Navigating WDW Trip with a Rolling Walker

Becca43

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with a chronic illness not too long ago, and I have a few questions regarding navigating an upcoming WDW trip with a rolling walker. This will be both my first WDW trip and my first vacation in general using a mobility aid.

A few practical WDW trip questions:

1) Can anyone shed light on transporting a rolling walker from the airport to WDW resort using Mears?

2) Similarly, what about on WDW transport from the value resorts to the parks and vice versa?

I’ve seen some info on both of these for wheelchairs/ECVs but since I’m using a rolling walker, I’m not clear on a) whether I need to contact them in advance for accommodations or b) where a rolling walker would be kept during transport (stowed with luggage, special area on the bus, anywhere on the bus with me at my seat, etc.?)

3) When going on rides at the park, how would someone using a rolling walker be reunited with their mobility aid afterwards? Do rides always let you off on the same side you got on, where the walker would be waiting? It’s been a long time since I’ve been to WDW but I know at local theme parks, patrons tend to enter many rides on one side and exit on the other…

And a question about using a rolling walker that is not specific to WDW but would be helpful in the context of travel:

4) For rollator users, how do you keep you rollator folded when not in use? I have a basic model, and keeping it closed while moving it (ex. to take it on/off of transit, taking it in and out of an Uber, etc.) is a challenge for me. Have you found a way or a device that easily allows you to securely keep it folded when not in use? I have been trying to search online but I haven’t been able to find what I’m looking for.

Any info or insight you have would be greatly appreciated! Please feel free to point me to existing threads as well - I tried to search before posting but didn’t have any luck. But maybe I just wasn’t looking in the right places. Thanks so much! 😊

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with a chronic illness not too long ago, and I have a few questions regarding navigating an upcoming WDW trip with a rolling walker. This will be both my first WDW trip and my first vacation in general using a mobility aid.

1) Can anyone shed light on transporting a rolling walker from the airport to WDW resort using Mears?

2) Similarly, what about on WDW transport from the value resorts to the parks and vice versa?

I’ve seen some info on both of these for wheelchairs/ECVs but since I’m using a rolling walker, I’m not clear on a) whether I need to contact them in advance for accommodations or b) where a rolling walker would be kept during transport (stowed with luggage, special area on the bus, anywhere on the bus with me at my seat, etc.?)

3) When going on rides at the park, how would someone using a rolling walker be reunited with their mobility aid afterwards? Do rides always let you off on the same side you got on, where the walker would be waiting? It’s been a long time since I’ve been to WDW but I know at local theme parks, patrons tend to enter many rides on one side and exit on the other…

And a question about using a rolling walker that is not specific to WDW but would be helpful in the context of travel:

4) For rollator users, how do you keep you rollator folded when not in use? I have a basic model, and keeping it closed while moving it (ex. to take it on/off of transit, taking it in and out of an Uber, etc.) is a challenge for me. Have you found a way or a device that easily allows you to securely keep it folded when not in use? I have been trying to search online but I haven’t been able to find what I’m looking for.

Any info or insight you have would be greatly appreciated! Please feel free to point me to existing threads as well - I tried to search before posting but didn’t have any luck. But maybe I just wasn’t looking in the right places. Thanks so much! 😊
I usually rent an ECV but use a rollator as well at WDW and I've often traveled with a friend who uses a rollator. I've not taken in on the Mears style bus but I think it would go underneath with the luggage unless you asked to bring it on. On a Disney bus they will let you board first {with the wheelchairs if there are any or if you wait in the WC spot) so you can use the ramp. My friend usually folds her up but it is kind of hard to hold onto if the bus is crowded. You just have to do the best you can. Sometimes it can fit under a seat on some style of busses. You wouldn't be along in trying to hold on to it as there's always people with folded up large strollers struggling to hold on to them as well lol!

Her device was reunited with her where she got off the ride, just like an ECV or WC would be. My rollator doesn't lock when folded either so we've bought some Velcro and cut long strips - but they're kind of a pain to use.

I used a rollator in the parks for years. I have a Drive Nitro and it folds and has a lock to keep it closed.

Mears: The rollator would be folded and placed under the bus. Just let the bus driver know you will need it when you get off or keep a cane with you until they unload all the luggage and you get your rollator back.

Disney: I would always wait for the bus at the wheelchair area. When it was my turn to get on, I could stroll up the wheelchair ramp onto the bus. After seated, we would close the rollator and hold it closely in front of us. You can also stand in the regular line but will need to fold the rollator before getting on, similar to parents with strollers.

Regarding rides at Disney, you can use the rollator in the line. The cast member will take it from you before loading and it will be waiting for you after you get off the ride. I always kept a foldable cane with me to use once they take the rollator.

Keeping rollator closed: Even though my rollator has a lock on it, when I use for air travel and gate check it, I also use a short bungee cord on it, as well, so I know without a doubt it will stay closed in the airplane hold. I don’t need the bungee cord otherwise.

By the way, if you find walking with the rollator is too tiring for your illness after a few days and want to rent an ECV at the park, the Cast Member will take your rollator and hold it in the back area for you while you rent the ECV. When you return the ECV, they will bring your rollator back out to you.

Have a great trip!!

For rollator users, how do you keep you rollator folded when not in use? I have a basic model, and keeping it closed while moving it (ex. to take it on/off of transit, taking it in and out of an Uber, etc.) is a challenge for me. Have you found a way or a device that easily allows you to securely keep it folded when not in use? I have been trying to search online but I haven’t been able to find what I’m looking for.

One option for keeping it closed could maybe be a hook & eye kind of hardware like you might otherwise use on a cabinet door or gate for example. You should be able to drill holes and screw them in.

If I were going to use Velcro, I’d look for oversized cable holders/straps that can be attached to one post and then wrapped around an opposing post once folded, and then the strap will stick to itself as they are double sided.

Another idea would be to use a ball style bungee, to go around two posts of the frame like the Velcro… but you just slip the loop over the bead. See photo.

Regular bungee would work too. Tie it onto the frame and then wrap it around and fasten the hooks together.

Attachments

• 53BF8B86-CD71-4F63-8FBB-608367A4F74F.jpeg
    53BF8B86-CD71-4F63-8FBB-608367A4F74F.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 9
I use a upright rollator when I've gone on cruises. It actually a has a plastic hook on it that keeps it folded. I specifically got this kind because a) it puts much less stress on my shoulders and b) it can still be rolled easily when folded up to maneuver through tighter spaces.

1697621787044.png

Before buying my upright rollator, I rented a 'normal' one and it was a nightmare to get through the cabin door. Once folded, it couldn't be used at all and was very cumbersome.

1697622047581.png1697622099368.png

My advice would be to think about how it folds up and how your are going to use it. There are many types out there.

Perhaps consider a strip of Velcro OneWrap; it's two-sided Velcro so that anytime you need to wrap it around something, it sticks to itself. When not in use, you can just easily loop it around on the device. Lightweight, easy for almost everyone to use, inexpensive, available at most all Walmart stores.

Thanks so much for the suggestions, everyone! Really appreciate your help and input 🙂

Another question I’ve been thinking about recently: for those who’ve done WDW with a rollator, how much did you find its wheel size mattered? My current, primary rollator has 6” wheels and is great for things like trips to the mall, museums or galleries. But, I’ve heard ones with bigger wheels can be preferable for outdoor outings — in your experience would this be true at the WDW parks? Or does it not make much of a difference? Thanks again!

Thanks so much for the suggestions, everyone! Really appreciate your help and input 🙂

Another question I’ve been thinking about recently: for those who’ve done WDW with a rollator, how much did you find its wheel size mattered? My current, primary rollator has 6” wheels and is great for things like trips to the mall, museums or galleries. But, I’ve heard ones with bigger wheels can be preferable for outdoor outings — in your experience would this be true at the WDW parks? Or does it not make much of a difference? Thanks again!
my husband had to use one last summer on vacation granted a different park but he found the bigger wheels worked better than the smaller ones outside. he did not need inside most places

I have used both the smaller wheel size, and the larger size (on 2 different Rollators) and aside from some very specific issues regarding thresholds (which generally won’t be a problem for you in the Parks) what I think you might want to consider is the *hand grips*.

The hand grips are where you will be placing your weight while walking. And while most Rollators have either foam or rubber hand grips, what I have learned is that those are inadequate when you are using the Rollator for long distances.

Good news! There is a “fix” for that - and what you need is some of the Velcro OneWrap (that I mentioned above, find it at almost every WalMart, and on Amazon) and… a pool noodle.

You need two sections, cut about 4” long from the pool noodle, and two lengths of Velcro OneWrap sufficient to go around your pool noodle sections about 1-½ times. (One pool noodle section and one piece of Velcro OneWrap for each hand grip)

Cut 2 sections of pool noodles that are between 4 & 6 inches long (long enough to cover the original hand grips) and then I cut a slit down the length of each section. I slip each of the sections over the handlbars, and I use a length of my favorite stuff: the Velcro OneWrap! to wrap around and secure the pool noodle sections.

Here's a picture to show you what it looks like wrapped around the hand grip on my rollator:

IMG_1681.jpeg

It offers a good cushion for my hands and wrists, and doesn't interfere when I fold the walker. It won't make noisy wheels quieter, but it will help dampen vibrations that can make driving the walker uncomfortable. I can change them out easily whenever they lose their "squish"!

Ok I’m going to give my 2 cents. I haven’t done a New Year’s party since before we were married and I have been married for 17 years now. So let’s say the last new years I did was 17 years ago. It was at narcoossee’s. Was a great night. 17 years ago 300 a head. The California grill was 600 a head. It was the first year they really really increased the price so why we ended up at narcoosse’s.

So my point I’m going to say 800 17 years later is actually prob on the cheaper side for Disney. That 600 dollar night was no characters and no theming like they are doing.

The Narcoossee one was nice. Weren’t a lot of people it was like 10 courses or something stupid long. All sit down with a jazz band.

So 800 is a ton of money but overall might not be that stupid of a number when you first look at it.

If I didn’t have kids or my kids were older. I would prob try to talk my wife into it being themed and also knowing there isn’t going to be a ton of people in there.

article mentioned dress code at the end. Dress code is a whole other situation. Ours was not black tie like California grill used to request. It was semi formal so my wife bought a new dress and I wore a business suit. Couple next to us was dressed up the same along with a few others but they didn’t getfthe numbers they wanted and opened it back up and the few tables next to us t shirts and jeans. I don’t care it was a very cool night but you will still have those dressed for the 9 and then park dressed. Plus formal wear is totally different anymore my daughter is going to a semi formal winter dance and said she is wearing sneakers cause all the girls are and our neighbors kids at thier senior formal all had sneakers on last year so I guess that’s a thing? I don’t know. Now I’m ranting.

All in all 800 vs 600 17 plus years ago with characters and theming now not a bad deal.

If I could swing it I think I would do it as a gift for the 2 of us.

I have used both the smaller wheel size, and the larger size (on 2 different Rollators) and aside from some very specific issues regarding thresholds (which generally won’t be a problem for you in the Parks) what I think you might want to consider is the *hand grips*.

The hand grips are where you will be placing your weight while walking. And while most Rollators have either foam or rubber hand grips, what I have learned is that those are inadequate when you are using the Rollator for long distances.

Good news! There is a “fix” for that - and what you need is some of the Velcro OneWrap (that I mentioned above, find it at almost every WalMart, and on Amazon) and… a pool noodle.

You need two sections, cut about 4” long from the pool noodle, and two lengths of Velcro OneWrap sufficient to go around your pool noodle sections about 1-½ times. (One pool noodle section and one piece of Velcro OneWrap for each hand grip)

Cut 2 sections of pool noodles that are between 4 & 6 inches long (long enough to cover the original hand grips) and then I cut a slit down the length of each section. I slip each of the sections over the handlbars, and I use a length of my favorite stuff: the Velcro OneWrap! to wrap around and secure the pool noodle sections.

Here's a picture to show you what it looks like wrapped around the hand grip on my rollator:

IMG_1681.jpeg

It offers a good cushion for my hands and wrists, and doesn't interfere when I fold the walker. It won't make noisy wheels quieter, but it will help dampen vibrations that can make driving the walker uncomfortable. I can change them out easily whenever they lose their "squish"!
Wow-that's a great tip, mama bunny! For those of us who get sore, arthritic hands that's a good idea. And fortunately we live in an area of the country where pool noodles are available year-round.

This is a great tip! Thank you!

Something you mentioned also caught my eye, which was about it not making noisy wheels quieter… is that common for rollators of all wheel sizes? I only ask because I am also sensitive to sensory input (and noise in particular) so that would be important for me to plan for as well! It hasn’t been an issue for me to date, but as I mentioned, I’ve primarily used my rollator for indoor outings only (aquarium, museums, etc.) so I’m sure it would potentially be very different somewhere outdoors on the pavement like at WDW

This is a great tip! Thank you!

Something you mentioned also caught my eye, which was about it not making noisy wheels quieter… is that common for rollators of all wheel sizes? I only ask because I am also sensitive to sensory input (and noise in particular) so that would be important for me to plan for as well! It hasn’t been an issue for me to date, but as I mentioned, I’ve primarily used my rollator for indoor outings only (aquarium, museums, etc.) so I’m sure it would potentially be very different somewhere outdoors on the pavement like at WDW

Noisy wheels can occur for several reasons:
- the composition of the tires/wheels
- the size of the tires/wheels
- the surface that the tires/wheels are running on
- the amount of downward pressure that the user may be placing on the wheels

You won't notice tire noise in the Parks; it's simply too busy. The pool noodles will help mitigate almost all "road noise" that may come through the frame when on a smooth surface (like at the Resort Hotel).

A set of Loops can be very reasonably priced, and may help with any lingering noise issues. They also work very well for parades, fireworks, etc. I wore them myself this last trip, and was very pleased. They will not block out all sound (they are NOT noise-cancelling) but instead they reduce ambient crowd noise and allow you to still hear the music from the parade or fireworks projections. Both our adult daughter and I wore them and it was striking when we would remove them how much it helped. No batteries to charge, either.

Having said all that, let me say this: We were just at WDW for the week following Thanksgiving. (AKL/4 Hoppers, lots of hot chocolate and time spent with friends, and of course shopping & dining at Disney Springs)

During the course of our 8 days/7 nights the "style" of Rollator that I saw in use the most was this type:

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 1.48.28 AM.jpeg
We saw both Guests and Cast Members using this type of Rollator the most. The standard "granny special" was still in use, but the "Nitro" or European style was the most popular.

Hi friends! Thanks again for all your great tips. Looking forward to sharing how all these tips worked out for me once I return from my trip 🙂 But, in the meantime, another question…

I realized I forgot to share some important context in terms of riding the WDW buses to and from the resort — one of the main reasons I will need to use a rollator at WDW is because I cannot stand for long periods of time and need to be seated in lines, on transportation, etc. I’m assuming one is likely not allowed to use their rollator as a seat while on transportation due to safety? In which case, how would I ensure that I can get a regular seat when using the WDW buses? Is it just a matter of waiting in the wheelchair/accessibility area?

Thanks again for all your help! 😊

Hi friends! Thanks again for all your great tips. Looking forward to sharing how all these tips worked out for me once I return from my trip 🙂 But, in the meantime, another question…

I realized I forgot to share some important context in terms of riding the WDW buses to and from the resort — one of the main reasons I will need to use a rollator at WDW is because I cannot stand for long periods of time and need to be seated in lines, on transportation, etc. I’m assuming one is likely not allowed to use their rollator as a seat while on transportation due to safety? In which case, how would I ensure that I can get a regular seat when using the WDW buses? Is it just a matter of waiting in the wheelchair/accessibility area?

Thanks again for all your help! 😊

Just wait in the handicap loading area where they have wheelchairs and ECV’s wait. After those are loaded you can walk up the ramp with the rollator and take a seat. You then just fold it and hold it as close to your legs as you can. If the bus doesn’t have a lot of standing passengers I have let mine open up and held on to it if no one was in front of me because it’s hard to hold folded. Sometimes there was a spot beside my seat to fold it and tuck it in but that was not often.

Lots of tips of using the rollator, but since this is your first trip to WDW, just be caution you don't wear yourself out. Almost everyone is surprised how big disney is and how far you walk.

I did just think of a tip, if you plan to bring a water bottle, snacks, sweatshirt, bring a small bag too. While walking you can have those things in the basket, but while sitting on bus with it folded up, you'll need a way to hold on to that stuff. Easier if it's all contained in a bag.

ETA, perhaps your rollator has a basket /pouch with a zipper. My DH's doesn't and when folded , anything beyond a piece of paper will fall out.

Last edited:

1. We just did this a few weeks ago. We used Mears to and from the airport (old DME buses both ways) and it worked out perfectly fine. I think we did include it on the reservation but we only needed it transported. My 12-year-old was able to get up the stairs with the help of another person, and we sat in the front row. Both our buses had a wheelchair lift into the bus.
2. We used Walker on all forms of Disney Transport this trip. Buses, each driver lowered the ramp and my daughter boarded via the back. Easy Peasy. One night the ramp got struck but the driver had a manual way to flip it down and only took about an extra 2 minutes. On the Skyliner we boarded using the wheelchair line which stops and lets you board that way. On the Friendship boats we just wheeled it on. Only a few inches up or down (less than a sidewalk curb). The monorail was the trickiest. Once we used the ramp but a few other times I picked it up onto the train for my daughter. I would use the ramp if you are solo.
3. Yes. She always got her walker immediately back when we exited. It is a common occurrence, and the CMs all knew what to do. It was never once an issue. I was worried so we had an airtag in it. Sometimes it is exactly where you left it and sometimes they move it to another room for you but each one told us exactly what to expect when we got on.
4. The model we have only kinda folds. It isn't terribly stable when folded. But is is quite compact. I didn't worry about it and we had no issues with the airline or with Mears. We didn't need to fold it at all on any Disney rides. We did fold it to make room on the bus. But we were holding onto it the whole time (my daughter was always seated on the Disney bus). When ours is folded it will stay folded.

We stressed so much before going because this was the first trip she was too old and big for me to rent a stroller to get us through the trip but it was a very easy trip with her being able to use her own equipment.

Lots of tips of using the rollator, but since this is your first trip to WDW, just be caution you don't wear yourself out. Almost everyone is surprised how big disney is and how far you walk.

I did just think of a tip, if you plan to bring a water bottle, snacks, sweatshirt, bring a small bag too. While walking you can have those things in the basket, but while sitting on bus with it folded up, you'll need a way to hold on to that stuff. Easier if it's all contained in a bag.

ETA, perhaps your rollator has a basket /pouch with a zipper. My DH's doesn't and when folded , anything beyond a piece of paper will fall out.

The basket is a good point mine has a wire basket and I decided it would be more of a pain than anything and left it home. I wish it had the soft one that would let the walker be folded with it intact.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter