• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

nebulizer use in the parks.

jlcd

DIS Veteran
Hi.
I posted this question on the families board, but it was suggessted I might get more respones here.

Is there any place to use a nebulizer in the parks? First Aid? Child care center? Has anyone done this? Do you still go if yuor child needs regular neb treatments? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Go don't let the nebs stop you. any and all of those will work. 1st aid will even hold it for you sometimes. if you have a smaller neb and just neeed to plug it in sometimes a cm might be able to help you find a plug in for you to use.

On a similar note, I was wondering if perhaps they may have the machines at the First Aid locations? It'd be great to just have to carry around the meds and tubing, etc, not the whole machine. Wishful thinking, probably :)

I would love to know if they have the machines as well. I hadn't thought of that. Do people just leave them with their strollers? If it ever got stollen we would be in big trouble. I am very nervous about all this. We had been nebulizer free for 2 years and yesterday DD4 started wheezing again due to a cold. We leave on Thursday and I'm a wreck! Again, any advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated!! Tahnks

jlcd said:
I would love to know if they have the machines as well. I hadn't thought of that. Do people just leave them with their strollers? If it ever got stollen we would be in big trouble. I am very nervous about all this. We had been nebulizer free for 2 years and yesterday DD4 started wheezing again due to a cold. We leave on Thursday and I'm a wreck! Again, any advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated!! Tahnks

First of all {{{hug}}} I am sorry you're so stressed. Will you bring a backpack or anything? How large is your nebulizer? We recently got a new one (last year) and it's a LOT smaller than our old one (it came with a bag that compares to a medium size camera bag). But it's still a plug in one. I know there are also portable battery operated nebulizers that are even smaller. If you have the money that may be piece of mind for you.
http://www.portablenebs.com/index.htm This one's $200 HTH

jenr812, thanks for the support!!

Our current neb is a Pari that is about 4.5 yrs old. It fits into a cse thats a little bigger than a 35mm SLR camera case. I don't know if I could get my hands on a really small one before we leave. I'll have to check with some of the local vendors on Monday. I don't know if she will need treatments every 4 hours by Thurs but I want to be prepared. Do you know for sure you will need in park treatments or are you just trying to plan for everything?

Thanks again!

Is your Pari yellow and black? That's the one we have. It's pretty compact without the tubing and such. I wish we could afford the portable! There is an available battery pack for our Pari - it's around $100. I considering getting it.

I'm just trying to plan for everything. We won't need around the clock treatments *my DD and I both have asthma - mine's worse* but if my asthma gets bad enough, the inhaler doesn't do much. I hope that you can find something!!!

thw 1st aid and baby care centers in disney are awsome
the baby care has changing tables breat feeding place to rest and play for kids im shure u can use that or the 1st aid to use ur nebulizer

have fun

scott

We keep our small Peri neb in the room at our Resort, should it be needed. But in the Parks we carry a puffer spacer and Albuterol. Perhaps during your times in the Parks, you may use this alternative. Ask your doctor.

I have a lot of lung problems related to the weakening of my diaphragm muscles from Muscular Dystrophy and asthma. I have low vital capacity also known as pulmonary function (I only use 16 percent of my lungs, healthy people use one hundred percent), tracheostomy (trach), asthma, sleep apnea, permanently collapsed lower lobe of left lung, and I use a ventilator when I sleep and an average of 1-2 hours in the day. We carry a nebulizer and ventilator wherever we go. I also have 24 hour GJ tube feeds and partial IV (port) nutrition (digestive/bathroom issues), and use an electric wheelchair full-time. Plus my sister and mom use electric wheelchairs.

I take Xopenex treatments every 2 to 2 1/2 hours. All my medical problems really slow us down and I am worried we won't get to do anything. If I had a silent portable nebulizer do you think it would be wrong to take treatments as we walk across the park or stand in line? What about a normal noisier nebulizer hooked in through my wheelchair battery?

Christamae

I think she is getting old enough to maybe use an inhaler. I'm going to look into it, I just don't feel safe using anything"new" while away from home.

eternaldisneyfan..... I think it might be hard to use a portable neb while moving but I don't see a problem with using it while in line.

We went last fall, both my sister and I have really bad asthma, and she was getting over a terrible cold.

We contacted our DME provider and they were able to get us approved through the health insurance for a portable battery powered neb made by Pari. You can charge the battery through an outlet in the wall or through a battery charger in the car. It's VERY tiny a bit bigger than a walkman. It fit right into the backpack and wasn't heavy. Our husbands took turns carrying it during the week. When she needed a treatment, she'd just sit on a bench. She also had to take a couple treatments on the plane and 1 in the airport so it was really convienent...

You may want to contact your provider to see if this something you can do...if they can't get one for you permanently, see if they will do a weekly rental. It might be good to have even if you fly or drive down.

Good luck and have fun!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter