Need advice and information

Tink_Fan

Mouseketeer
My dear hubby to be is in the hospital, long story short he had surgery for a split vein in his intestines two weeks ago. He got real sick last night and became unresponsive so I called 911. He was severely anemic and required 4 units of blood over last night and today.

We are getting married on 5/6 and heading to WDW on 5/7 for our honeymoon/family vaca with our daughter. He is very worried that we will have to postpone both the wedding and the trip. Thankfully the docs have a good outlook for him and told us that we can still have our wedding and go to WDW.

BUT they said he will have to take it easy so the recommend that I rent a wheelchair. I need advice on what I need to know and if he will need permission to ride certain rides, etc.

TIA!!

:wave: Welcome to disABILITIES and so sorry to hear about your soon to be DH's problems.

If you haven't already, check out the disABILITIES FAQs thread. It's kind of a crash course in what you might need to know. Rather than a wheelchair, you might want to consider an ECV. It would give him a lot more independence and no one would have to push him. There is information in the FAQs thread about places to rent them from off-site. I'd highly recommend that since he really will need to make sure he has one available at all times (the resorts are big and can involve a lot of walking).

As for "permission" to ride certain attractions, WDW puts warnings on the more turbulent rides and then it's up to you to decide whether it's a good idea or not. Those attractions are marked with a little icon on the park map and also with signs at the entrance to the queue and before boarding to alert you to them. No one at WDW will prevent you from riding anything or even question you about it.
He should talk to his doctor about any recommendations regarding avoiding certain attractions. Off-hand, I'd suggest not riding any of the roller coaster attractions since it is such a short time between his hospitalization and your trip.
There are also some attractions (like Splash Mountain) that involve stepping over the side of the ride car and getting into a sort tight space. Those might be a problem for him. If you go to the disABILITIES FAQs thread, there is a link to the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities from WDW. Look at that and you can ask specific questions about any attractions you think might be a problem.

Even if it turns out that he needs to miss some attractions, you will still have lots to see and do. :moped:
have a great tip and a nice wedding :bride: :cloud9:

A few years ago I had major surgery (kidney removed). My doctor told me that for the next six months if there were any signs warning pregnant women, people with bad backs or heart conditions from riding an attraction it also applied to me. I would suggest that he follow that as a guideline.

Unless he does not meet height or other posted requirements and does not pose a safety hazard to others CMs will not prevent him from riding any attraction. However, you can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter