Navigator App on iTouch?

closetmickey

DIS Veteran
Has anyone had success with installing the app onto an iTouch? I would like my daughter to be able to use but when trying to install, it says I need to update- but I can't find a way to do so on the device. Is it possible that the iTouch is just too old?

Has anyone had success with installing the app onto an iTouch? I would like my daughter to be able to use but when trying to install, it says I need to update- but I can't find a way to do so on the device. Is it possible that the iTouch is just too old?

Not sure, try plugging the device into a PC with a current/updated version of ITunes installed. iTunes should, in theory, detect the device and tell you if an update is available. Please back up your data first if so. :)

The DCL Navigator app requires iOS v 7.x or higher. You need to go into the Settings app on the iPod touch and check for a Software Update.

It appears my device does not allow 7.0. Does anyone have an iPod that does? Wondering if there is any hope:).

Thanks for the previous replies!

This may be a dumb question, but I'm horrible when it comes to technology...

Do you need cell service to use the App onboard? I never turn my phone on during a cruise...1) because I like to completely "unplug" during my vacations and 2) because I don't want to pay int'l or roaming charges. Can you use the app in "airplane mode"?

The newer iPod definitely works. My son has the 5th gen iPod touch and had no problems using the app on our cruise last week.

It appears my device does not allow 7.0. Does anyone have an iPod that does? Wondering if there is any hope:).

Thanks for the previous replies!

I don't know if they still make or support iPod touches. Might be cheaper to buy a used iPhone 4s or something. Or a 5c.

This may be a dumb question, but I'm horrible when it comes to technology...

Do you need cell service to use the App onboard? I never turn my phone on during a cruise...1) because I like to completely "unplug" during my vacations and 2) because I don't want to pay int'l or roaming charges. Can you use the app in "airplane mode"?
Yes, put your phone in airplane mode and turn on your wi-fi. They will not charge you wi-fi if it is for the navigator app. You can also sign up for 50Meg of free wifi on embarkation day.

Yes, put your phone in airplane mode and turn on your wi-fi. They will not charge you wi-fi if it is for the navigator app. You can also sign up for 50Meg of free wifi on embarkation day.

Ok thank you! That sounds easy enough for me to handle. :)

I don't know if they still make or support iPod touches. Might be cheaper to buy a used iPhone 4s or something. Or a 5c.

Good idea! We have an old iPhone laying around. Would that work even though it is not hooked up to any sort of phone/internet plan?

Good idea! We have an old iPhone laying around. Would that work even though it is not hooked up to any sort of phone/internet plan?

I might be on shaky ground here but you used to be able to use iPhones without a cellular plan. It does need to be new enough to accept iOS 7, sounds like.

Yes, they still make iPod Touches. I purchase one for my daughter for Christmas. She has a 5th Generation one and we've been able to install the DCL Navigator app. We just haven't been on board yet to test it out. I used the app on my Android phone when I was on a cruise in October, but they hadn't started the texting feature yet.

As long as the old iPhone supports at least iOS 7, you can load the Navigator app. To use the DCL Navigator app, you only need WiFi which is usable on the iPhone even if it doesn't currently have active cell service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter