NCL leaves passengers behind in Africa

jdb in AZ

It could end up curdled
https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/ne...r&cvid=29eb0078ab7e4173c063c5499ae79a05&ei=13

Yes, the passengers were late returning to the ship and missed the "all aboard" but the coast guard tendered them back to the ship while it was still at anchor. But the captain would not let them board.

Years ago DH missed a DCL Wonder "all aboard" due to a time zone change (totally his fault for not adjusting his watch) but the captain waited a few mins. whew. After we got "under sail" the captain came on the loud speaker to welcome everyone back on board and commented, "Most of you made it on time." ahem.

They were very late, the ship was anchored off shore, the tenders and boarding platform secured away. There is no way these passengers could’ve boarded like a trained harbor pilot, one of the most dangerous jobs in the world. If you show up late, after all of the other passengers tendered back, most likely SOL.

They were very late, the ship was anchored off shore, the tenders and boarding platform secured away. There is no way these passengers could’ve boarded like a trained harbor pilot, one of the most dangerous jobs in the world. If you show up late, after all of the other passengers tendered back, most likely SOL.
I just felt bad that they had to jump through so many hoops to get back on board. DH and I were in Mexico (I got back to the ship in plenty of time but he wanted to make a quick shopping trip. And we were docked just across the street from the shopping center.) If the DCL ship had left, he could have got on a plane to the next port the next day, but the NCL passengers were stranded on a tiny island and had to get the American Embassy involved, then found out their next port of call was canceled so they had to travel fifteen hours across six countries.

In other words, if you're going to risk taking a private excursion that can't get you back to the ship in time, don't try it on a tiny island without a way to easily get you to the next port.

We regularly engage in private activities ashore, with a few guidelines. Please steal them if you'd like. We've refined the list over 50 years at sea. We gave up not looking like tourists long ago- our physical disabilities already cause us to stand out in a crowd. Otherwise, dress in a sensible manner and not draw excess attention to oneself. And consider keeping one's American spirit controlled to help avoid violence.

1) If we're getting on a powerboat or sailboat on an excursion and the trip is scheduled to end less than 3 hours before sail-away, book through the ship. If the boat is going more than 1.5 miles from port, book through the ship.

1a) Same as 1 for things that fly, except range is 50 miles.

2) If the feature to be experienced is more than 75 miles from the ship, book through the ship.

3) Have the name and phone number of 3 local taxis.

4) Someone in the party remains sober/limit to 1 drink. If renting a car. designated driver drinks no alcohol. No reason to get tangled up with a potential dui/dwi. Take the local rental insurance- don't rely on insurance through the credit card or your regular car insurance.

5) Each person under age 70 carries their own charged phone/electronics battery pack (5,000-10,000). We check them before leaving the cabin. Everyone has two aboard ship so that one can always be getting charged and one is available for use. This can be really helpful when coming back aboard the ship at the end of the day- our phones are not out of power!

6) Active local cell service is available on at least one phone among party members. Everyone knows how to make cell calls in whatever port we're in. The cruise's port agent's name and number are entered into all phones. Everyone knows the protocol for an emergency call in the locality (911. etc.).

7) Everyone in the party knows how to activate their phones for local use. No reason to activate on the local network in advance if there's a cost or activation is instantaneous.

7a) Phones are unlocked from their original network. International dialing is on on each phone. A locally-valid SIM card and tool is in each person's wallet if their phone isn't already good to go. Everyone knows how to replace their SIM card.

8) Very clear instructions and agreement on rendezvous points and schedule within our party during the day.

9) An extra credit card is carried on each person's body (not in a bagwallet). Niumbers are different than our primary cards. A list of all credit card numbers and credit card company contact info is in the safe aboard ship, along with copies of IDs. Ship's key cards (ship's ID) and photo ID are carried on lanyards underneath clothing if not a beach day. (eg, someone's bag/wallet gets snatched, there's a way of paying to get back to the ship and proving who we are).

10) We carry $200 emergency cash in an appropriate regional currency ($, Euro, etc.). Before going ashore, we check that all party members have necessary medications and that any controlled substances remain aboard ship if there's any issue with them being ashore (comply with prescription labeling requirements). Don't bring medications that are in conflict with the laws of any port on the itinerary aboard the ship on the first place.

11) Be within 1/2 mile of the ship an hour before all aboard time. Verify everyone in the party has their key cards and ID. That way. any issues can get resolved in a timely fashion.

11a). Be within the port security perimeter 30 minutes before all aboard. Enjoy shopping or a drink. Pay cash at time of service or credit card at the point of service.

12) Be aboard 15 minutes prior to all aboard.

Last edited:

The dangers of non-sanctioned tours... Personally unless I was in the US or Canada, maybe certain European countries, I would not risk a private tour... too risky in terms of these things.
I think it depends on the excursion. In Grand Cayman and St. Thomas, we take a taxi to the beach for a few hours but start heading back to the ship usually 2 hours before the all aboard time.
We did private tours on our Med cruise through Rome in Limo and our first guide said they pretty much do what the tour buses do and none of their guests have ever missed their ship.
If I had to take a train to board a boat to take a helicopter that will take us 4 hours away, every step is a chance it will be harder to return on time. Then it's better to book through the cruise line.

The dangers of non-sanctioned tours... Personally unless I was in the US or Canada, maybe certain European countries, I would not risk a private tour... too risky in terms of these things.
TBH, I can't recall ever hearing of this happening before now. Yes, I know cruise ships leave passengers behind sometimes, but they are not usually on a third party excursion, they usually lose track of time whilst drinking over at Señor Frogs.

In all the cruises we've done, we've only ever done 2 DCL sponsored tours. We take precautions, though maybe not as extensive as those listed by a previous poster. About the closest we've ever cut it was 30 minutes prior to all-aboard. Usually we are back an hour or more before all aboard. Our private tour guides are usually more worried than we are! I mean, no tour company stays in business very long if they get passengers back to their ship late!

I wouldn't let this one in a million story deter anyone from booking outside the cruise line for excursions. I've done many non- cruise line excursions. Do your research and read reviews, don't cut the return time short....basically use common sense... You should be fine.

We regularly engage in private activities ashore, with a few guidelines.

1) If we're getting on a power or sailboat and the trip is scheduled to end less than 3 hours before sail-away, book through the ship.

1a) Same as 1 for things that fly.

2) If its more than 50 miles from the ship, book through the ship.

3) Have the name a number of 3 local cabs.

4) Someone in the party remains sober.

5) Fully charged battery packs (10,000).

6! Active cell service one one phone.

7) Everyone knows how to activate their phones for local use.

7a) Locally-valid SIM card and tool is in each person's wallet.

8) Very clear instructions on rendezvous points within our party during the day.

9) Extra credit card carried on each person's body (nog in a bag). Niumbers are different than primary cards.

10) Carry $200 emergency cash in appropriate regional currency ($, Euro, etc.).
Number 4 made me laugh. I wouldn't want that job.

Why didn’t Ncl leave their passports with port authority? That’s not normal. And then my takeaway is who goes on a cruise to Africa 🤪? You could not pay me to go there.

Why didn’t Ncl leave their passports with port authority? That’s not normal. And then my takeaway is who goes on a cruise to Africa 🤪? You could not pay me to go there.
I read in a different article that the 21-day cruise started in So. Africa and will end up in Spain.

Norwegian's official statement to a news agency said NCL left the passengers' passports with the local port authority for the passengers to retrieve.

FWIW an elderly woman had a bad fall on an NCL-sponsored shore excursion (same cruise, same island) had several injuries including a concussion and had to fly home to California for treatment. Not my idea of a fun cruise.

Last edited:
TBH, I can't recall ever hearing of this happening before now. Yes, I know cruise ships leave passengers behind sometimes, but they are not usually on a third party excursion, they usually lose track of time whilst drinking over at Señor Frogs.

In all the cruises we've done, we've only ever done 2 DCL sponsored tours. We take precautions, though maybe not as extensive as those listed by a previous poster. About the closest we've ever cut it was 30 minutes prior to all-aboard. Usually we are back an hour or more before all aboard. Our private tour guides are usually more worried than we are! I mean, no tour company stays in business very long if they get passengers back to their ship late!
We aren't timid about doing things, but conscious of the environment. In Hawaii, we rented cars on each island, took Rhinos at Kipu Ranch, helicoptered over the canyon, etc. In Norway, rented a car and drove through a number of small towns. In the Carribean, drove ourselves around the Dominican Republic and went across Antigua, Barbados, Saint Lucia, and more. We went up into Provence when docking in Marsaiilles.

We ddi take ship's excursions when going to the Alhambra and Florence- we'd sailed out of Rome that trip. There wasnt a better option for getting into Florence. I was concerned about the timing and communications about internal Spain. I didn't want to get jammed up- it was a 8 hour excursion because of the distance.

We really only stay close to the ship at Grand Turk- we've been there a half dozen times and dob't need to revisit the donkeys. Jack's Shack is a good destination.

I’m off soon to Antigua. I’d much rather take a DCL excursion but they no longer do the Jolly Beach which I would have been happy with, although it’s still the port adventure listed on their website. It’s just not what they now offer.
They’ve changed it to just a beach escape with no description of precisely which beach. It’s not Jolly Bay though!
I’ve been to Antigua and stayed on the island before and some beaches are ideal for me like Jolly Beach and some aren’t due to the shelving of beach to the ocean.
I wish that DCL were more explicit because now I will get a cab and go independently but I’d rather have the security of using the recommended DCL excursion.

o
I’m off soon to Antigua. I’d much rather take a DCL excursion but they no longer do the Jolly Beach which I would have been happy with, although it’s still the port adventure listed on their website. It’s just not what they now offer.
They’ve changed it to just a beach escape with no description of precisely which beach. It’s not Jolly Bay though!
I’ve been to Antigua and stayed on the island before and some beaches are ideal for me like Jolly Beach and some aren’t due to the shelving of beach to the ocean.
I wish that DCL were more explicit because now I will get a cab and go independently but I’d rather have the security of using the recommended DCL excursion.
Dickenson, Port James, and Hawksbill are probably the best/most popular beaches on the island.

Jolly Beach resort is now reopened.

Last edited:
We regularly engage in private activities ashore, with a few guidelines. Please steal them if you'd like: We've refined the list over 50 years at sea. We gave up not looking like tourists long ago- our physical disabilities already cause us to stand out in a crowd. Otherwise, dress in a sensible manner and not draw excess attention to oneself. And consider keeping one's American spirit controlled to help avoid violence.

1) If we're getting on a power or sailboat on an excursion and the trip is scheduled to end less than 3 hours before sail-away, book through the ship. If the boat is going more than 1.5 miles from port, book through the ship.

1a) Same as 1 for things that fly, except range is 50 miles.

2) If the feature to be experienced is more than 75 miles from the ship, book through the ship.

3) Have the name and phone number of 3 local taxis.

4) Someone in the party remains sober/limit to 1 drink. If renting a car. designated driver drinks no alcohol. No reason to get tangled up with a potential dui/dwi. Take the local rental insurance- don't rely on insurance through the credit card or your regular car insurance.

5) Each person under age 70 carries their own charged phone/electronics battery pack (5,000-10,000). We check them before leaving the cabin. Everyone has two aboard ship so that one can alway br getting charged and one available for use.

6! Active local cell service is available on at least one phone among party members. Everyone knows how to make calls in whatever port we're in. The port agent's name and number are entered into all phones. Everyone knows the protocol for an emergency call in the locality (911. etc.).

7) Everyone in the party knows how to activate their phones for local use. No reason to activate on the local network in advance if there's a cost or activation is instantaneous.

7a) Phones are unlocked from their original network. International dialing is on on each phone. A locally-valid SIM card and tool is in each person's wallet if their phone isn't already good to go. Everyone knows how to replace their SIM card.

8) Very clear instructions and agreement on rendezvous points and schedule within our party during the day.

9) Extra credit card is carried on each person's body (not in a bag). Niumbers are different than primary cards. A list of all credit card numbers and company contact info is in the safe aboard ship, along with copies of IDs. Ship's key cards (ship's ID) and photo ID are on lanyards underneath clothing if not a beach day. (eg, someone's bag/wallet gets snatched, there's a way of paying to get back to the ship and proving who we are).

10) Carry $200 cash in appropriate regional currency ($, Euro, etc.). Check that all party members have necessary medications and that any controlled substances remain aboard ship if there's any issue with them being ashore (comply with prescription labeling requirements). Don't bring medications that are in conflict with any port on the itinerary aboard the ship on the first place.

11. Be within 1/2 mile of the ship an hour before all aboard time. Verify everyone in the party has their key cards and ID.

11a. Be within the port security perimeter 30 minutes before all aboard.

12. Be aboard 15 minutes prior to all aboard.
This list kind of makes the argument that you should just book the cruise lines tours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter