Need advice on feeding 10 month old at MK . . .

amjl

Earning My Ears
Hi,

We will be at WDW from 6/14 - 6/17 - we are planning on doing MK and AK. Our DD who is 10 months old will be making her first trip to WDW and I'm a bit stressed about feeding her. I imagine that at 10 mo she will still be eating quite a bit of baby food (jars) and having a few bottles a day. June is very hot so should I pack the food in a small cooler or will it be okay in the diaper bag? Are there microwaves anywhere if I need to warm up her food? Any other tips or advice are much appreciated!
THANKS!

Definitely use the Baby care centers in the parks!! they are great, they have microwaves there for heating up food, bottles, etc., changing tables, rocking chairs, etc. Its really helpful to have a nice, quiet place to go. As far as keeping the bottles cold, could you bring the powder formula and mix it when you need it, or maybe a small cooler with lots of ice or ice packs would be fine. Good luck!!

At 10 mo. my babies actually preferred table food over jarred baby food. Any soft fruit, veggie, or starch that is age appropriate will do (no citrus, strawberries, honey, grapes, whole wheat, nuts, etc. under age 1). If this is your firstborn, you may be nervous about the transition from pureed to solid food so start at home so you feel comfortable by the time the trip rolls around. I always started w/ soft table food around 7-8 months. Tablefood works out well at restaurants bc. the baby can eat a little from everyone's meal and at 10 mo. she will be able to self feed (w/ fingers) so mom's hands can be free to feed herself! Examples: Breakfast: cut up pancakes into bite size bits, maybe bits of peaches on the side. Lunch: bits of bread and little pieces of cheese from mom's sandwich and a banana cut up. Dinner: soft green beens that came w/ dad's dinner, part of mom's baked potato and tiny bits of roast chicken breast (shredded for her). At this age, even w/ only a couple of teeth (or as w/ my babies, none at all) she will be able to mash up these foods w/ her gums. Make sure you avoid any spicy or fatty foods. It's a good idea not to try any new foods on vacation in case she is allergic. My husband and I always kept the baby in mind when we ordered meals out. Also, I never used them but there are those fingerfoods in jars for babies. Most pediatricians recommend supplementing tablefood w/ breastmilk and/or formula up until age one. I would still carry a cooler w/ icepack for leftovers and any opened jars of fingerfoods or babyfood. Important tip: Carry enough baby wipes to give the highchair tray a good wipe-down before you put the baby in it. Sometimes they can be downright gross!:eek:

Oh gosh, I almost forgot!! Those tried and true little mommy lifesavers....CHEERIOS!!! Carry them w/ you at all times.:Pinkbounc

gosh by 10 months my kids were on real food. in which case youve got no worries, spaghetti and fries all around. bring formula in those single serving pouches. get yourself some table toppers. these are presterilized mats that stick to the table so feeding the baby finger foods is a breeze and you dont have to worry about the table.

Our little one didn't like table food at all until 13 months. When we took her to Disney at 7 months we took the Gerber baby foods in the plastic containers--fed her and tossed the leftovers. You won't need to heat any food in the summertime! We took powdered formula and bottles filled with the nursery water that we took from home. We went in August, so the Dr. suggested we add about an ounce extra water to the midday bottles to be sure she was well-hydrated.

We also took the disposable bibs and lots of regular plastic spoons. She did fine--you will, too!

Have fun!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for all your tips and advice. It's funny the things we moms stress about before a vacation! I think I'll get through the feedings alright now I just have to worry about her sleeping through the night at the hotel!

On our last trip, my DD was 11 months old. She was half on table food half on baby food (and nursing). I sent myself baby food via Netgrocer, but I ended up buying way more than I needed. DD ended up eating mostly table food on our trip, and the extra baby food had to be shipped home. When she did eat jarred food, we would just give it to her at room temperature - she didn't mind at all. Sorry I don't have any advice about the formula.

My one piece of advice... bring your own baby spoon. You won't find them in the restaurants. Some of the counter service restaurants didn't have ANY spoons.

I think pajamommy had a great idea about powdered formula.

I used to bring my own bottled water. I'd use a 16 oz Rubbermaid container - (they have a twist off cover with the hole to pour on the top and measurements on the side)

I'd empty the right amount of water in that plastic thing and add the formula. There was plenty of room in it to mix/shake the formula well.

If you premixed it and kept in a cooler, the baby would have a nice refreshing bottle on demand in the summer heat.

Have a great trip.

As for the formula, I was able to order ready to feed 6 oz bottles from Enfamil and have them shipped directly to the Poly. Feeding was a breeze. We'd add the nipple and sleave onto the bottle and feed away. We'd pack what we'd need for the day with us in the diaper bag along and our load would get lighter as the day went on. Yes, it was a bit pricey, butthe convenience was well worth it. I started buying some ready to feed formula at home in order to mix with the powder prior to our trip to get him adjusted. The ready to feed is much thicker than powder.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter