• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need advice - 3 “families”, where to stay?

Happy2BMommy0812

Mouseketeer
I’d love to hear your thoughts! My family of 4 (me, DH, 2 sons 14 and 11), my MIL and FIL, and my mom are going to Disney over thanksgiving. We are coming up of the 7 month window of our trip. Right now we have a really nice split stay booked. We booked 3 nights in 2 studios at Poly with our Poly contract, and then 3 nights in a 3 bedroom at Riviera using our Riviera contract and my mothers new riviera contract (banked 2021 points and her 2022 points). The 3 bedroom at RIV is a done deal - super excited to spend thanksgiving day in it. One bedroom for us, one for the in laws, one for my mom (and her sister if she wants to join), and the boys in the living room. One bathroom for each with the boys using ours.

The first 3 days I’m debating about. I feel like 2 studios for the 7 of us will be awkward. I was going to do 1 with myself my mother and my boys. Another for my husband and his parents. We could borrow points or add one time use points to get an extra 50 or so to add a 3rd studio, but that seems silly just for my mother. So I started looking around. 2 bedrooms plus a studio are too many points, but we have enough points for a treehouse villa and they are pretty wide open right now, I bet I could switch at 7 months. However it’s only 2 bathrooms.

Anyone stayed with 7 in a treehouse? 2 bathrooms enough? We will have a car, so transportation is a non issue. Any other ideas?

I’m open to booking 3 studios at a lower point hotel - or really I’d love 2 towers and a deluxe or 1 bedroom at riviera. But being able to grab 3 rooms will be near impossible at 7 months.

Last edited:
We stayed in a treehouse. Loved it. Take a look at the floor plan. The master bedroom has a full bath, the other bath is in the hall near the second bedroom (1 queen bed) and the 3rd bedroom (bunk beds) The other two beds are pull out couch and chair in the living room. Loved the privacy and the huge deck. Good luck!

I’d love to hear your thoughts! My family of 4 (me, DH, 2 sons 14 and 11), my MIL and FIL, and my mom are going to Disney over thanksgiving. We are coming up of the 7 month window of our trip. Right now we have a really nice split stay booked. We booked 3 nights in 2 studios at Poly with our Poly contract, and then 3 nights in a 3 bedroom at Riviera using our Riviera contract and my mothers new riviera contract (banked 2021 points and her 2022 points). The 3 bedroom at RIV is a done deal - super excited to spend thanksgiving day in it. One bedroom for us, one for the in laws, one for my mom (and her sister if she wants to join), and the boys in the living room. One bathroom for each with the boys using ours.

The first 3 days I’m debating about. I feel like 2 studios for the 7 of us will be awkward. I was going to do 1 with myself my mother and my boys. Another for my husband and his parents. We could borrow points or add one time use points to get an extra 50 or so to add a 3rd studio, but that seems silly just for my mother. So I started looking around. 2 bedrooms plus a studio are too many points, but we have enough points for a treehouse villa and they are pretty wide open right now, I bet I could switch at 7 months. However it’s only 2 bathrooms.

Anyone stayed with 7 in a treehouse? 2 bathrooms enough? We will have a car, so transportation is a non issue. Any other ideas?

I’m open to booking 3 studios at a lower point hotel - or really I’d love 2 towers and a deluxe or 1 bedroom at riviera. But being able to grab 3 rooms will be near impossible at 7 months.
I'm not a fan of the THVs. They are very remote and bus service is cumbersome. Two of the 3 bedrooms are very small and the bunk beds are not meant for adults. They're small and very uncomfortable. You could give it to the kids (although even a 14 yo boy might find the bunks small). And that would mean that some other adult(s) would end up sleeping on the pull out sofa or chair with no privacy.

Having one bathroom inside the master bedroom and no access from the living room area means that it can be awkward to use for those not sleeping in the master bedroom itself. We all ended up sharing the hall bathroom, which is not ideal.

On the plus side, the area is very quiet. You would have a huge deck to relax on and a charcoal grill of your own. You would also have a full kitchen and there's a boat dock for access to Disney Springs within the treehouse area. My brother owns at SSR and absolutely loves the THVs.

I would run the idea past the other adults on the trip. It's only for 3 days and they may not mind the negatives as much as I do. My preference would be to keep the current plans for Poly. At least all of the adults would have a real bed, even of privacy is a bit compromised. That and the split bathrooms make it more attractive than the THVs in my book.

I don't care for the THV but only based on seeing videos and passing by them. The bunk beds make it really hard when you don't have little kids.

Have you thought about AKV? The 2-bedroom there has 3 bathrooms so your mom could stay on the pull-out and still have a bathroom. Maybe your kids share a bed with grandparents? We loved Kidani when we were there last summer. The extra bathroom is great.

Same deal with BLT 2-bedroom and the bathrooms.

This is an interesting idea! We might consider that!!

Unless we go in that direction, I think we basically decided just to Stay at Poly. We love it there, the Christmas theming is great, we love the monorail.

Thanks all for the thoughts and comments!

Crazy idea but what about a 3BD at AKL if they are available? Personally I wouldn’t want to sleep on a pullout and there is no way my mom would either. With the adult “families” I would want separate spaces for everyone. They are supposed to be absolutely amazing and the theming are AKL is also great at Christmas. If you are willing to deal with the location of treehouses it’s equally as inconvenient over there.

Crazy idea but what about a 3BD at AKL if they are available? Personally I wouldn’t want to sleep on a pullout and there is no way my mom would either. With the adult “families” I would want separate spaces for everyone. They are supposed to be absolutely amazing and the theming are AKL is also great at Christmas. If you are willing to deal with the location of treehouses it’s equally as inconvenient over there.
I would love that, but the cost of 2 Poly Studios for 3 days does not compare to the cost of a 3 bedroom anywhere. :( The treehouse is close to equal - only and extra 10 points total.

I would love that, but the cost of 2 Poly Studios for 3 days does not compare to the cost of a 3 bedroom anywhere. :( The treehouse is close to equal - only and extra 10 points total.
Too bad! I just thought that if you were already considering adding a 3rd studio to the mix or 2 studios and a 1BD at Riviera a 3BD at AKL might not be outside of the realm of possibility, especially if one of the other families chips in as well.

The treehouses really require a car, which is why I wouldn’t book them.

Sounds like you would fit in any 2br or lockoff. Kids in living room. In-laws and husband in one bedroom, mom and grandma in the other one. Reasonably priced at AKL/OKW/SSR.

Too bad! I just thought that if you were already considering adding a 3rd studio to the mix or 2 studios and a 1BD at Riviera a 3BD at AKL might not be outside of the realm of possibility, especially if one of the other families chips in as well.
I know. :( It is such a good idea! After you suggested it I went back and looked just to see what we could make work, but with the borrowing restrictions we couldn’t even make it happen if we wanted. We only have 150 points on the Poly contract. 3 studios would be 198, which we could borrow enough for. 2 tower studios and a standard studio at riviera would be 148, but we will never get this reservations - too popular! The 3 bedroom at AKV 262-287, so out of our borrowing reach. But that’s ok, I kinda dislike borrowing anyway. :)

The treehouses really require a car, which is why I wouldn’t book them.

Sounds like you would fit in any 2br or lockoff. Kids in living room. In-laws and husband in one bedroom, mom and grandma in the other one. Reasonably priced at AKL/OKW/SSR.
That’s a good point. Hmm. Maybe I should look around at what Is available. My mom loves AKV!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter