• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Navigating Disney with a Broken leg

lufty

Earning My Ears
My significant other surprised me with a trip to Disney for my bday the end of this month. Problem is he broke is leg a few weeks ago... Are we going to have any problems navigating around? He has one of those little scooter things we can bring (not sure how to get on the plane!) so is mobile at least. But cant' do steps and such. I have noticed in past trips, people in wheel chairs etc, that go through the handicap line. Not sure if we qualify for that though or if you need anything special to do so? He is supposed to have a walking cast by the time we go, but he won't be able to walk much I'm sure, so scooter will be needed.
Any tips with airlines also? :) Never had to deal with this before so all new to me !

Have you considered renting an ECV? Even with the scooter he will probably be doing a ton more walking then he is use to and could cause some major strain on the good leg.

Besides that you should be fine. Most rides he'd just take the scooter through and after loading the cast member will move it to the exit. On other rides where the queue isn't accessible they'll direct you where to go. Sometimes you would receive a wheelchair return ticket where you come back to the exit or FP line after the amount of time the standard wait is. There are only a few of those rides at WDW though. Since he can transfer he should be good on all rights.

How long is his cast? Is it a full leg cast? That would be a problem on the plane
I agree with renting a scooter from an off site vendor. Check the disABILITIES thread for a list of vendors.
Good Luck

Thought about the ECV.... Still thinking about that one. He is kinda embarassed to have to need one of those since he seems to think only the elderly use them. Men :) Guessing he will be wanting one though when foot gets sore!

I also recommend you rent a scooter and have it delivered to the resort your staying at. cheaper and you'll have it all over property and not just inside the parks (if they didn't run out). see disabiliies forum as previously recommended..

depending on the cast and ability to move his knee, it might impact some rides but disney is very accommodating if they can be. check with the airline to make sure his situation doens't require anything special to fly down.

Thought about the ECV.... Still thinking about that one. He is kinda embarassed to have to need one of those since he seems to think only the elderly use them. Men :) Guessing he will be wanting one though when foot gets sore!

if you just walk around the resort for pool, food, getting on/off the bus and then 1 to 1/2 loops around a theme park your going to do about 6-7 miles of walking.. if you do more than that (you probably will) your doing at least 10 miles a day on your feet, which doesn't count for all the standing in lines...

It's embarassing at first but then it gets fun and you miss it.. disney is not going grocery shopping, it's serious amounts of walking. I've had a situation recently that I needed to use one and I really miss it. There is some perks like the rides with a handicap entrance (some bypass the line like small world), special locations to watch parades and shows from. he just needs to leave his ego at home and realize they are to help mobility and he needs the help right now.. Not using one and he might find himself in a bad situation and always need one..

1 My significant other surprised me with a trip to Disney for my bday the end of this month. Problem is he broke is leg a few weeks ago...

2 Are we going to have any problems navigating around?

3 He has one of those little scooter things we can bring (not sure how to get on the plane!) so is mobile at least. But cant' do steps and such.

4 I have noticed in past trips, people in wheel chairs etc, that go through the handicap line. Not sure if we qualify for that though or if you need anything special to do so?
5 He is supposed to have a walking cast by the time we go, but he won't be able to walk much I'm sure, so scooter will be needed.
Any tips with airlines also? :) Never had to deal with this before so all new to me !

1 I am sorry this happened to you. I hope you heal quickly and fully.

most lines at disney are ECV wheel chair accessable.

2 no not at all. here is what disney says about mobility disabilities and how to get on rides

"Services for Guests with Mobility Disabilities
Attraction and transportation access help Guests with mobility disabilities enjoy as carefree a visit as possible.
Attraction Access Categories
Walt Disney World attractions offer access for Guests with mobility disabilities in the following categories:

• May Remain in Wheelchair/ECV
  • Must Be Ambulatory
  • Must Transfer from Wheelchair/ECV
  • Must Transfer to Wheelchair
  • Must Transfer to Wheelchair, Then to Ride Vehicle

May Remain in Wheelchair/ECV

These attractions allow Guests to remain in their wheelchair or Electric Conveyance Vehicle (ECV) during the experience.

Magic Kingdom Park

Epcot

Disney’s Hollywood Studios

Disney’s Animal Kingdom Park

Disney’s Blizzard Beach Water Park

Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Water Park

Must Be Ambulatory

These attractions require Guests to walk by themselves or be assisted by members of their party.

Magic Kingdom Park

Disney’s Blizzard Beach Water Park

Must Transfer from Wheelchair/ECV

These attractions require Guests to transfer from their wheelchair or ECV—by themselves or with assistance from their party—to a ride vehicle.

Magic Kingdom Park

Epcot

Blizzard Beach

Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Park

Must Transfer to Wheelchair

Guests must transfer to a wheelchair provided at the attraction if their wheelchair or mobility device exceeds the standard overall dimensions of 30" by 48".

Magic Kingdom Park

Epcot

Disney’s Blizzard Beach Park

Must Transfer to Wheelchair, Then to Ride Vehicle

These attractions require Guests to transfer to an available wheelchair at the attraction, then to transfer from the wheelchair to the ride vehicle.

Magic Kingdom Park

Epcot

and this is about getting around disney word

"Wheelchair and ECV Accessibility with Walt Disney World Transportation
Most of the transportation systems at the Walt Disney World Resort are accessible to Guests with disabilities.
All bus routes are serviced by buses equipped to accommodate various types of wheelchairs within the following guidelines:

• The mobility device must fit the lift without being forced. Some motorized chairs and ECVs are too wide or too long for the bus lift. The standard lift size is 30” x 48”.
  • The mobility device must be securely fastened in the onboard restraints.
  • It is recommended that Guests using a scooter transfer to a bus seat while onboard.
Watercraft Access

Watercraft access varies depending on the type of watercraft and the existing water levels and conditions. Please contact a Disney Cast Member at the watercraft dock for information and assistance.

Monorail Access

Guests may access the Walt Disney World monorail system by using the elevators or ramps at the Transportation and Ticket Center, Magic Kingdom park, Epcot, Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, Disney's Polynesian Village Resort, and Disney's Contemporary Resort.

Disney's Magical Express Access

Disney's Magical Express motorcoaches accommodate most Guests in standard-size wheelchairs and ECVs. Please indicate if you will require a wheelchair lift to board the motorcoach when you book your Disney’s Magical Express reservation.

Wheelchair and ECV Rental
Wheelchairs and Electric Conveyance Vehicles (ECVs) are available to rent throughout Walt Disney World Resort.

Parking for Guests with Mobility Disabilities
Parking for Guests with disabilities is available throughout Walt Disney World Resort. A valid disability parking permit is required. "

3, this is good that he as an scooter as pushing someone in a wheel chair will be trying

4 since the majority of lines you can take your ECV or wheel chair in there is no need for handicap lines ( where you are there take a look at how many people are in ECV wheel chair them imagine how long the handicap lines would be if they all had to use them.

5 I am glade he will be in a walking cast as this should name it easer for him to get in and out of rides.

I would post this on the disability bard as they will be able to give you ideas of what to do with your scooter when flying.

First, sorry to hear that you guys are in that situation, though glad to hear you're heading to WDW.

Tell him to not be embarrassed. What's to be embarrassed about? He broke his leg. I'm a guy and I tend to be the same way...I had hip surgery in 2014 and was much more mobile than I should have been because I'm stubborn (though I did obey doctors orders and didn't put any weight on it until I was told I can). At the same time, why torture yourself or let him torture himself. Use an ECV or wheelchair. WDW is so big, he'll be glad he did. I remember trying to go to an auto show in a convention center on crutches after my surgery. I'm a very fit guy, and I was exhausted after just a few hours...I'd have been happy to have a wheelchair in hindsight (I refused it, like a typical guy).

Tell him to "man up" and use an ECV. Tell him he can race it :car:

I'm going to try and convince him to get one. He has never been there, don't think he really understands how much walking there is!! Not sure how to explain it to him either. Thinking after the first day, he will be wanting to rent one!

Pull up some maps. I'm sure there's one somewhere that will show just how big the place really is. It's a good workout even when you have two good wheels.

HE NEEDS TO GET THE ECV!!!

Sure glad I found this post! We're headed out next week and our daughter is in a cast. THANKFULLY she just came out of the full leg cast last week so she can now bend her knee! Per the Doc's orders (She said Disney is WAY too much walking for the break she sustained) - She'll be in a wheelchair, but can transfer out. There is a ton of great info here.

Does anyone know if there are rides they "won't let her" ride due to having a cast? TIA!

We didnt' have any problems, but check the above that they posted with ride info. We also didn't do the younger kids rides though... The knee scooter he had worked great. Was easy to get around. He did have to walk short distances to get on some rides without the scooter. Nothing real far. Was quite warm the days we were there and one day his knee got a little chafed, but put some moleskin on it and away we went! They do a great job with people with a disability.

Does anyone know if there are rides they "won't let her" ride due to having a cast?

Nothing specifically. As long as the cast allows her to sit properly in the ride vehicle and use the restraints, she should be fine. Glad to hear the full-leg cast is removed, that likely would have been very limiting.

Enjoy your vacation!

My sister broke her ankle last year before our trip. She was completely non weight bearing for 12 weeks! We still had a great trip. She talked to her orthopedist and discussed what attractions she would have to avoid. Disney was great about directing us through lines. Just see the cast member at beginning of line. We brought wheelchair with us since it was far easier/faster to navigate than of we had rented ecv and she was not comfortable with knee scooter. As for airline, give them all call and let them know situation. We flew Southwest, they just told us to go to gate agent as chair needed gate checked and we boarded with medical preboarding. I suspect if you are bringing knee scooter will need to gate check it as well. Had to wait until most of plane deplaned before they would get her chair for us and able to get off. Also allow extra time for security screening at airport. She was not able to put both legs on ground for the scanner, so needed manual screening. It added about 15-20 min each way.

Both my husband and I toured Disney World in manual wheelchairs with the other pushing the chair (needless to say, it wasn't on the same trip). Obviously, both were one time instances and we had walked and have walked before and after those two trips. And neither one of us was over the age of 50 either time. No one looks at you like you are the scum of the earth just because you are in a wheelchair and since neither my husband nor I was "old" or had a cast or anything (his was gout (now controlled), mine a weird vitamin thing that landed me in the hospital for a week (now controlled)), we looked perfectly "normal". Most queues are wheelchair accessible so both of you will just be together during the lines. You might be asked to go to another line near the end of the queue but that will just be to make sure the EVC or wheelchair can be properly stowed. If he can transfer from the ECV/wheelchair to a ride vehicle, he will more than likely just be like anyone else on the attraction. And so will you. The only attraction I can think of where that might not be the case is the Safari at Animal Kingdom. We did that with my late father who was just about confined to a wheelchair for the last years of his life but could transfer. We all went to a separate line and I thought it would take forever. Nope - everyone was treated with a smile, asked about limitations and we had a great time.

I think your husband's Y chromosome needs to take a step back and he can stop think about what other people think.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter