Need Advice From First Responders re: COVID-19

Not a first responder, but if you have a good relationship with your ex, I would talk about it. It may make things less stressful all around. This way you feel comfortable knowing the kids are kind of protected a bit and he may be less stressed knowing he won’t be inadvertently exposing his kids to it. It is definitely worth a discussion.

Are they generally reasonable and you have a good co-parenting relationship with them? I would think people who have jobs that put them at greater risk would be relieved to eliminate the possibility of spreading it to their family. You can always make the offer ... and also offer to give them more time later, to make up for the imbalance. Worst they can say is no.

I get your worry, my husband is a Police Officer and he is being so careful during the day washing and sanitizing his hands at every turn.

Your anxiety is real, but if you were still together, you would want him home at night with you and the kids, right?
I'm sure they're taking the necessary measures to protect themselves. Have a conversation with him and see how he feels about it? I'm sure seeing the kids helps him through this nightmare.

Take care & relax a little!

No offense, but nothing has changed. They both work in professions where they can be exposed to bodily fluids, needle sticks with HIV, Hepatitis, TB, H1N1, Cancer etc.
I grew up this as the son of an RN who in 40 years suffered many needle sticks, etc, and my first career path was law enforcement.

No offense, but nothing has changed. They both work in professions where they can be exposed to bodily fluids, needle sticks with HIV, Hepatitis, TB, H1N1, Cancer etc.
I grew up this as the son of an RN who in 40 years suffered many needle sticks, etc, and my first career path was law enforcement.
Agree, and I spent an entire career in law enforcement, followed by 11 years as an EMT -- both in a busy urban area.

Biohazardous materials are an everyday encounter, and are absolutely nothing new. Not only that, but the contact for both police officers and EMS personnel is often up close and personal...in both good and bad ways.

For that reason, since the AIDS period in the 1980s all first responders have received extensive training and proper equipment to deal with the risk.

That said, if your ex is in regular uniform patrol and your relationship is good, they might actually want you to take the kids just as a precautionary measure.

I would ask about taking the kids full time if you have a good relationship.

My sister is struggling with her shared custody arrangement. She and her husband are doing strict isolation with the kids, but her ex isn’t. It’s keeping my sister up at night that it’s something she has no control over, unfortunately.

Certainly can't hurt to ask if you generally have a good parenting relationship. But make it clear that it's an *ask* not a demand. As others have said, he may actually be relieved, but hesitant to ask you.
That said, my husband is a volunteer EMT, and his new protocol when he comes home is to walk immediately into the laundry room and put all his clothes in the washer right away, then wash his hands and face right away. It's not perfect, but as a PP said, first responders are definitely aware.

I agree with you HeatherC and jalapeno_pretzel that it is worth a discussion and so I am going to try to talk to him about this but I imagine I'm probably going to get a 'business as usual' response from him. And thank you lorimay...I will definitely try to relax :)

Last edited:
The situation is evolving so quickly, even if he isn't interested in taking you up on the offer now, he may change his mind in the future. So if he declines, you can just leave it as a standing offer if the situation deteriorates further.

Certainly can't hurt to ask if you generally have a good parenting relationship. But make it clear that it's an *ask* not a demand. As others have said, he may actually be relieved, but hesitant to ask you.
That said, my husband is a volunteer EMT, and his new protocol when he comes home is to walk immediately into the laundry room and put all his clothes in the washer right away, then wash his hands and face right away. It's not perfect, but as a PP said, first responders are definitely aware.

Thank you DopeyDame! I will definitely make sure that it is an *ask* and try to present the request in as non-confrontational a way as possible.

Last edited:
I would ask about taking the kids full time if you have a good relationship.

My sister is struggling with her shared custody arrangement. She and her husband are doing strict isolation with the kids, but her ex isn’t. It’s keeping my sister up at night that it’s something she has no control over, unfortunately.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and stay healthy :).

Last edited:
The situation is evolving so quickly, even if he isn't interested in taking you up on the offer now, he may change his mind in the future. So if he declines, you can just leave it as a standing offer if the situation deteriorates further.
I like this approach...thanks jalapeno_pretzel!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter