Nags Head and The Outerbanks NC

kimmikayb

You're never too old to be young
Can anyone give me any inside info? Good places to go? Good places to eat? We just rented a house there for a week in August.

Mama Kwan's for lunch...........Goombays , Lucky 12 Tavern.... and the rest of the Outer Banks are enjoyed best by doing nothing..... though they have the typical go karts, mini golf etc if you like that stuff. Great family beach vacation area

I don't know anything about who is going or if there are kids involved.

We like to eat at Quagmire's and Run Down Cafe but there are many. many restaurants to chose from. These are both "kid friendly." Also in Wachese there is a restaurant right on the dock, I can't remember the name, with good seafood.

Duck is a cute little village north on the Outer Banks with shops and restuarants. We stay up that way in Southern Shores every summer.

We always like to go to Jockey's Ridge State Park at sunset to climb to the top. Don't try going midday as it is too hot. A drive down to the Cape Hatteras Light House and beach there is fun too.

There is so much to do there. PM me if you have any specific questions.

It's a girls week....me, my sister, mom, 2 aunts, 2 cousins and a friend. No kids this time (although I'm feeling a little guilty about that). Mainly we'll do nothing on the beach. Our back door practically touches the ocean. But I'm thinking of parasailing, maybe a surf lesson. I know we'd all enjoy The Lost Colony play. Really looking for good places to eat and maybe a place to have a beer or two.

This girls week really re-charges us. We laugh so hard. This is the first time we've all rented a house together tho.

Take a day and head to Ocracoke.

I can't tell you about any of the other Islands, but I can tell you everything about Ocrocoke. Right now my favorite restaurant is Flying Melon. Of course my cousin is partial owner so we eat there a lot when on the Island. We have always liked back porch too.

It has changed a lot in the past 15 years, but it still is different then any other place. My grandmother was born there (a very long time ago.)

What town are you staying in? Corolla, Kill Devil Hills or futher south in Hatteras?

For example, Okracoke is a long drive from Corolla, plus you have to board a ferry.

My folks love the Outer Banks --

We always make sure to go to an all-you-can eat seafood place when we're down there. Calolinas and Awful Arthurs are the names of two near Nags Head. Stuff yourself with crab legs.

The Pirate Cove (I think that's the name) is a restaurant in the marina on Manteo Island just as you cross the bridge. You can sit on the deck and eat steamed clams and drink Margaritas.

If you catch a little rain the Aquarium on Manteo is pretty cool.

On nice days, if you need a break from the beach the Manteo waterfront has some nice shops and there's an outlet mall nearby as well.

We just rented a house for a week too so I am subscribing. We are staying in Duck the 4th of July week. We got an awesome house with a pool, hot tub, theater, outdoor kitchen, a game room and an elevator! We just might not leave the house with all that:goodvibes

I had a thread a few weeks ago and someone mentioned this:

Duck is one of my favorite vacation spots. The Red Sky restaurant in Duck is our favorite restaurant on the Outer Banks. Not a fancy restaurant, but incredible food. For pizza, if you like a thin crust, I would definitely recommend the Tomato Patch. It is in the Food Lion shopping center past Sanderling. If you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle pack a picnic lunch and head out to the area past Corolla. Everytime we have been there we have seen many wild ponies, and they are really close. There used to be ATV tours there, but I believe they were stopped. They were alot of fun. There are so many lighthouses to visit, especially Hatteras. I am sure that you will have a wonderful time. I think that we are going to the Sanderling Inn in August for a long weekend.

I am heading to Frisco, near Hatteras in three weeks. I love it there and it recharges my soul. If you go to Ocracoke go to the Pelican during happy hour for seven cent shrimp that are yum. Go to Bubba's for barbeque
DisneyPHD tell me some things you like on Ocracoke. Usually I'm with all my sons and their friends, no dh. This time he's going so we'll be going out more.
Again I love this place. If you are on the water to me some of the best things are to pick up some seafood and adult beverages. Grill the seafood, sip the beverages on your deck with good music playing. Light a beach bonfire and toast marshmallows. It's the simplicity that makes me love it so much. I've been takng my sons there for five years. I plan on taking my grands if that should happen also.

I am heading to Frisco, near Hatteras in three weeks. I love it there and it recharges my soul. If you go to Ocracoke go to the Pelican during happy hour for seven cent shrimp that are yum. Go to Bubba's for barbeque
DisneyPHD tell me some things you like on Ocracoke. Usually I'm with all my sons and their friends, no dh. This time he's going so we'll be going out more.
Again I love this place. If you are on the water to me some of the best things are to pick up some seafood and adult beverages. Grill the seafood, sip the beverages on your deck with good music playing. Light a beach bonfire and toast marshmallows. It's the simplicity that makes me love it so much. I've been takng my sons there for five years. I plan on taking my grands if that should happen also.

You hit the nail on the head there. :thumbsup2

This post has taken on a life of it's own. :laughing: Ocracoke through Disney PhD's eyes. ;)

There is a bed and breakfast right on Sliver Lake (the bay) before the light house. The Castle Bed and Breakfast (ok so it is anything but small). It used to be my grandfathers house (he died 30 years ago, it was empty and falling apart for years.) The owners have fixed it up great, I love to visit there (but it has sentimental reasons for me.) The cottage across the street is where we used to stay growing up (it was the family cottage and we took turns using it.) It is much nicer now, the current owners have fixed it up very nice.

Almost every restaurant is good, they have to be or they just don't make it. Wonderful seafood. DH likes Pony Island Inn restaurant for good not $$ food. Captain Bens is good but the princes are higher. The cost of living is high on the Island, it is hard to get things in. There are some fun shops too. My favorite is Village Craftsman on Howard st. (a small dirt road right in middle of town.) A distant cousin on my grandmother's side runs it. (Howard is an old family name for the Island, my Great Grandmother was one.) Villeage Craftsman is full of great hand made things. Howard st. in and of it's self is a fun one to walk down, wear bug spray. My Aunts house is off this street too, it is the other place we used to stay growing up.

The local community puts on lots of events during the summer too. Plays, and things like that. There is a bookshop near the school and a little Thai place that is very nice next to it.

Going to Ocracoke is really all about who you are with, going to the beach and getting away. That is what you have with you. Bring games and things to do together. It is family time for us. It is great to have a bike, but be careful the more congested parts of town can get dangerous as too many cars in a place not made for that many cars gets crazy. You can rent bikes too.

Oh and no one can miss Howard's Pub, you haven't been to Ocraocke if you don't stop in. I wonder if Molasses creek still plays??? It was 2005 the last time we went. I miss it, but we often go with family and my father (who spent his summers there as a child) is very sick so he can't make the trip. I have been with out him in the past, but it isn't the same when he isn't there. We now normally rent a big cottage and all stay there. Last time we stayed at the sand dollar motel. (everyone had there own room, we had most of the motel rented out.) It is a little whole in the wall really, but fun and has a nice small pool the kids loved. If you want a motel there are number of them. Blackbeards is nice and Island Inn. I used to be there was no pools on the Island. Around mid 1980's Island Inn got a pool (the 1st one) since my father was friends with the owner he used to let us swim there. It was always strange for us, we never swam in a pool there before. There is a cute coffee shop bookstore now too.

Here are some websites.

Rentals
http://www.ocracokeislandrealty.com/index.htm

Main website

http://www.ocracokeisland.com/

Fun things we have done other then beach and shopping. Parasailing. (very cool) Deep sea fishing (DH likes it more then me.) Sunset cruise on a schooner sail boat. Fireworks on 4th July (with local parade too.) Surfing is great and you can drive cars out on the beach if they are 4 by 4s. (My dad did this once with a mini van, I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT.) There is a no car, and car place on the beach. Fishing on the beach is popular too. You can ride out to the point too, and that is really neat. The main beach now has restrooms and outdoor showers for day trippers. That is nice (and new in the past 5 years.) The bugs are bad, bring bug spray. They have these green eyed flies that bite and they are bad. DH didn't believe me at 1st, thought made them up. He knows better now.

If you are looking for excitement and big towns, Ocracoke isn't it. If you are looking for a fun small town Island full of charm, no chain places at all, lots of neat small shops and great places to eat, no street lights even and a great beach, then visit. There isn't any place like it anymore (that I have found.) Most locals are fun, friendly and a little bit quirky. I love hearing my dads stories about the place when he was growing up. :goodvibes

Bring what you need with you. It can be hard to find on the Island. ;)

Sorry, I got carried away. I miss the place. Not sure if we are going this summer, but it isn't looking like it. Next summer for sure, I can't stay away too long. It is in my blood. :rolleyes1

You hit the nail on the head there. :thumbsup2

This post has taken on a life of it's own. :laughing: Ocracoke through Disney PhD's eyes. ;)

There is a bed and breakfast right on Sliver Lake (the bay) before the light house. The Castle Bed and Breakfast (ok so it is anything but small). It used to be my grandfathers house (he died 30 years ago, it was empty and falling apart for years.) The owners have fixed it up great, I love to visit there (but it has sentimental reasons for me.) The cottage across the street is where we used to stay growing up (it was the family cottage and we took turns using it.) It is much nicer now, the current owners have fixed it up very nice.

Almost every restaurant is good, they have to be or they just don't make it. Wonderful seafood. DH likes Pony Island Inn restaurant for good not $$ food. Captain Bens is good but the princes are higher. The cost of living is high on the Island, it is hard to get things in. There are some fun shops too. My favorite is Village Craftsman on Howard st. (a small dirt road right in middle of town.) A distant cousin on my grandmother's side runs it. (Howard is an old family name for the Island, my Great Grandmother was one.) Villeage Craftsman is full of great hand made things. Howard st. in and of it's self is a fun one to walk down, wear bug spray. My Aunts house is off this street too, it is the other place we used to stay growing up.

The local community puts on lots of events during the summer too. Plays, and things like that. There is a bookshop near the school and a little Thai place that is very nice next to it.

Going to Ocracoke is really all about who you are with, going to the beach and getting away. That is what you have with you. Bring games and things to do together. It is family time for us. It is great to have a bike, but be careful the more congested parts of town can get dangerous as too many cars in a place not made for that many cars gets crazy. You can rent bikes too.

Oh and no one can miss Howard's Pub, you haven't been to Ocraocke if you don't stop in. I wonder if Molasses creek still plays??? It was 2005 the last time we went. I miss it, but we often go with family and my father (who spent his summers there as a child) is very sick so he can't make the trip. I have been with out him in the past, but it isn't the same when he isn't there. We now normally rent a big cottage and all stay there. Last time we stayed at the sand dollar motel. (everyone had there own room, we had most of the motel rented out.) It is a little whole in the wall really, but fun and has a nice small pool the kids loved. If you want a motel there are number of them. Blackbeards is nice and Island Inn. I used to be there was no pools on the Island. Around mid 1980's Island Inn got a pool (the 1st one) since my father was friends with the owner he used to let us swim there. It was always strange for us, we never swam in a pool there before. There is a cute coffee shop bookstore now too.

Here are some websites.

Rentals
http://www.ocracokeislandrealty.com/index.htm

Main website

http://www.ocracokeisland.com/

Fun things we have done other then beach and shopping. Parasailing. (very cool) Deep sea fishing (DH likes it more then me.) Sunset cruise on a schooner sail boat. Fireworks on 4th July (with local parade too.) Surfing is great and you can drive cars out on the beach if they are 4 by 4s. (My dad did this once with a mini van, I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT.) There is a no car, and car place on the beach. Fishing on the beach is popular too. You can ride out to the point too, and that is really neat. The main beach now has restrooms and outdoor showers for day trippers. That is nice (and new in the past 5 years.) The bugs are bad, bring bug spray. They have these green eyed flies that bite and they are bad. DH didn't believe me at 1st, thought made them up. He knows better now.

If you are looking for excitement and big towns, Ocracoke isn't it. If you are looking for a fun small town Island full of charm, no chain places at all, lots of neat small shops and great places to eat, no street lights even and a great beach, then visit. There isn't any place like it anymore (that I have found.) Most locals are fun, friendly and a little bit quirky. I love hearing my dads stories about the place when he was growing up. :goodvibes

Bring what you need with you. It can be hard to find on the Island. ;)

Sorry, I got carried away. I miss the place. Not sure if we are going this summer, but it isn't looking like it. Next summer for sure, I can't stay away too long. It is in my blood. :rolleyes1

I liked reading your post. Wish I was there now. I went there for a day in 2004, and the car traffic was horrendous. I can't imagine riding a bike on Okracoke.

Despite the biting flies (one year there weren't any), I think the beach at Okracoke is the best on the Outer Banks. You can take a walk away from the parking area and have the place all to yourself. It's very relaxing. My daughter was 5 at the time, and the tides were such that there were little tidal pools everywhere, and she had such a great time splashing around them.

I can't remember the place we at, but it's halfway outside by the marina. Kind of a bar and grill. Nothing special about the food, but I felt the prices were reasonable and liked the views around Silver Lake.

There was a hotel on the main drag overlooking Silver Lake, and each balcony had a hammock. Looked so warm and inviting.

We love relaxing on the beach!!!! We have also enjoyed the seafood at Jimmy's Seafood Buffet. Rent a jeep or 2 and drive out on the beach in Corolla and try to see the wild horses.

I liked reading your post. Wish I was there now. I went there for a day in 2004, and the car traffic was horrendous. I can't imagine riding a bike on Okracoke.

Despite the biting flies (one year there weren't any), I think the beach at Okracoke is the best on the Outer Banks. You can take a walk away from the parking area and have the place all to yourself. It's very relaxing. My daughter was 5 at the time, and the tides were such that there were little tidal pools everywhere, and she had such a great time splashing around them.

I can't remember the place we at, but it's halfway outside by the marina. Kind of a bar and grill. Nothing special about the food, but I felt the prices were reasonable and liked the views around Silver Lake.

There was a hotel on the main drag overlooking Silver Lake, and each balcony had a hammock. Looked so warm and inviting.

Back roads for the bike. :thumbsup2 I and don't even think of biking to the beach. I see people doing it and man do they look hot and uncomfortable (and I LOVE biking.) :headache:

I think it was Jolly Rogers that you ate at. The resort with hammocks is on the newer side. It is right in front of my Aunts house (used to be my great Uncles, and my father had a share of it before he sold his out to Aunt.) She was so mad when it went up. It blocked her view (her house has a widows walk and it was one the older houses, and at one point the tallest.) Right next to my Aunt was a house that a good friend of mine lived in. They moved that house up the main highway when they sold out to the resort. Now they rent beach stuff out of the house. They reuse everything on that Island. Getting supplies isn't easy.

But, yes that resort looks like a nice one. We were never able to stay there because my Aunt hated the owners. I think she got over it (this most of been over 15 years ago, time flies.) Now she doesn't mind because it hides her house from the tourists. You can only see the back of it from Howard St. now.

The big hoopla was when the big brick building went up Anchorage Inn (maybe 1986??) It was really out of place for the whole Island and everyone hated it. They put a "top" on it and it blends in more, besides there has been so much build up since then. My guess it is the safest place in a hurricane though.

I can't believe how much the Island has changed even in the 13 years my DH has been going with us there.

Ocracoke has won a couple of best beach awards. :thumbsup2

Wow!! Thanks everyone! I just checked in for a second and was thrilled to see such good info.

We've rented a house in Nags Head. It's right on the beach, so that will be nice. I can't wait to really dive into all the info you gave me! Thanks again!

Nags Head.

Jockeys Ridge State Park is awesome for sunsets. The sand on the dunes are cool and fun to walk barefoot through. You'll need shoes to get to the dunes form the parking lot, so most people take a daypack with them. They run nature programs there so check online to get a schedule of programs offered. Some programs fill up fast.

If you decide to go Manteo, they have a waterfront (little harbor off the sound) area with a scaled replica of Raleigh's ship and an adjacent park depicting the history of the area. On the waterfront itself, is a small deli called Poor Richards. They serve good food at reasonable prices. There is a small area of picnic tables where you can watch people visit the park. Also there is some shopping. I second the suggestion to visit North Carolina Aquarium on a rainy day. It's on the outskirts of Manteo. A nice German themed micro brewery is in Manteo called the Weeping Radish. Like you said in your original post, Lost Colony is in Manteo too.

I would suggest dining at sunset at a restaurant overlooking the sound. There are so many to choose from. Carolina style barbeque is tempting too, but I didn't like Bubbas too much. Raally the only place I try to visit every time I visit is Sam and Omies. A local place in Nags Head across from Jeanette's Pier (if the pier is still there). Good food and nice service.

In Nags Head there is an outlet mall on the Bypass that is good for shopping, and the Farmer's Daughter is nice too if you like a country theme.

There are also nature programs with Cape Hatteras National Seashore that you can look into and sign up. My favorite one is one they probably don't do anymore, but it was a tour of the National Weather office in Hatteras (about 45 minutes south of Nags Head).

Parts of Nags head and South Nags Head have a bike path (more like a nice sidewalk). It's popular with joggers. I had a hard time rollerblading due to the grains of sand and inclines, but it's perfect for biking. Many would get up at the crack of dawn and run, walk or bike.

We like Hurricane Mo's, they have great She Crab Soup. But don't miss the Lost Colony if it is running during your stay. We like the Duck Deli for lunch, they have a great lunch special. Awful Arthur's is a local fav at the raw and steam bar. Try Clara's over in Manteo, the seafood is very good there. Make sure to go to Kill Devils Dairy and get a custard cone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter