Myrtle Beach Vacation Ideas?

DisneyLovingMama

DIS Cast Member<br><font color=teal>I'll be your E
Thinking of using my Marriott Points to take the kids to the Marriott Resort (Grand Dunes) in Myrtle Beach this Summer. Just wondering if Myrtle Beach is an okay place to take kids and what there is to do there. Also, has anyone ever stayed at the Grand Dunes?

Friends who I haven't seen in ages live about 45 minutes from Myrtle Beach, so that's why I'm thinking there and not Disney!

Myrtle Beach is great with plenty to do. You can't throw a rock without hitting a minature golf place. There's Barefoot Landing and Broadway on the Beach (shopping areas), an Alligator Adventure, the Pavalion (a nice amusement park), go-carts... oh and the BEACH!

Definitely check out http://www.waccateezoo.com/ ... this is the "BEAST" kept secret in Myrtle Beach, although it is somewhat outside MB. Definitely a fun place where you can buy big plastic glasses of kibble to feed animals.

Here's one web site with attractions: http://www.oc-usa.com/myrtlebeach/GUIDE_to_Myrtle_Beach/myrtle_beach_attractions.html

(Edited to fix my error of combining Broadway and Barefoot into 1 area! YIKES!)

We also enjoy going to the Dixie Stampede. If you like country music, check out the schedule for the Alabama Theater. They often have big country stars in concert during the summer. Love Myrtle Beach. Going for a week in July myself. Wonderful mall if you like to shop.

My 9 yo DD loves Myrtle Beach - we were there last August.

Ripley's Aquarium is great, as is the Alligator adventure. The one shopping area close to the aquarium has a Build A Bear Workshop and of course the beach is always fun!!!! Alabama Theater is really good too.

Never stayed at the Grand Dunes, but it does look nice.

Love Myrtle Beach! There is plenty to do. A couple of nice shopping areas are, Barefoot Landing and Broadway at the Beach (I think Tigger Magic) combined the two names...LOL! Mini-golf, restaurants, the beach!

We have not been there, but we had been planning on going soon (changed our minds to Disney this year instead), but we really looked into resorts and Grand Dunes looks so beautiful! Its the place we actually had reservations to stay. Compared to pictures of some older hotels, I don't think you can go wrong with that one. Please post how it is once you're back, its still on our list of places to go.

We love MB! It has so much to do, but that's been covered in the previous posts. However, no one has mentioned restaurants! They have thousands!! Every type you can think of. They also have excellent golfing if you are into that. :sunny:

Keep in mind that if you go between late June and mid August, you will be there w/ half the free world. Talk about crowded! Leave plenty of time to get anywhere.

i love myrtle beach. we go every year. definetely hit up broadway at the beach and barefoot landings. oh and go to medieval times. it is like my favorite place in the whole world. seriously, your kids will love it. you get to eat with your hand, watch knights duel, and scream your head off. you should check into it. www.medievaltimes.com

The Tanger Oulets are great shopping, too. I love that area - I'm having fits to move down there!

Thanks for the all the great information.

Is there much of a difference from North Myrtle Beach and regular Myrtle Beach? A co-worker said I should got to N. Myrtle Beach. She didn't elaborate.

Not sure if there is a Marriott in North Myrtle Beach, but I was wondering about the difference.

DisneyLovingMama said:
Thinking of using my Marriott Points to take the kids to the Marriott Resort (Grand Dunes) in Myrtle Beach this Summer. Just wondering if Myrtle Beach is an okay place to take kids and what there is to do there. Also, has anyone ever stayed at the Grand Dunes?
We stayed at Marriott's Ocean Watch Villas at Grand Dunes a few weeks ago, which is the "vacation club" portion of the Grand Dunes resort. The entire Grand Dunes complex is beautiful. Your kids will love the various pools. There are lots of kid-friendly activities around Myrtle Beach.

Avoid the second half of May, if possible, as there are several biker events in the area that bring traffic to its knees.

DisneyLovingMama said:
Thanks for the all the great information.

Is there much of a difference from North Myrtle Beach and regular Myrtle Beach? A co-worker said I should got to N. Myrtle Beach. She didn't elaborate.

Not sure if there is a Marriott in North Myrtle Beach, but I was wondering about the difference.
North MB is less crowded, probably more family friendly. More condo bldgs and beach houses in North MB, more hotels in regular MB. I posted earlier that we stayed at the Beach Cove Resort, this is at the beginning of North MB, we really loved it there. You pretty much have to drive to Barefoot Landing and Broadway at the Beach anyway. If you prefer to be closer to the "action" and crowds, than look at MB.

DO NOT take your kids into Ripleys Haunted Adventure!! It scared the you know what out of ours to the point of tears.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter