Need a new lens recommendation

amryn21

Mouseketeer
I have an older Canon t3i rebel. I cant afford to upgrade my camera right now. I would like to get a lens that I can use for basketball games. A tone have any recommendation for a decent but cheaper lens option?

What's your budget? Technically, the best lens is the one you have when you press the shutter release. 45 years ago, I shot with a manual focus 50/1.4 and Tri-X for the high school yearbook from the sides and base and got more than enough decent shots. If you're talking from the stands, speed is your need and that costs, even used. Your t3 is a capable piece of equipment but you'll probably need to shoot at a high ISO. Sometimes you can get around a slower lens through anticipating action, pre-focusing on manual at a select spot, and waiting for the subject(s) to appear in your viewfinder and then shoot (IOW, no AI Servo).

Look at KEH. For example, they currently have a Canon 70-210mm F/4 Macro (BGN quality) for $74. If they had one in stock, an EX condition might set you back $91. Those are fair prices for the reach and will be a whole lot better to have a constant f4 rather than some 4.5-5.6 variable zoom. That's for HS and college games. If you're shooting Dallas or Sacramento (or even a decent pro team) and you're in the nosebleed section, 200mm will not be enough reach.

I can't imagine shooting basketball with an f/4 lens. A prime lens will probably give you the most bang for your buck. Either the 50mm f/1.8 or the 85mm f/1.8 might be good choices. Not a lot of reach so you would need to be able to get fairly close to the court.

I can't imagine shooting basketball with an f/4 lens. A prime lens will probably give you the most bang for your buck. Either the 50mm f/1.8 or the 85mm f/1.8 might be good choices. Not a lot of reach so you would need to be able to get fairly close to the court.

True but limitations are evidently in place here - "Needs must when the devil drives"

I haven't shot basketball in awhile, however when I did the 85 f1.8 was always the go-to lens. It appears you are on a budget, so I would check on Keh.com.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter