• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Need Advice on SSR

New York Minnie

Earning My Ears
:earsgirl: We will be staying at SSR in February 2006 for President's Week. We have three kiddies (all girls!) 12, 9 and 1. Any suggestions as to where to stay in SSR? Is there a general store that sells milk? Is there a restaurant? And how is the walk to downtown disney? how is the fitness center and spa? We toured it in February and thought it felt sort of big and empty. Has that changed?

Sorry for all the questions...we always stay at OKW and BCV, but this year everything is booked and so we thought we'd give SSR a whirl. I hope it's as homey feeling as the other resorts. We so look forward to our annual vacation and can't wait to go...Thanks in advance for all your help.

Regards, Kathy ::MinnieMo :wave:

Hi New York Minnie!
I'll try to help ya.
If you want to stay closest to the Carriage House (main building-food, pool, etc) request The Springs section. If you want to be closer to the walk to DTD, request the Congress Park section, which does have it's own quiet pool. I haven't been there since the 3rd section went up (the Paddocks) so I'm not too sure about that configuration.
Yes, the shop at Artist pallet has groceries-you'll be able to get milk. The Artists Palette is also the restaurant and gift shop. It is not a full service restaurant, but I feel the menu is decent. They will be expanding the menu at the Turf Club lounge but that will not be ready until summer '06.
I stayed in Congress Park and enjoyed the walk to DTD. Should've timed it exactly but I would say it was 5-7 minutes from my room.
Haven't tried the fitness center or the spa yet. But I do have ressies for a pedi on my birthday, so I'll be trying it out soon!
Hope this helps, let me know if I can answer anything else!
Have fun!

New York Minnie said:
:earsgirl: We will be staying at SSR in February 2006 for President's Week. We have three kiddies (all girls!) 12, 9 and 1. Any suggestions as to where to stay in SSR? Is there a general store that sells milk? Is there a restaurant? And how is the walk to downtown disney? how is the fitness center and spa? We toured it in February and thought it felt sort of big and empty. Has that changed?

Sorry for all the questions...we always stay at OKW and BCV, but this year everything is booked and so we thought we'd give SSR a whirl. I hope it's as homey feeling as the other resorts. We so look forward to our annual vacation and can't wait to go...Thanks in advance for all your help.

Regards, Kathy ::MinnieMo :wave:
I don't have any advice, I just wanted to ask you to please let me know how your trip goes. I have three girls also and we won't be taking our first trip to SSR until October 2006(If I can wait that long). My girls will be 10, 4 and 2. We just bought in without even doing the tour so I've only seen it from the outside.

Hey, stay near us in SSR! We'll be there that week and I have a 10 yr old daughter who's always looking for female company (I also have two boys).

We usually stay at Beach Club, but we stayed at SSR in August. If I were you I'd request the Springs. It's central to everything. It doesn't have the view that we had in Congress Park, but I would have let my kids walk over to the community hall and arcade on their own if we'd been closer.

My daughter loved the ceramic stuff at community hall and the painting. Next time they want to try the cooking class.

The quiet pool is really pretty in congress park but my kids thought it was boring. They liked the slides at the main pool and my then-two-year-old loved the donald fountain.

We'll definitely try for the Springs next time.
See you there!
Jenny

I was just there in Oct - Congress Park is closest to DTD walking path, but the fifth Paddocks building is pretty close too. The Spring are closest to the Carraige House and High Rock Springs pool, but we were in the third Paddock building, and the foot bridge took us right over the the Springs and then the main area, wasn't bad at all!

AP has a good selection of gorceries and well a gift shop and counter service food. The Turf Club (located behind AP) is expanding its menu to be more of a sit down restaurant. Haven't tried it - but I'm glad they're doing it!

The fitness center is AMAZING! It's huge and state-of-the-art. I have been to the spa three times and it is also wonderful! Take a look at their "menu" at www.relaxedyet.com.

Take advantage of the activities at the Community Hall! They have great kids programs - they can paint ceramics, play games, go fishing (I think I saw that on there). It's a great de-stresser from the parks for the kids.

Enjoy!
D4D

We just got back from SSR, and we stayed at Congress Park...the building closest to the DVC information center (2500 numbers). Great view of DTD and about a 5 minute walk to the main pool and Carriage House. One of the advantages it has is the bus stop is right outside the villas, and we rarely had a problem getting on and getting a seat...The people at the Springs probably couldn't say that. If your 1 yr old can handle it, consider getting a smaller style stroller as some folks had problems with the large ones on the bus. The Donald fountain is fun, but not heated so it may be a bit cold for the little one. The main pool is heated, and with the zero entry you could sit and keep her company while she plays with the fountain heads that spew water out the sides. DD liked going to the pool in the afternoon to wind down from the parks...we never made it to the Community Hall...we'll try that in May (fingers crossed).

AP has a decent kids menu (nuggets, hot dogs, hamburger, and grilled cheese) that includes apple sauce and knock-off goldfish as sides (Warning: The Mickey heads taste quite different than regular Goldfish). The store itself has bits of everything PopTarts, baby food, juices, snacks, frozen dinners, wine, beer, etc., and the prices weren't too bad.

The 1 bedrooms and up have DVD players and AP is where you can get movies to borrow if you don't bring your own.

Have a great time...feel free to ask any questions.

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me all that information. I always knew that DVCers were the nicest people on Earth. I'll be sure to post a trip report when I get back (when everthing is fresh in my mind) and give you my feedback as well. Thanks once again for everything. Looking forward to a great trip! :cool1: :earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter