Need a funny dessert for hillbilly theme

Banana pudding. Or if you want something really easy.....Apple Turnovers by Pepperidge Farm (in the freezer section). I serve that hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and whipped cream. Sometimes a drizzle of caramel and crushed nuts.

Make a dessert that has moonshine in it or serve moonshine peaches over vanilla ice cream. Or, you could just serve Apple Pie moonshine shots. Everyone would quickly forget dessert. :p

I was gonna second moonshine for the dessert - they sell it EVERYWHERE!

Turning into a bread pudding sauce or a flamed fruit sauce for ice cream seems inspired for the area...

I was also thinking flaming marshmallows for smores - not sure if you can, but it would seem like something folks in the Smokeys might try - marshmallows dipped in moonshine and then "roasted" for the 1.5 milliseconds it would take for them to light up on fire...

There is a chocolate dessert called "Dirt". You can Google recipe - I think it is sort of a pudding.

Also, try googling Rocky Road cake or dessert - I bet you get a bunch of recipes with nuts, marshmallows, chocolate.
I was going to suggest dirt. Love it. Pudding, Oreo cookies and gummy worms. Serve it in a kids sand bucket with shovel.

I’m not a fan either. I don’t get the salads that are not salads and contain jello and marshmallows either.
A midwestern staple - Minnesota salads that aren't really a salad, but are damn delicious ;)

OP - I agree, anything with Mtn Dew or moonshine would be fab.

Moon pies and banana pudding are the first things that come to mind when I think Tennessee. You could probably blend the two and do banana moon pies. If you wanted a funny name to go with the theme you could call it something like Nana's Mooning You pies.

My family is from WV too! What part are you from?

OP - it must be Lime Green Jello Salad: https://homecookingmemories.com/lime-green-jello-salad-recipe-cottage-cheese-pineapple/

My folks come from Mingo County. Somehow this thread feels like cultural appopriation. :D

I'd suggest some type of cobbler or maybe a stacked apple cake.
Mostly Ritchie, Wood, and Wirt counties, although there are a few others as well. I have been working on my genealogy and it’s nice that WV has so much available online. One branch went to Texas for a while then came back and I can’t find anything online for Texas at all.

I remember going to visit relatives near Charleston when I was a child, and my paternal grandparents didn’t sell their farm in Wirt County until I was about five, so I remember going there as well. I haven’t been back for a long time, but right up until he passed away, my dad would go up and spend a month or two going around to visit family.

We have a different lime green jello dish, that has a topping made like pineapple cheesecake. In fact, I have made just the topping and put it in a pie shell and served it as a pineapple cheesecake. That recipe came from the relatives in Charleston.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter