NBA has apparently chosen a resort

have reservations for CSR starting August 1st wonder what we are going to have to do. Hoping they give us an upgrade as we really wanted to stay there. And we have lost everything else we had booked so far. And my son’s birthday cannot change,so we are going then no matter once.

I don't follow the NBA. Can anyone tell me how long this will last? Is it a few weeks or months? I always thought basketball was in the winter months? Again, I don't follow basketball. Am an College football and NFL fan, LOL!

I don't follow the NBA. Can anyone tell me how long this will last? Is it a few weeks or months? I always thought basketball was in the winter months? Again, I don't follow basketball. Am an College football and NFL fan, LOL!
It would be to finish out the season that was interrupted due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The NBA is reportedly going to vote on this tomorrow (6/4), so more details may be available after the vote.

The proposed schedule has them starting games late July and then running through early October. I would assume as teams are eliminated from the playoffs they would depart for home?

But it hasn't been approved yet.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...lan-22-team-return-eight-regular-season-games
They will play 8 regular season games at the Wide World of Sports Complex, and then the playoffs will begin which will also be at the WWOSC. I think I saw somewhere that the playoffs are expected to end in October. They will stay at Disney hotels. My guess is that they will occupy the Deluxe resorts. I have a hard time imagining that NBA players will be at a value or even a moderate resort.

NBA and Disney have a good relationship, plus the games are on ESPN, which is owned by Disney. Yay for self promotion!

Edit: This still has to be approved by the NBA's Board of Governors but it sounds like it's all but official

Last edited:
They will stay at Disney hotels. My guess is that they will occupy the Deluxe resorts. I have a hard time imagining that NBA players will be at a value or even a moderate resort.

Normally I would agree, but these circumstances are out of the ordinary. I think the players will put up with what they have to in order to play in a healthy environment. After all, they are playing to win, and don’t want their teams compromised.

The main reason I think CSR is likely is the Bubble factor. It’s the best choice of resort that can be completely cut off from other guests. Any deluxe attached to a DVC would be out, which I believe would only leave YC, and with the other Epcot resorts in walking distance, the risk is too great that one person could violate the bubble. If they are at CSR, they can be bussed to and from the games and people from other resorts can’t just walk in without being noticed. They could bring in extra temporary amenities to make their stay more comfortable, even having special events in the convention facilities, since everyone attending and working will be in the bubble together. CSR could be considered a sort of “Deluxe lite” based on their amenities. I would not put it past them to open BB just for the players as well, since it’s so close and I haven’t heard a lot about what is happening with the water parks.

I do feel bad for the guests who will be relocated though. So much thought and care goes into a resort choice, and for some people CSR is their favorite resort and they wouldn’t be happy staying anywhere else. For example, I really don’t like AKL, so if I were moved there, I would not enjoy it. I do hope the displaced guests are able to enjoy their trips.

My son works for MLS and they are scheduled to arrive at Disney on June 24th. They initially were told they would be staying at CSR but that has changed as the NBA is now staying there. They do not yet have final details on where they will be but it appears it will be a Disney resort. They will essentially be "in a bubble" and will go from the resort to WWOS for training and to play games. The entire travel party will be over 1100 people with players and staff.

I do feel bad for the guests who will be relocated though. So much thought and care goes into a resort choice, and for some people CSR is their favorite resort and they wouldn’t be happy staying anywhere else. For example, I really don’t like AKL, so if I were moved there, I would not enjoy it. I do hope the displaced guests are able to enjoy their trips.

Given the amount of resort availability this summer that was showing before they shut it all down, I wouldn't be surprised if they would work with CSR guests on a substitute if the guest complained with the upgrade they are offered.

My son works for MLS and they are scheduled to arrive at Disney on June 24th. They initially were told they would be staying at CSR but that has changed as the NBA is now staying there. They do not yet have final details on where they will be but it appears it will be a Disney resort. They will essentially be "in a bubble" and will go from the resort to WWOS for training and to play games. The entire travel party will be over 1100 people with players and staff.
How long would MLS be playing? Would there be overlap between them and the NBA? I would think that could be risky as far as WWOS is concerned if both bubbles are there together.

Curious to know where they move people from Gran Destino - not really a moderate to moderate situation.

I hope everyone posts their relocations and also hope people aren't too disappointed. :(

How long would MLS be playing? Would there be overlap between them and the NBA? I would think that could be risky as far as WWOS is concerned if both bubbles are there together.
MLS tournament is scheduled to end on Aug 9th and from what I saw the NBA is due to start around July 31st so there will be overlap. MLS will be outside for training and games and NBA will be inside.

MLS tournament is scheduled to end on Aug 9th and from what I saw the NBA is due to start around July 31st so there will be overlap. MLS will be outside for training and games and NBA will be inside.
I hope no one gets on the wrong bus . . .

Well, I wonder if MLS would take over PO. It’s the next best isolation option that isn’t a value. I think it would probably be more palatable for displaced guests to be upgraded to deluxe resorts, and the displaced guests wouldn’t need to be in a bubble.

I have read on several other Disney blogs that the NBA was considering AKL but it would not be big enough when the families are allowed to join the players. AKL would work for MLS but Kidani Village would have to be included or there wouldn't be enough rooms. Even if there were enough rooms in Jambo House they would not be able to use Kidani for DVC renters because the "bubble" would be broken. Not sure if Disney would displace people from Kidani....

I really think CSR makes sense for the NBA for the amount of rooms they are requesting. CSR now has over 2400 - it really does the trick in terms of space!

Does anyone know how many people will be coming with MLS? If we knew approximate numbers we might be able to start guessing where they are going! POR/POFQ sounds like a good choice, but where do you put any VIP's? Would Jambo or RIV be a better choice? I don't know how that affects DVC contracts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter