neck fans for dealing with florida heat?

trainpuncher

Earning My Ears
apologies if this is the wrong subforum!

we're gonna be in WDW July 6-11. We're pretty accustomed to Hawaii weather, but I've had some very humid, gnarly experiences in Orlando. My girlfriend has an even harder time with it.

I'm thinking about bringing a small cooling towel + neck fan, and wanted to see if anyone had opinions on either! I've looked at a bunch of Amazon fans but they all are either too short a battery life or those odd mini hanging fans. would like a bladeless one if possible - especially if someone has something good to say about them.

thanks and see you all there soon!

We were in Orlando May 31st to June 13th and I brought many fans (blade neck fans, bladeless neck fan, O2cool necklace fans, Funme hands free fan) with us on our trip. Mainly to cool my 8 year old daughter who turns super red and gets heat rashes easily but I used them a couple days as well . I bought my daughter a bladeless neck fan because she kept turning her head to where her hair would get tangled up into the blade neck fans. Unfortunately we really didn’t like the bladeless because the one I bought had substantially lower air flow than the bladed neck fans. We just kept using the blade fans and redoing her hair in a ponytail to keep it from catching. We tried all the ones I brought and only the bladed neckfans gave the best airflow. We only had one hair tangled mishap this trip (last year we had more). We were good about turning off the fans indoors so we didn’t run out of battery and charged them every night.

We prefer the handheld fans instead of the neck ones that you have to take on and off. The most powerful ones are the EasyAcc handheld fans on Amazon. I ordered and returned a bunch and those were the best. :)

I know people are loving those, but I feel like that thing hanging on my neck would make me bats.
I don't know what's worse, the heat & humidity with that fan hanging on my neck....or nothing at all.

I have experimented with both a neck fan and a UV umbrella over Memorial Day weekend. Both help immensely, but I find both to be most useful when mostly stationary. When walking, the fan tends to shift around on the neck alot. For me there is a general fear of poking someone if walking with the umbrella. But they really help when stationary in the sun or heat.

I know people are loving those, but I feel like that thing hanging on my neck would make me bats.
I don't know what's worse, the heat & humidity with that fan hanging on my neck....or nothing at all.
Exactly, plus they look bad. Which is why I go with the handheld fan. :)

We have tried many things for the Florida heat over the years. Our last trip I had purchased an OPOLAR Neck Fan 2600maH for my use. My husband ended up using it during the trip and LOVED it. He always gets really hot and sweaty at Disney but the fan around his neck kept him cool and his hands free. After we got home, I ordered a 5000maH version for our next trip so we could both have a neck fan. He’s already using it to cut grass in our muggy heat. It lasts a very long time and has lots of settings for speed. I love that I can use the USB cord they provide to recharge it and it’s lightweight when around my neck.

I've used Frogg Toggs in the past and those have helped. I'm thinking of investing in a neck fan and while I had a hat that had a cover on the back for my neck, I'm considering buying one of the Mission hats that supposedly keep you cool like the Frogg Toggs. I found a Viixm portable neck fan on Amazon that has high ratings that I was contemplating also. Of course, our next trip is at Christmas but we'll be going back in heat again also.

We prefer the handheld fans instead of the neck ones that you have to take on and off. The most powerful ones are the EasyAcc handheld fans on Amazon. I ordered and returned a bunch and those were the best. :)
I think the neck ones probably do better job at cooling but I agree having that thing around my neck is cumbersome. During Covid trips I couldn't tell you how many times my sunglass strap got tied up with my mask. Having that neck fan in the mix would have been too much .

apologies if this is the wrong subforum!

we're gonna be in WDW July 6-11. We're pretty accustomed to Hawaii weather, but I've had some very humid, gnarly experiences in Orlando. My girlfriend has an even harder time with it.

I'm thinking about bringing a small cooling towel + neck fan, and wanted to see if anyone had opinions on either! I've looked at a bunch of Amazon fans but they all are either too short a battery life or those odd mini hanging fans. would like a bladeless one if possible - especially if someone has something good to say about them.

thanks and see you all there soon!
We do the cooling towels and the handheld fans. The neck fans aren't bad since you don't have to hold it, but I feel like our handheld misting fans circulate more air. The neck fans and the ones that hand on lanyards aren't terrible, they are just smaller.

We ordered ours on Amazon and have the handheld ones with the USB charger and they hold water, we also have the foldable one so you can place it on a flat surface. Similar to this style
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T234X5...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

We dealt with August heat a few years back with only the microfiber neck towels. Of course your mileage may vary.

I have experimented with both a neck fan and a UV umbrella over Memorial Day weekend. Both help immensely, but I find both to be most useful when mostly stationary. When walking, the fan tends to shift around on the neck alot. For me there is a general fear of poking someone if walking with the umbrella. But they really help when stationary in the sun or heat.

I love my UV blocker umbrella - it really makes a difference whether walking or standing. I think it helps while walking because the canopy is in two parts to allow airflow between the layers. When I stand, I have the umbrella in one hand and fan in another. When walking, I concentrate on the umbrella so that I don't get near anyone else with it. I might not take a fan every day in the heat, but I do take the UV (it's silver on the outside) blocker umbrella. YMMV.

We just got back on Tuesday and used neck fans and cooling towels for the first time and they were both lifesavers. I’m kicking myself for not getting them years ago. I will say don’t buy the cheapest neck fans. The ones I got were $40 and they have 6 settings which we only ever used high…but they literally lasted the entire day. From the moment we got into the park to when got on the buses. Minus when we were on the a/c on rides or eating. But I’d charge them every night overnight and they’d be good for the entire next day.

I was also worried about how they would feel on my neck or if they would bother me but they really didn’t. They helped so much that I don’t think I would have cared much even if they did! Haha

Here are the ones I ordered…

OPOLAR 10000mAh Portable Neck Fan, Battery Operated Rechargeable Fan for Neck, Hands-Free Wearable Personal Fan for Men & Women, Sports Necklace Fan with 6 Speeds 48 hrs Duration, for Cycling Climbing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QZ92TQ...abc_GNVNDB0RBE61KHZYEPP5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I just got put on medicine which requires me to avoid the sun as it causes sun sensitivity. I bought a UV Umbrella. I am glad it works.

I love my UV blocker umbrella - it really makes a difference whether walking or standing. I think it helps while walking because the canopy is in two parts to allow airflow between the layers. When I stand, I have the umbrella in one hand and fan in another. When walking, I concentrate on the umbrella so that I don't get near anyone else with it. I might not take a fan every day in the heat, but I do take the UV (it's silver on the outside) blocker umbrella. YMMV.

There are other similar threads about this topic. Some indicated they liked them others didn't. When we were last at Disney in early 2019, someone in our group had one of those portable fans that also sprayed water. Several of us tried it and most felt it did nothing to make you feel cooler and the misting of water just made everyone feel wet/sticky, not cooler. There is also the issue of one more thing you have to lug around all day at the park.

I've used Frogg Toggs in the past and those have helped. I'm thinking of investing in a neck fan and while I had a hat that had a cover on the back for my neck, I'm considering buying one of the Mission hats that supposedly keep you cool like the Frogg Toggs. I found a Viixm portable neck fan on Amazon that has high ratings that I was contemplating also. Of course, our next trip is at Christmas but we'll be going back in heat again also.

I have a Mission visor and I like it a lot. The part that goes around your head can get wet, and that's nice. Since it's a visor, it's open on the top, which lets heat escape better than a baseball hat, but you still have the bill in the front for shade. Also, my Minnie ear headbands could be worn on top of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter