• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Na’vi river worth it?

I will say my kids enjoyed it, and they have not seen Avatar. But they didn’t really want to waste time doing it a second time.

Been going since the AP Previews ....
DS had seen the movie, has the movie and knows the story.
I had not seen the movie, tried but couldn't get too far in.
Was going to force myself but we decided that it would be ...
.... a good comparison if it made a difference or not.

Navi' River is like an art exhibit and some impressive imagineering and use of color.
DS said knowing the movie & story did not help the disjointed ride.
We both felt have some kind of narration coming out of boat to tell a story would help.
Having more than the one Navi would help.
Being longer would help.
But seeing the movie didn't help.

Both loved FoP.
Both felt that no knowledge of the story mattered.
It was just a beautiful fantasy land to soar over.
Could easily change this to another movie or theme.

Watch if you want but from one who did and one who didn't - was not needed.

BUT I wouldn't wait long for Navi. We've done it FP+ and end of day when walk on.

Last edited:
We waited 3 hours for what amounted to a less than 10
minutes ride. Never again.

Close to park closing, the wait is very short, no matter what the posted wait time is. And it's really cool to do the ride as the last thing of the night. I think, anyway. I really like NRJ and liked it even without having seen Avatar.

As most have said, it's ok if the wait is short. It's a Disney indoor boat ride like Pirates, Small World, or Frozen... if people like the theme they like the ride, if not then probably not.
Navi focuses on the plants and animals of Avatar to give the feel of being in the jungle. It's not a MUST do, but rather a Why Not ? ride.

This is mostly repeat info/opinion, but unless you can get on at less than a 30 minute wait, I would say it's worth it. The only thing that's worth seeing on that ride is the shaman animatronic; the ride is incredibly short. We're skipping it on our upcoming trip unless we luck out with a short wait time.

I think it’s beautiful and relaxing whether you’ve seen the movie or not. As others have said though, wouldn’t wait too long for it. In November we Rooe dropped it because we had a FP for FoP, and it worked out great.

The first time I rode it I hadn't seen Avatar and loved it. I'm one of the few people who actually like it better than FOP. Having said that, I wouldn't wait longer than maybe 20 min. for it if I didn't have a FP but I also wouldn't wait that long for FOP and when I travel solo, I don't even ride FOP.

Um, I'm on the fence. As an adult, probably not. My kids had not seen the movie, but they enjoyed the ride for the lights and sights. They would like to ride it again; but while I have seen the movie and appreciated the visual effect of the ride, I'm not in a rush to FP that over something else. If we get a FP, great. If not, I'm not sure I'd feel strongly that we need to ride it. Of course, having already ridden it once, I can feel more free to skip it than someone else might (some people want to see everything just because they want to do it all). I may have a different opinion if I hadn't ridden it yet at all.

I would say ride it only if the line is short or you have a fastpass. We did it last week and think it's a one and done ride. People are comparing it to Pirates, but the boat is the only thing that's the same - there's no drop and Pirates is longer. It's pretty and the colors are cool, but I'm so glad we didn't wait in line for it.

If you have a FP or a very short wait in standby, it is worth it. Amazing special effects, but it is short and really no story to it. Would I wait 60 minutes, no, 30 minutes is a toss up. Seeing the lines of 75 minutes and longer, others obviously disagree.

Doesn't matter if you haven't seen Avatar - actually if you haven't seen Avatar I would recommend doing Navi River Journey FIRST as I think it helps to set the stage for all of Pandora and Flight of Passage. No, it's not an exciting ride but I think it is beautiful and relaxing.

We used a FP and would never wait in a long line for this attraction. I agree that the ride is beautiful, relaxing but surprisingly short.

It was a nice, dark, pretty ride. I wouldn't wait in line longer than 45 minutes for any ride. The wait at EMH would have been 30 minutes, but it was down at park opening. We stood in line for it while we waited for our party members that were riding FOP at the time. It didn't open while we were in line. We had a FP for 8:00 p.m. & walked right on. We were the last boat loaded and it was down again when our ride ended. I don't know if it opened up again that night or not.

What about watching the movie makes this ride better? We waited about an hour to ride it. While it was visually pretty, it just seemed pretty much like a bunch of plants and I can't imagine what about watching the movie would make it that much better of a ride??

If there's a 15 minute wait, then yeah do it. However, I would not waste a fast pass or stand on a huge line for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter