Nassau

NJBILL

Always Keep An Eye To The Sky
I keep hearing bad things about Nassau i.e. pushy vendors,beggars,safety issues. I have 3 small children and wanted to go into the Starw Market and then on the beach by the ship. Do not really want to do excursions.There is a beach by the ship right?
Appreciate your opinions:confused:

I'm not so sure the Straw Market is there any longer. Didn't it burn down about a year ago? They talked about having elsewhere till they rebuild by the docks, but I don't know if that happened.

We, personally, did NOT like Nassau. I don't know of any beach that's nearby the cruise docks. Many people go to Paradise Island and spend the day at a hotel there. The one time we were in Nassau (and the last, I promise you) was at the Straw Market and took a van tour of the area which was a complete waste of time and they were constantly asking for tips.

Hopefully, someone else will have more up to date info for you.

If Nassau is ever on our itinerary again, we plan to stay on the ship.

Personally I wouldn't take the kids to the straw market. It is very crowded and very cramped. Lots of haggeling as well. Not a kid friendly area in my opinion.

I don't know of any beaches real close to the ship.

What we have done the last two times is to take a cab over to Atltantis and walk through the DIG (their aquarium there). Adults are $25, kids a little less. If you want the full full of Atlantis (being able to use the pools, beach and slides) you need to book a day room there or at the Comfort Inn across the street.

Many people like to stay on the ship when the pools are less crowded. Save the beach time for Castaway Cay - that's the best beach!

i agree - we went into nassau in 1988 on our first cruise and then tried w/the kids in 1998 - and we will never go back - my sister insisted that she wanted to see the shops and heard that she could get liquor there - but she found out later on that the prices on the ship were just as good for name brand (only brands that she didn't know were cheaper on the island & she didn't want to risk not getting something okay) and as for the straw market - it's worse than a garage sale - it really scared the kids - the kids liked staying on the ship and getting quality time - especially on the short cruises - when it's not crowded - hope you have a good time - kiddisney

I think staying on the ship would be a much better choice than Nassau with three children.

Just my two cents!

Was there last month and I highly recommend NOT bringing your children on the streets by the ship. (To get to the new straw market location you have some city blocks to walk) I thought that the people walking around were creepy and I have lived in downtown US cities...I was alone and perhaps encouraged pan handlers and people asking about cabs but there were "interesting" people holding signs commenting on people from the US.
Now let me add that I was looking for a watch and negotiated a good deal so it was worth it but I am glad my three kids were in the clubs.
Barbara

I would not bring small children to the straw market, it is really just a big junk store and the aisles are so cluttered that you can not even push a stroller down them. Every aisle has the same thing in it too so if you go down one you can skip all the rest!
Stay on the ship or leave your kids in the kids club and go to the straw market yourselves.

We just went on our first cruise a few weeks ago with our 2 small boys. We got off the ship in Nassau and didn't know where we were going. We thought we could walk right to the beach not the case. We ended up walking a few blocks and going through a flea market type of place where people had their young kids chasing you down trying to get you to buy junk. We found our way back to the ship and my husband insisted on going to the beach so we were told to take a cab. That cab ride was a strange ride. I don't think they have any traffic rules and if they do they don't follow them. A cop on a motorcycle cut off our cab driver and she laid on the horn and started yelling at the cop. The beach was crowed with people trying to get you to buy all sorts of things. We stayed for less than an hour and went back to the ship. When we go back I won't waste my time getting off the ship in Nassau. I think disney should go to Castaway Cay for 2 days:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter