Need a new credit card recomme

dhardawa

DIS Veteran
I realize we have a credit card thread, but my post will be lost there with the 1,000+ pages.

I currently have a Capital One Venture card that I am cancelling. They screwed me on a $700 dispute and if I can’t trust them to have my back after hundreds of thousands of dollars run across their card, I will leave. So, I need recommendations for a non-Capital One card.

I realize we have a credit card thread, but my post will be lost there with the 1,000+ pages.

I currently have a Capital One Venture card that I am cancelling. They screwed me on a $700 dispute and if I can’t trust them to have my back after hundreds of thousands of dollars run across their card, I will leave. So, I need recommendations for a non-Capital One card.

It won't get lost. And it all depends on what you're looking to do with the card. The first page has posts with info to help and then you can ask questions.

There's been a few new people on the thread recently and all have had their questions answered. You're actually more likely to get tailored for you answers there by providing info than this thread asking for card recs that will be all over the place. People there really do want to help and they do.

Chase Freedom Visa or Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa. Both have no annual fee and you earn points for your purchases that can be redeemed for cash back.

We have Chase Sapphire for travel rewards and like the primary rental car coverage with trip interruption/cancellation coverage.

I just did the same with Citibank. It was an Expedia one and I had booked a cruise through Expedia. Cruise was cancelled but they didn't refund after 2 or 3 months so I filed a dispute. After several more weeks I was notified that while they agreed to the $350 deposit dispute they did not agree to the $185 trip insurance dispute. So we cancelled the card.

I also have the Chase Disney preferred card and am thinking of alsp cancelling due to extremely high interest rate. I may call and tell them that to see if they lower it. Or I could just find another card to switch to.

I just did the same with Citibank. It was an Expedia one and I had booked a cruise through Expedia. Cruise was cancelled but they didn't refund after 2 or 3 months so I filed a dispute. After several more weeks I was notified that while they agreed to the $350 deposit dispute they did not agree to the $185 trip insurance dispute. So we cancelled the card.

I also have the Chase Disney preferred card and am thinking of alsp cancelling due to extremely high interest rate. I may call and tell them that to see if they lower it. Or I could just find another card to switch to.

Mine was Expedia too. I booked a trip before COVID. I tried to contact them 53 times to cancel and couldn’t get through on the phone, website, or app. I called the hotel directly and they cancelled the stay and refunded back to Expedia, but Expedia refuses to refund me. Capital One said I booked through Expedia and they didn’t have to refund me. I’m sooo done with Expedia. They stole $718 from me.

Mine was Expedia too. I booked a trip before COVID. I tried to contact them 53 times to cancel and couldn’t get through on the phone, website, or app. I called the hotel directly and they cancelled the stay and refunded back to Expedia, but Expedia refuses to refund me. Capital One said I booked through Expedia and they didn’t have to refund me. I’m sooo done with Expedia. They stole $718 from me.
I am done too and won't use them anymore. We had 2 cabins booked for a July HAL cruise with expedia. One for hubby and I and one for our twin DDs-21. Paid $350 deposit on each cabin and then the trip insurance. We cancelled the cruise before the cruiseline did and before final payment. Expedia said we could get just one $350 deposit back and other would be held for future cruise credit. Said 2nd cabin was booked via a special rate and non refundable. They said we'd get other refund in 7-10 days. Didn't happen. Started reading it would take 30 days, then said 60 and after that is when I filed a dispute. Crazy thing is they refunded the trip insurance for the cabin that we didn't get the deposit back. But refused to refund the trip insurance on the other cabin saying we didn't cancel the trip insurance in the 15 day look period. I bet they refunded the one because I may have been able to file a claim with it to get that $350 deposit back since the cruise was eventually cancelled. So that sneaky practice really ticks me off. And it took 90 days to settle the dispute. Absurd.

I agree that threads with hundreds of pages of posts are annoying to sift through to find what you want.

With credit cards it depends on how much you plan to spend annually, if you pay off the balance monthly and how you plan to use the accumulated points. If you only fly on a single airline and do a lot of air travel, then one of their credit cards might be best. If your local airport is serviced by several airlines you might use, having an airline card is of less benefit since you might not always be able to use it when traveling. If you seldom fly, then having an airline credit card is probably not the best choice.

It mostly comes down to which benefits work best for the way you plan to use that card.

I am done too and won't use them anymore. We had 2 cabins booked for a July HAL cruise with expedia. One for hubby and I and one for our twin DDs-21. Paid $350 deposit on each cabin and then the trip insurance. We cancelled the cruise before the cruiseline did and before final payment. Expedia said we could get just one $350 deposit back and other would be held for future cruise credit. Said 2nd cabin was booked via a special rate and non refundable. They said we'd get other refund in 7-10 days. Didn't happen. Started reading it would take 30 days, then said 60 and after that is when I filed a dispute. Crazy thing is they refunded the trip insurance for the cabin that we didn't get the deposit back. But refused to refund the trip insurance on the other cabin saying we didn't cancel the trip insurance in the 15 day look period. I bet they refunded the one because I may have been able to file a claim with it to get that $350 deposit back since the cruise was eventually cancelled. So that sneaky practice really ticks me off. And it took 90 days to settle the dispute. Absurd.

My dispute took 5 months to complete and they sided against me. I am livid. I read on Facebook and Expedia has been doing this to so many people. Some have lost $5,000+. I hope they get sued. It would serve them right.

One of the other cash back card options is the Citi double cash card. You earn 2% of purchases (actually 1% on purchases and 1% for what you paid off that month, but in the long run it is 2% of purchases). No special category of the month to keep track of.

Is this universally true? I have some chase cards and thought mine all had foreign transaction fees. I guess I better double check with them.

No. It definitely is not true for all Chase cards.

For certain, the Southwest Airlines card still charges a foreign transaction fee.
I never thought I'd ever give up my beloved SW card until I tried the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. I only signed up for it because I was in a Chase branch applying for a checking account for the $300 bonus. The banker offered a 50,000 pt bonus on the CSP so dh and I each got one. Well, I quickly realized that due to earning so many SWA points on our cc, we rarely paid for flights but then also that meant that we rarely earned double points from our SWA card. With the CSP, all travel and dining is double points. This can be as simple as ordering a pizza, paying for airport parking or taxi fare.
They are currently offering triple points on gasoline too.

Chase Ultimate Rewards points are very flexible. I can book hotels, rental cars, flights, gift cards, entertainment, etc through their portal. I can also transfer the points into many loyalty programs such as SW Rapid Rewards, British Airways, United, Jet Blue, Air France/KLM, Aer Lingus, Virgina Atlantic, Iberia Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG.
At one point, Disney hotels were available to be booked through the Chase portal but I believe they have stopped that.

Last edited:
what is a good interest rate these days? Thought my Chase Disney was high. Called to see if they would lower and they said no. Said I was going to cancel and they said okay. We have 14.24% rate.

My dispute took 5 months to complete and they sided against me. I am livid. I read on Facebook and Expedia has been doing this to so many people. Some have lost $5,000+. I hope they get sued. It would serve them right.

This is horrible!
We had a non-refundable Disney cruise booked for late March that we booked last minute. (by cruising standards) They are discounted cabins sold, usually after the final payment due date, with the knowledge that it's non refundable: no date change, no name changes, no choice of cabin except inside, window or balcony, no cabin changes. It's a "just put me on the ship!" reservation.
Within 2 weeks of Disney cancelling our cruise, DCL refunded our fare. Our insurance was purchased separately (not from DCL) and after some back and forth emails and showing proof that Disney was the one who cancelled, and that we didn't accept Disney's offer for future cruise credit, they did finally refund to our cc.

Once again, Disney is a great company to do business with. While it seemed the whole world was falling apart around us, DCL reminded me again why I'm so loyal to them.

For certain, the Southwest Airlines card still charges a foreign transaction fee.

I've had the Southwest Airlines Chase card for many years, they charge me no foreign transaction fees. In fact, I've had two versions of the card, neither did. I am 100% sure, because that was one of the reasons I got it- my folks lived outside of the US for many years, and we'd often go visit them and that is the card I used while there, also used it in Netherlands, Germany and Switzerland - no fees.
Also have the Chase sapphire, no fees there either.

OP - having issues posting a link. If you got to www.chase.com/southwest and select the Priority card, it states that it has no foreign transaction fees, at one time the other one did to, but don't think it does now.

I've had the Southwest Airlines Chase card for many years, they charge me no foreign transaction fees. In fact, I've had two versions of the card, neither did. I am 100% sure, because that was one of the reasons I got it- my folks lived outside of the US for many years, and we'd often go visit them and that is the card I used while there, also used it in Netherlands, Germany and Switzerland - no fees.
Also have the Chase sapphire, no fees there either.
Ok. My bad. They used to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter