NCL (newer ships) vs. DCL with older teens/YA?

ldo

DIS Veteran
Hi. debating NCL Escape with young adult college "kids" for a family winter 2022 cruise. We love the family atmosphere, characters, movies, fun times on DCL. But, with kids 20-24, thinking maybe they'd like the entertainment venues (we've seen the (great) DCL shows a few times now) and other activities of a NCL big ship? I'm somewhat concerned about the "Free" drink packages offered and saw a couple of not great reviews re. a lot of drinking cause it's free (as well as lots of overall positive reviews). Looking for others' experience on Escape, Encore, Breakaway, etc. We've been on the Epic 8 years ago and (except for weird room layout, crowded breakfast buffet, and poor layout/overcrowding of pools area), liked it.

We sailed on Norwegian Bliss (in a Haven-class suite) once and will not sail NCL again. We found the service to be lacking, the upselling too ‘in your face’, the food to be ‘meh’ at best and the shows - outside of Jersey Boys - not worth it. We have a good friend who only sails NCL, never finds anything bad to say about the line and would not switch to any other line. The point is that every line has an audience. You just need to find the right fit.

As far as the impact of the free drinking package, it will vary a lot based on crowd composition for your particular sailing. Our friend‘s experience on NCL looks a lot like what we found on Celebrity : older folks going to bed early. The drink package has no real impact in that context. On our NCL sailing however, they booked three singles-only groups, one of which included a furries sub-group. There was excessive drinking at all hours of the day and unexpected behaviour during the entire week. We were quite happy to retreat to the Haven section just to get away from that…

Our go-to line outside of DCL is Celebrity. The food is excellent, the service always to our liking but the shows are ok at best, and sometimes just bad. It‘s not a deal-breaker for us. If I was sailing with active young adults, I would probably look to larger RCCL ships first because it seems they have more activities geared toward that age group.

Reactions: ldo
The kids looked at entertainment and said "let's try it." If Six (show) had been on the Escape, that would've been awesome, but DD said the After Midnight show would be OK and they liked the Burn the Floor and the Comedy Club ideas. Plus DS loved O'Sheehan's on the Epic. It's less than 1/2 the price of DCL, so we're going to give it a shot. The RCCL larger ships don't have a cost-effective cabin for 5. The DCL and NCL Escape/Breakaway family OV cabins are very similar. Once we need to move to 2 cabins, it's a bit over our price point for a Carib. cruise.

Having sailed on 3 NCL cruises, we've had our fill and won't be back. Our experience was actually a bit tamer than Marc D's, however, on our last NCL cruise, on day 1 we saw a group with "Drunk 1", "Drunk 2", etc. printed on their shirts and knew that would be our last NCL cruise. Like PP, Celebrity is our non-DCL, go-to, though it is quite sleepy (we like it that way). We are more about the itineraries than the onboard entertainment when it comes to non-DCL ships and Celebrity typically delivers with a lot of port variety.

We liked our Cruise to Alaska on the NCL Bliss. Our children were college age. We really enjoyed the racing cars, and the observation deck was stunning. We had a great time. More dining choices and overall different experience than a Disney Cruise. I will say, not sure I'd use the hot tubs later in the day or in the evening.

I’m getting a little worried about my choice of NCL encore for our Alaska cruise. I have ONLY sailed DCL. We are booked in the Haven and not big drinkers, glass of wine with dinner type folks. 😨

I was on a 12-day cruise on the NCL Breakaway out of New Orleans several years ago and I had a wonderful time and the ship is very nice. The outdoor waterfront is an interesting concept and I wish other cruise ship would do something similar. The outdoor sports complex was just okay and once I experienced the rock wall and beam walk I didn’t feel the need to do it again. Some of the shows had great scenery/stage props but just didn’t do it for me. I’m fact one show I just didn’t understand at all. I did enjoy some of the restaurant choices but of course you have to pay extra for that. The MDR food was nothing special and I would say DCL has better food. The ice bar was interesting but it’s not something I want to do again. The crew was nice but compared to DCL they fell short. Overall I don’t think I would sail on NCL again unless the itinerary and price captures my interest. I would suggest you should check out RCCL.

Last edited:

I’m getting a little worried about my choice of NCL encore for our Alaska cruise. I have ONLY sailed DCL. We are booked in the Haven and not big drinkers, glass of wine with dinner type folks. 😨

I think you will be fine inside the Haven. It was much quieter there. It was out on deck, particularly at the pool bars where it got very rowdy. As I said in my other post, if you are looking for a quieter cruise line, Celebrity is very nice. Love their "Retreat" staterooms.

There are a few Haven groups on FB I think you'll find helpful and reassuring.

Having sailed on 3 NCL cruises, we've had our fill and won't be back. Our experience was actually a bit tamer than Marc D's, however, on our last NCL cruise, on day 1 we saw a group with "Drunk 1", "Drunk 2", etc. printed on their shirts and knew that would be our last NCL cruise. Like PP, Celebrity is our non-DCL, go-to, though it is quite sleepy (we like it that way). We are more about the itineraries than the onboard entertainment when it comes to non-DCL ships and Celebrity typically delivers with a lot of port variety.
A T-shirt made you decide never to cruise on NCL again??? If I boycotted every business where people wore clothing I didn't like I'd never leave the house.

I am curious as whether the cruise length plays a factor in the amount of drunkenness on a ship. Would a package on a 3-5 night cruise cause more people to go on a drinking binge? Do people treat the package on a longer cruise like a marathon instead of a sprint?

I love the Norwegian Escape! Planning a trip on it soon since it's the only NCL ship with a true nursery so that we can drop off a new baby in the family for a few hours to give the new parents some rest.

But also... please promise to visit Spice H2O and this grotto. I wish I didn't have to leave it ever. Dreaming of being back soon.

rs=w:1280

Hi. debating NCL Escape with young adult college "kids" for a family winter 2022 cruise. We love the family atmosphere, characters, movies, fun times on DCL. But, with kids 20-24, thinking maybe they'd like the entertainment venues (we've seen the (great) DCL shows a few times now) and other activities of a NCL big ship? I'm somewhat concerned about the "Free" drink packages offered and saw a couple of not great reviews re. a lot of drinking cause it's free (as well as lots of overall positive reviews). Looking for others' experience on Escape, Encore, Breakaway, etc. We've been on the Epic 8 years ago and (except for weird room layout, crowded breakfast buffet, and poor layout/overcrowding of pools area), liked it.

I wouldn’t worry too much. For some reason, there is this belief that because there are no drink packages available/drinks are not included on DCL, adults don’t drink as much... Based on my own experience, this is not true. I’ve definitely encountered more obnoxious (drunk) people on DCL than on Carnival and Royal Caribbean.

Sometimes, I feel like some DCL cruisers are trying to scare people off of trying other cruise lines.

Last edited:
It will be great!! Encore is going to be a great ship and and the Alaska cruise is amazing. The Haven is Phenomenal. I didn't notice drinkers at all on my Alaska Cruise with them and I don't drink at all . Not even a glass of wine.

Don't worry. Some people are overly dramatic and negative and like to scare off other people.

I'm certain you'll have a great time.

Here's my take as someone who went on a cruise with my parents when I was that age (I was 20, maybe 4 months from turning 21). We went on a norwegian cruise, I don't think we had a drinking package back then for any of us over 21.

I honestly barely even remember the ship. I faintly recall our room, laying out in the sun on the deck (and getting hit on by really "odd" men) and I remember myself and my brothers playing basketball up on the top deck. Other than that I couldn't tell you anything about the ship. I can however remember every detail of every excursion we did.

My point to all of this is. You pick which cruise line YOU want to go on. I'd bet the "kids" will be happy no matter what. The demographic is very different on other cruise lines. Not that its a bad thing but just something to keep in mind. I don't really think if you compare apples to apples the cruises offer that different of night entertainment options, they will be similar :)

I am curious as whether the cruise length plays a factor in the amount of drunkenness on a ship. Would a package on a 3-5 night cruise cause more people to go on a drinking binge? Do people treat the package on a longer cruise like a marathon instead of a sprint?

I think yes, to a certain extent. Shorter cruises are generally cheaper so guests may decide they can afford a beverage package...and use it :goodvibes DH & I buy a beverage package every time we sail (granted 7 nights or longer) and honestly, we have never encountered behavior that would turn us off of any cruise line entirely. It's not a cheap option and for the majority of people, it's not a deal - I consider it more like the Disney Dining Plan. You're paying mostly for convenience. We just like the feeling of having everything paid for before we step onboard.

I wouldn't worry a bit. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. It seems like Alaska in general is a more laid-back itinerary in general and the Haven looks beautiful. Enjoy your adventure!

Just saying...I have seen my share of drunks on DCL; more on the bigger Dream & Fantasy. One night on the Fantasy, we were in the Skyline Lounge and a group was so drunk and loud everyone else got up to leave. The cruise director happened to be in the lounge at the time and we asked why he didn't do anything. His response, " We never interfere with the guests." We were appalled! Will only sail on the DCL classics.

BTW On our only NCL, we id a 5-day to Key West and Cuba--never saw any rowdy behavior or drunks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter