Navigator App

Sleepyluke

DIS Veteran
Ok, how many of you use it and love it or hate it? I see a cruise as the perfect reason to get rid fo the phone and really dont want to carry it around all day. IS the app that much easier than the paper version?

I haven't used it on DCL yet but I have on other lines. I carried my phone to use as a camera so it wasn't a big deal. If I have to carry a wave phone and my phone then it would probably bug me

I use my iPhone for taking photos while on the ship, so I had my phone with me anyway. I loved the app. There were a couple of errors (one with the timing of an event at Edge and another that I'm blanking on right now), but overall I found it to be helpful and efficient. I actually liked that I didn't have to carry the paper Navigator around.

One of the things I was looking most forward to for our recent (last week) cruise was putting my phone in airplane mode and leaving it in the room, so I totally get where you are coming from.

Having said that, I did use the app a bit (more and more as the cruise went on) and I did like it. It listed menus for dinner and I liked that I could filter out the activities to search for what I wanted. Sometimes I find the paper Navigator a bit...overwhelming, I guess, but here I could say I just wanted to see what was going on in a certain category (i.e. adult-only experiences only, character meet & greats only, etc.) and it was laid out very cleanly, so I liked that a lot. I didn't use it very much but the times I did use it, the times were correct. I didn't look through it to see what other features were available but I liked it for the streamlined Navigator and the dinner menus (the only features I actually tried out).

I loved it. I could look at the activities for the day, and if one looked interesting but wasn't at a good time, I could click on it and find out when else it would be offered during the cruise (on a different day). Same with character appearances. Can't do that with the paper navigator (look days ahead).

I also liked it for perusing the menus or making last minute decisions about what to do (there was more in the app than the paper navigator).

I used it on my ipad. having said that, I only used it for checking out the dinner menu. it was nice to have an idea of what there was to order before sitting down. we also used it for movies and times. I didn't actually carry it with me. this was all done in the cabin before heading out.
other than that I don't use the navigator much anyways, i'm there to relax and not run from one event to the next.

We've now taken two cruises since this started. I've loaded the app on my phone for both, and promptly reverted to the paper navigator. Didn't see any reason to use the app since it was already written down for me and I didn't need to carry the phone around on board.

I used the app last week on the Wonder and I loved it. I've attended several conventions that use similar apps (Dragon Con, Star Wars Celebration) and I find it so much easier than carrying around a spreadsheet all day. If I have to carry something around with me, I'd rather it be my phone than the paper navigator that can get torn, ripped, etc.

I am one who is just used to carrying my phone everywhere all the time anyway for camera, clock etc. So I love the Navigator app and think it's terrific. My favorites were the menus, activities and character appearances. I also use it at home as my countdown clock for the next trip.

I found it convenient. I still turned the regular wifi and phone service off so It was more just a place for information without being bothered by the usual things on my phone.

I used it during our last cruise on the Magic in the Mediterranean and it worked well. It's handy to look forward in the "navigators". By doing that I could see when the different characters came out, and with that information you can make decisions like "which day should I go on the photo with Goofy?".
Also, I looked for the dinner menus on the app to see what I could expect every night.

Does the app show the kid's menus as well? It would be great if my kids could pick what they wanted to order before we got to the dining room.

Also, does this app work on Android phones or just iphones?

Any surprise charges when using the app during international cruises? Just wondering if I should be cautious.

Does the app show the kid's menus as well? It would be great if my kids could pick what they wanted to order before we got to the dining room.

Also, does this app work on Android phones or just iphones?

Yes, they show the kid's menus as well and this app work on Android (I have a Samsung Galaxy S4). :)

Any surprise charges when using the app during international cruises? Just wondering if I should be cautious.

@Kyanite No, the Disney Cruise Navigator app uses the ships onboard Wi-Fi. Just be sure to put your phone in Airplane mode (alternatively, you could just disable mobile data, if you plan on making phone calls or text messages, these may be expensive depending on your phone plan though), then enable Wi-Fi and connect to "DCL-GUEST"

I loved it. I could look at the activities for the day, and if one looked interesting but wasn't at a good time, I could click on it and find out when else it would be offered during the cruise (on a different day). Same with character appearances. Can't do that with the paper navigator (look days ahead).

I also liked it for perusing the menus or making last minute decisions about what to do (there was more in the app than the paper navigator).
Same here. Along with those reasons, I have hated the paper Navigator ever since they changed to the grid format years ago, and I hate its fine print, along with having to fold it up and carry it. It's more convenient to carry my phone, plus it's easier for me to find and to view the info.

Note: I stay disconnected from the Web, email and cell service when cruising. I use my phone aboard for the Navigator app, occasional photos or video, listening to music, and referring to some of my lists. I never carry a Wave phone. Never!

I don't carry my phone or the wave phone, so I take the paper Nav with me. DD hi-lites the activies/characters she wants to do/see on the paper Nav, so that's what I refer to. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter