Name Art at Disneyland?

deejdigsdis

DIS Veteran
The most recent thread I found on this is 4-ish years old, so the info might be outdated.

Do they still do this by Matterhorn?

Can you incorporate any characters? Or just a select few?

Cost...is it by letter?

Is the artwork an odd size...best to frame there or easy to find a frame elsewhere?

I would love to see any pictures as well. I never really paid attention to the name art place but I am thinking I might like to pick up something for my 3 year old daughter.

Thanks!

I saw the one by the Matterhorn when we were there last fall but sorry no idea on the costs.

We were given one as a gift for DD when she was little and we still love it! Ours looks more like the ones I saw at DTD but I never asked where they had it done specifically.

I don't know if the same company still runs the name art booths, but it used to be a studio called Kaman's. They've got an online presence, so you can probably inquire with them about whether they're still the concessionaire at Disneyland and if so, some of the info you're looking for.

We chose to have ours mounted there (price was reasonable vs custom framing but I can’t remember how much now) and my husband’s was definitely cheaper than mine (4 letters vs 7 letters) but I again cannot remember exact pricing. We were able to give them our character choices and they chose who was each letter I believe. I’ll also say I had to hand carry mine home as it didn’t fit even in my GIANT suitcase and my name has mostly narrow letters. My husband’s fit fine in his suitcase. I can post a picture later of ours if you’re interested.

We chose to have ours mounted there (price was reasonable vs custom framing but I can’t remember how much now) and my husband’s was definitely cheaper than mine (4 letters vs 7 letters) but I again cannot remember exact pricing. We were able to give them our character choices and they chose who was each letter I believe. I’ll also say I had to hand carry mine home as it didn’t fit even in my GIANT suitcase and my name has mostly narrow letters. My husband’s fit fine in his suitcase. I can post a picture later of ours if you’re interested.

Thanks for the info. I would love to see a picture!

I haven’t seen the one by Matterhorn for awhile but definitely saw the one in DTD this past Saturday! I’ve always loved the look of this art!

We had it framed at the park as well. I want to say it was around $80 for the artwork and frame. They will let you know what characters they can do. In our case, we are a serious princess family, so each letter has a princess. It's been 6 years now, so I don't remember them all. I think Belle, Cinderella, Snow White, Ariel, Jasmine... And I'm forgetting one. We did each person's favorite princess, then added the last one randomly.

GET THE FRAME when you get one!
Makes it far easier to get home. Plus it keeps the glitter contained.

The frame isn't fancy but it is fine.
I have done it both ways. For the one's that I didn't get a frame with the art was expensive to have done at home.
I went to Michael's with a coupon and the cost of Custom Frame and Matting was VERY EXPENSIVE!

GET THE FRAME when you get one!
Makes it far easier to get home. Plus it keeps the glitter contained.

The frame isn't fancy but it is fine.
I have done it both ways. For the one's that I didn't get a frame with the art was expensive to have done at home.
I went to Michael's with a coupon and the cost of Custom Frame and Matting was VERY EXPENSIVE!

Thank you. That's what I had read in a thread from several years ago. Even with sales/coupons it was still more expensive to have it custom-framed at Michael's. So I assume the art is an odd size and you can't just pick up a frame off the shelf at the craft store?

Thank you. That's what I had read in a thread from several years ago. Even with sales/coupons it was still more expensive to have it custom-framed at Michael's. So I assume the art is an odd size and you can't just pick up a frame off the shelf at the craft store?

Yes, the size is non-standard (and variable depending on how many letters). That said, we got around this by purchasing a "floating frame" (two pieces of glass that you sandwich the art between. Available with and without a wood frame around the whole thing- photo below) rather than expensive custom framing.
IMG-9805.jpg

This one was done probably about 8 years ago at the kiosk in DTD across from World of Disney.

My parents did one with the first letters of each grandchild's name as a character and the rest calligraphy (so 3 character letters at the time.) There was a choice of most of the princesses and then like 10 (?) male characters and some animals. I want to say it was $125? framed? And then we had baby #4 who happened to have the same first letter as another kid and it was like $8 to add his name. The stand was across from the Matterhorn, this was in November.

Yes, the size is non-standard (and variable depending on how many letters). That said, we got around this by purchasing a "floating frame" (two pieces of glass that you sandwich the art between. Available with and without a wood frame around the whole thing- photo below) rather than expensive custom framing.
IMG-9805.jpg

This one was done probably about 8 years ago at the kiosk in DTD across from World of Disney.

That looks nice, thanks for the tip!

My sister had one done for her granddaughter. She had it mounted and framed. The cost was per letter and there were extra add-ons, like pixie dust-looking things, flourishes, etc. Granddaughter is a huge Ariel fan so that, of course, was the first letter. There weren't any other characters from Little Mermaid so I think my sister added a Flounder or something. Anyway, it turned out really cute but it wasn't cheap. She debated about bringing it home rolled up or having it mounted and framed there. We flew so it was kind of awkward to bring home in carry-on but it worked out ok framed. If you plan to frame it yourself, maybe bring a packing tube to put it in.

The two kiosks at the time we went (last Dec) were located by the Matterhorn (towards the Nemo lagoon) and in DTD near WoD. Both are run by the same company. My advice is to watch the artists working, as each artist has a unique style. Find one you like and have them do your picture. My sister didn't care for the way Ariel turned out on the first one (she looked really fat, LOL) so she asked the artist who did it if she could give Ariel a waist and she tried really hard but just couldn't get it right, so my sister had it redone at the other kiosk. No hard feelings; the first artist was very good but she admitted that Ariel wasn't her specialty. The guy at the other kiosk had a little trouble, too--I think it was because the name letter made it a little harder to make her look right. But he added a bunch of little touches that were very cool (bubbles, flourishes, a little Flounder). Don't be afraid to be somewhat specific about the look you want; sometimes they have a little more of an issue maybe if the letter doesn't lend itself as easily to the character.

My sister had one done for her granddaughter. She had it mounted and framed. The cost was per letter and there were extra add-ons, like pixie dust-looking things, flourishes, etc. Granddaughter is a huge Ariel fan so that, of course, was the first letter. There weren't any other characters from Little Mermaid so I think my sister added a Flounder or something. Anyway, it turned out really cute but it wasn't cheap. She debated about bringing it home rolled up or having it mounted and framed there. We flew so it was kind of awkward to bring home in carry-on but it worked out ok framed. If you plan to frame it yourself, maybe bring a packing tube to put it in.

The two kiosks at the time we went (last Dec) were located by the Matterhorn (towards the Nemo lagoon) and in DTD near WoD. Both are run by the same company. My advice is to watch the artists working, as each artist has a unique style. Find one you like and have them do your picture. My sister didn't care for the way Ariel turned out on the first one (she looked really fat, LOL) so she asked the artist who did it if she could give Ariel a waist and she tried really hard but just couldn't get it right, so my sister had it redone at the other kiosk. No hard feelings; the first artist was very good but she admitted that Ariel wasn't her specialty. The guy at the other kiosk had a little trouble, too--I think it was because the name letter made it a little harder to make her look right. But he added a bunch of little touches that were very cool (bubbles, flourishes, a little Flounder). Don't be afraid to be somewhat specific about the look you want; sometimes they have a little more of an issue maybe if the letter doesn't lend itself as easily to the character.

Thank you for all the tips. That's a great idea to watch the artist first. I wouldn't have thought of that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter