• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My underestimate of total coronavirus death in the US

BabybetterDisney

DIS Veteran
Currently published South Korea numbers:

Total cases: 9976
Total death: 169
Death rate: 169/9976=1.7%

South Korea have the most trustworthy data right now. They have done extensive testing, and their death rate has been kept low enough that their hospitals are not overwhelmed. The US hospitals are overwhelmed, so the US death rate will be higher, but I am doing an underestimate so that we assume that the US hospitals have as much success as Korea.

Expert projecting eventual infection rate worldwide: 50-70%

My belief: nearly 100% in developed countries such as US with high level of population traveling frequently and extensively.

US population: 327 million.
Korea death rate: 1.7 percent

My projected US death number by the end of this year (100% infection):

327 x 1.7% = 5.6 million

If we assume expert projection of 70% final infection rate:

327 x 70% x1.7% = 3.9 million

Current projected death numbers by the US government: 200 thousand.

I think the US is downplaying the death numbers to avoid causing panic, although the 200 thousand is probably already creeping people out. I did the above math because I like to know the real numbers and the whole truth; even if it’s unpleasant, it helps me face the music better. I don’t like to be surprised.

The average American knows 600 people. That means at the end of the year, everybody will know an average 600 x 1.7% = 10 people who died from the virus. If most of your acquaintances are old because you are old (age 60+), then the number of dead acquaintances you know will be more like 50 (assuming you don’t die yourself.) That’s what I tell my DH, being he is in the 60+ group and most of his friends are old, and he knows a lot of people.

This is an estimate assuming proper medical care. Death rate from makeshift hospitals with shortage of staff and equipment will be higher. The shortage will increase as more staff die from the virus themselves. So far, 46 doctors have died in Italy. That doesn’t count nurses and janitorial staff. Imagine being in a tent full of beds, no heating or air conditioning, insufficient doctors and nurses and ventilators, not isolated from other patients‘ diseases. I hope it doesn’t come to that, but if it does, I think good home care is better if it‘s available. Furthermore, if you die in the hospital, you die alone. Family aren’t allowed to visit, and that fact alone might increase the death rate.

This is all bad news for me. If 6 million people die from this plague within the year, I don’t think Disney will be able to open even by Christmas. Between lost of work, lost of income and lost of loved ones, I don’t see many wanting (or be able to afford) to go to Disney World in the next months or years. And I really wanted DS4 to enjoy the kids waterslide at CBR while he’s still 4 years old. After this year, he will be too big for it.

Maybe we need a Covid sticky thread at this point, where everyone can post their theories, guesses, rants and unsubstantiated information? :D

I LOVE this idea, would provide alot of entertainment while I'm stuck at home. DO IT MODS!

Please share your CV so that we can understand your experience and expertise in statistics, mathematics, and medicine, particularly epidemiology, along with any other relevant education and experience so we are able to evaluate your estimation qualifications along with your treatise.

South Korea have the most trustworthy data right now. They have done extensive testing, and their death rate has been kept low enough that their hospitals are not overwhelmed. The US hospitals are overwhelmed, so the US death rate will be higher, but I am doing an underestimate so that we assume that the US hospitals have as much success as Korea.

My belief: nearly 100% in developed countries such as US with high level of population traveling frequently and extensively.

327 x 1.7% = 5.6 million

I think the US is downplaying the death numbers to avoid causing panic, although the 200 thousand is probably already creeping people out. I did the above math because I like to know the real numbers and the whole truth; even if it’s unpleasant, it helps me face the music better. I don’t like to be surprised.

The average American knows 600 people. That means at the end of the year, everybody will know an average 600 x 1.7% = 10 people who died from the virus. If most of your acquaintances are old because you are old (age 60+), then the number of dead acquaintances you know will be more like 50 (assuming you don’t die yourself.) That’s what I tell my DH, being he is in the 60+ group and most of his friends are old, and he knows a lot of people.

This is an estimate assuming proper medical care. Death rate from makeshift hospitals with shortage of staff and equipment will be higher. The shortage will increase as more staff die from the virus themselves. So far, 46 doctors have died in Italy. That doesn’t count nurses and janitorial staff. Imagine being in a tent full of beds, no heating or air conditioning, insufficient doctors and nurses and ventilators, not isolated from other patients‘ diseases. I hope it doesn’t come to that, but if it does, I think good home care is better if it‘s available. Furthermore, if you die in the hospital, you die alone. Family aren’t allowed to visit, and that fact alone might increase the death rate.

This is all bad news for me. If 6 million people die from this plague within the year, I don’t think Disney will be able to open even by Christmas. Between lost of work, lost of income and lost of loved ones, I don’t see many wanting (or be able to afford) to go to Disney World in the next months or years. And I really wanted DS4 to enjoy the kids waterslide at CBR while he’s still 4 years old. After this year, he will be too big for it.

If the worst thing that happens to you is not Disney opening for a few months, you'll be blessed and okay. Some things are about perspective.

Are you going to use this as part of your homework for your online math/statistics class?

If you believe your numbers then there is a lot more for you to worry about than your grandson not getting to go on a slide.

You were asked yesterday to provide your background and more information on how you come up with such insight. Continuing to post dribble in an effort to try and frighten people and then disappear from posts, likely to read responses and maybe get a good laugh at hysteria that you hope to induce (but you haven’t yet, have you?) reflects your insensitivity to this entire ordeal.

And if I were your child I would demand that you change your user name and take the face of my child off or your posts!!!

Continuing to post dribble in an effort to try and frighten people and then disappear from posts, likely to read responses and maybe get a good laugh at hysteria that you hope to induce (but you haven’t yet, have you?) reflects your insensitivity to this entire ordeal.
But that's what trolls do...I'm hitting the button.

There, I feel better now!

327 x 1.7% = 5.6 million

How does your husband feel about you telling him him and all his friends and relatives might die by the end of the year?

get.a.grip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter