is still the Express bus but I have only found the schedule in the tiniest font I have ever seen, tried stretching it but too blurry. Let me keep hunting, for anyone else, definitely looking good as only a 4 min subway up from Shibuya, then walk to bus, but trying to see times... it 'says' it only runs every 3 hours so thinking the demand might be high at the time of year we are going, highest season. But other images I have seen show a bus with frequent departures, just might not be the Express bus. I think its easier to find schedule if you don't need it in English. :0) I'll keep digging as looks so good.

One more update to getting there from Shinjuku, I found the schedule and right now the Express bus shows leaving bus terminal every half hour starting at 6:40am thru 9:50am, and all the returns start 4:20pmTDR or 4:10pmTDS, for info here I will just put TDS return times (just add 10 min later for TDR).... so 4:10, 6:45, 7:30, 8:30, 8:50, 9:10 and last one 9:30pm. There are much shorter hours for when the park is open shorter hours so check bus schedule please. This is just what I have found on the internet, once I use it in April I will come back and update !

My daughter said, if your’re trying to get to TDL an hour plus ahead of posted opening time, expect the journey to take longer than planned as its prime commute time. By train, bus or taxi.

We were aiming for an hour plus of rope drop, between bag check, turnstyles, etc.... now I am trying to find out if we can buy the Express bus tickets a day or two before, can you imagine showing up, (and I know its light out by 6am in April), but finding a long line and you might be there another bus departure wait or two before there are empty seats for purchase?? I'm guessing they don't just keep filling buses with as many customers as show up. Probably 1 per departure time slot. But also can't find anything yet as to whether they sell them a day or two in advance, to know if we can reserve 4 seats. Will post as I learn, have super appreciated the help.

TDR Explorer is my go to for any TDR info. His YouTube, website/blog have almost any info you would need.

Sorry was reading that as TDR tickets. I think you will be fine for bus from Shinjuku to TDR at 6;40 am. Unless it’s one of the school holidays or golden week or something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter