My Trip to the 2013 D23 Expo - That's a Wrap!

What great news that Fran got a second chance at getting Si and Am and at a fraction of the price.

Corinna

OK so I have some breaking Si and Am news!!!!!!!!

I'm behind, because...well, I'm just behind because of the whole canceled Magic trip and then various D23 events. But:
Love the Harveys bags (I'm predictable!) and squee! about Si and Am...I've been lurking on the house thread, they'll be perfect!
:cool1:

Can't wait to see those pictures hanging on your walls! :cool1:

And good choice on the purse :thumbsup2 I would have chosen that one too. My next selection would have been the Sally purse right above the one you purchased.

YAY for Si and Am!!! And for way less than what she was going to buy it at too! Now you can spend that money you 'saved' on other Disney items! :cool1::cool1:

Very cool!

Jill in CO

Now I just kind of wish that they would just get here! We've had snafus with PayPal, bank accounts and all sorts of funny things. I would like them to arrive already!

Good things come to those who wait!

Great news about Si and Am. And at 75% the auction price? Bargain!

This guy that Fran has been working with has been quite the interesting person to work with. He has got us some "deals" and explained that all the Expo stuff sold for way over it's value. He is a "consultant" for Disney and has told us interesting rumors, none that can be corroborated.

Very nice update Alison. The paintings at the Dream Store were all very nice and fun to look at. The Maleficent painting is a very nice one.

Kim - I agree with Alison that getting general admission tickets for the D23 Expo is worth it if you and your family are planning on going in 2015. They will have a fun time enjoying the activities at the D23 Expo.

That is great news to hear that Fran will be able to get the Si and Am figures. I remember really well during the Expo that she wanted to get those figures.

I've been reading another attendees account, and they also did the general admission and seemed to have a great time. Taylor, if you're out there, :wave2:.

That is fantastic. I am so glad Fran got them after all and the discounted price is always a good thing.

Thanks Bret and Alison,

I would only invest in the Sorcerer's Package if I went alone. It is a large investment for more than one ticket, especially because it would be hard to get the value with the kids. Crap decided he will take the kids to the park while I attend the expo, so I will be solo. We can buy them general admission tickets, so they can attend an event here or there. Odds are I will likely buy general admission tickets too.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I think after meeting Xander twice, taking him to the park instead of the Expo is the best bet. He might enjoy the kids activities and the more boisterous events, but you wouldn't be able to attend any of the seminars like Brett and I attended with Xander in tow.

Thank you so much for the picture of Paige! What a great shot as well you got so close faint! You are too kind to take that for me.

Oh I totally get that re hit the wall re stimulation. I call it pleasure overload! You just can't absorb anymore. How wonderful you had your massage and what a welcome part of the package! Well worth getting online early to get those passes. Like the gift that keeps giving!

I am over the moon re your Si and Am fate. What a result talk about meant to be. Those kitties are coming home! Love the HM pic and that bag! :-) lovely.

I'm glad you enjoyed the picture of Paige. That whole pleasure overload always happens to me at the Expo, I keep forgetting that. Hopefully we will see the kitties soon.

What great news that Fran got a second chance at getting Si and Am and at a fraction of the price.

Corinna

It definitely was! As I said earlier, we are still awaiting their arrival. Hopefully they got all the paypal/bank account snafus worked out and the guy has shipped them.

I'm behind, because...well, I'm just behind because of the whole canceled Magic trip and then various D23 events. But:
Love the Harveys bags (I'm predictable!) and squee! about Si and Am...I've been lurking on the house thread, they'll be perfect!
:cool1:

Well, I'm behind too. But I AM going to finish this!

Can't wait to see those pictures hanging on your walls! :cool1:

And good choice on the purse :thumbsup2 I would have chosen that one too. My next selection would have been the Sally purse right above the one you purchased.

YAY for Si and Am!!! And for way less than what she was going to buy it at too! Now you can spend that money you 'saved' on other Disney items! :cool1::cool1:

Ha! We don't have that money we "saved" any more. Since we now have a house! :rotfl2:

OK, so I know I've been slacking on this TR, but it's now all done. I just have to share it with you all which I will do not all at one time, but gradually. With the house and the other trip(s) falling so close after this one, it was difficult. However, I can't wait to start sharing my next trip so I need to wrap up this one and the other one before I can start the next WDW PTR! On with the show!

By this time we were recharged enough to head back to a seminar. This was now the third Imagineering seminar of the day. I was astonished at how empty the room was.

It was called “The Craft of Creativity”.

Featured on the Panel was our Host, Chris Montan who is the President of Music.

Our first guest was Joe Lanzisero, and though the guests were all brought in at the beginning and one at a time, I’m going to share their photos when I talk about what they said. I didn’t take a lot of pictures during this session because all they really did was sit on the couch talking, so we’ll focus on what they said here.

The first question posed to each of them was “How did you get ‘there’?” Meaning to be an Imagineer. There is no set course like becoming a Doctor or a Lawyer, you don’t go to school to be an Imagineer, so what was the specific path you took to get to this point?

Joe’s area of specialty was in the Cruise Ship division. He said that the bottom line for any Imagineering project was that you must always be entertaining the guest, when looking at any project, you always need to be focusing on the bigger picture and realize that it is always bigger than you. Don’t fixate on the details, they are important, but don’t get so caught up in them that you lose sight of the larger picture for the scope of things.

Hmmmm… that really didn’t answer the question, but that’s what my notes say.

Next to speak (even though he was not the next to come out onstage) was Joe Rohde.

He stayed on the topic a little bit better. Growing up in Hawaii, Joe was quite a young troublemaker. He was quickly going down a path which could have been detrimental to his life and career. Someone in school dares him to make a set for “The Tempest”. He also had a role in the production, and that challenge started him down a new path which started his life in “designing”.

He talked about how product budgets have affected his projects and mentioned that he “respects” the budget but he does not let it inhibit the creativity of the project. There is always a way to achieve what you want if you really try.

Eric Jacobsen was the next to speak. He grew up in Fullerton, and always loved Disneyland. At age 15 he auditioned to be in a parade.

The minimum age was 18, so they let him be a Christmas tree. Later he got promoted to the rear end of a Jungle Book Elephant. In his Sr. year he became the front of Col. Hati.

When he went to USC, it was convenient for him to still work on the weekends at DL.

Tom Fitzgerald moved to Florida to work at Walt Disney World. He lied on his application saying that he had a car and he hitchhiked every day to work.

While he was employed he made a Pooh model for an idea that he had and he showed it to Marty Sklar.

Marty Sklar did see something in his skills, but told him never to make the model again!

Kathy Mangum started her Disney career in the Bazaar in Adventureland. She lived in Orange and was getting her degree in English. She got an internship writing for Disney which eventually launched into a full time job at Imagineering.

Daniel Jue wanted to be an engineer since that’s what his Dad did, but he had no idea what that was.

In High School he started doing stage crew for theater before he went to UCLA as a theater major.

He started working at the Disney store and somehow between stage design and merchandise displays he was noticed and that launched him into Imagineering.

Now that you have met our entire panel. Let’s hear about some more of their answers to other questions.

Joe Rohde was asked, “How do you manage giant construction budgets?”

For those of you who do not realize, Joe was the designer behind such great attractions as the Adventurer’s Club, Expedition Everest, and Aulani.

His answer was that the first thing you need to understand it why you’re REALLY doing the project in the first place. Once you fully understand that everything tends to fall into place and it becomes crystal clear. He used Aulani as an example, it wasn’t enough to build “A Disney resort in Hawaii.” There needed to be a reason that separated the resort from the rest and what would truly make it special.

By bringing the true Hawaiian spirit to the resort making it truly unique and representing the Hawaiian people in heart and soul makes the project special. He called it Accumulative Harmony. He also said that sometimes what is right is not available to you. That can be where budget challenges lie, so when he argues for more or less money there needs to be a fundamental reason which goes back to understanding why you are REALLY doing the project.

Joe Lanzisero spoke again, and this time he more answered the first question. He started as an animator at Cal Arts. He mentioned that you have love people to do this job. He was working on short films for Epcot, but occasionally his job would take him to Imagineering in across the street from Disney Studios.

He found the energy and collaborative vibe that he experienced at Imagineering was fantastic. He gave a portfolio to Marty Sklar and the next Friday he packed up his desk and moved across the street to Imagineering and started working next to Joe Rohde.

Tom Fitzgerald was forced to go to Northwestern University out of family pressure, but he always had a deep desire to go out California. Eventually he made it out there and ended up working under Marty Sklar After he had been working for Marty Sklar for a while, they began work on the MGM Studios project. Tom really didn’t want to work on that one, but Marty convinced him to do saying “it would only be 3 weeks.”

It turned out to be three years! Also since MGM wasn’t going to be a real studio, someone needed to make the movies needed for all the attraction queues and such. Tom ended up working on movies for various rides for 20 years.

Now from here on out the rest of the people speaking will be short and sweet answers. They had a microphone set up in the audience and members formed a line to ask questions of specific Imagineers. I didn’t get a chance to write down all the questions, sometimes, I could just get the answer. Often times the people didn’t have a question and they just wanted to worship the particular imagineer and tell them how great they were. Forgive me if it seems to be jumping around a lot.

Daniel Jue ended up working on new store openings for the Disney store. He started out designing for the stores, and this made him want to try his hand at Imagineering. So he started off in show set designing.

Someone asked Kathy Mangum a question about Leadership. She started off in Imagineering with small video productions and then moved on to larger projects. Overseeing the Tomorrowland redo at Disneyland was her first major project. She had learned to observe, ask questions and take an interest in people’s specific jobs. She found that made them more willing to work with you and keep you updated and on track.

A question for Joe Rohde was how did set designing evolve into Aulani and the parks? He said that set design is a form of illusion, and the question you need to ask when doing either is “what do the people see from where they are?” An audience has a much more limited view than someone at a resort or a theme park. When designing the illusion, it need to be real, and when you add the details, they can’t be superfluous, there needs to be a reason for everything and why it’s there. Whether it serves a function or just adds to the illusion.

Joe Lanzisero got a question about what are some of the plans for the cruise ships. His reply was that he tries to always create an emotional connection with the space for the guest. Every space on the ships has some sort of story for it and by understanding the brand and the story, you reach the guest. (BTW, I have the word “Huh?” written in my notes here).

I don’t know what questions Tom Fitzgerald was asked, but it had something to do with “the show”. He started in theater at around age eight and back then you couldn’t be IN the show and see it too. The thing with the New York World’s Fair that really hit him was that the creators would enjoy their production because they didn’t have to be in them. He stressed that with any theme park, or entertainment objective, “the show” is they key to everything.

Eric Jacobsen was asked about what was the most difficult thing in Imagineering. He said determining the objective. The crowd laughed when he told us that he is easily distracted by shiny objects!

Joe Rohde was asked about Aulani and how he was able to create something unique (alluded to in his previous comment) that didn’t already exist in the Islands.

The first question (he seems to be all about asking yourself questions) you need to ask is what makes HAWAII unique and the place to go?

The HAWAIIANS!

If you’re going to make a resort unique to Hawaiians, it HAS to be about Hawaiians. So he said, “We need to get a bunch of Hawaiians” (BTW he did not consider himself to be a Hawaiian even though he grew up there, he said that they had to be full bred Hawaiians and not mainland transplants) “spend a lot of time with Hawaiians, find out what they say is Hawaiian and do what they say. Carry this out and follow it through and you will get something uniquely Hawaiian.”

Another audience member asked Tom Fitzgerald if he was a “beach boy”. Evidently on the old Horizons pavilion, they couldn’t find someone to play the part of a “beach boy” so he got rooked into it, but he said that “No” he was not a “beach boy”.

I think Daniel Jue was asked what was his most favorite or rewarding project. He answered, Tokyo Disney. He did Pooh’s Honey Hunt. It was the first trackless vehicle ride that they had done, he fell in love with Japan and he also met his wife. In 2007 he put Captain Jack in Pirates of the Caribbean and also spent time as the Director of Imagineering in Tokyo Disney.

There were a few more questions, but my hands must have been getting tired because my notes have become even more cryptic so that I can’t seem to make much sense of them. That’s the problem when it takes so long to wrap up a trip report!

There was still a long line of people waiting with questions when they had to cut them off. It was a very interesting hour or so listening to these folks talk. If they said their positions, I don’t remember hearing them, but just to see I checked out the Wikipedia Imagineering page and most of these people are either Senior, Executive or Creative Vice Presidents in the Company. It was quite a panel of folks to listen to for the afternoon!

What an amazing panel and how amazing are those empty seats??? I can't imagine why hardly anyone wanted to come and listen to the Imagineers speak about life experiences.

Thanks for sharing.

And I hope your life experiences are settling down somewhat. If not, I hope you're getting some down time. :hug:

It was nice to read about the Walt Disney Imagineering 60th: Craft of Creativity seminar in Stage 23. That was the third seminar in Stage 23 that Sunday. That was kind of surprising to see and read that there weren't any people in that seminar. I would have enjoyed that seminar as well.

Very nice update.

My DA and I didn't attend that seminar in Stage 23 since we were in Stage 28 for the Women of Pixar at Stage 28. It was nice to hear from the women of Pixar of how they started and what they do.

A seminar full of Imagineers must have been fantastic. I agree with so much if what they are saying. Aulani makes me want to visit Hawaii more than ever before. Gotta make that happen. It looks like they really did incorporate Hawaiian culture. Being an Imangineer would be a cool job. I like that the audience had a chance to ask questions.

It does not take a lot of time with Xander to realize he is like a little tornado. There is no way I would take him to most of these seminars. If he goes at all, I was thinking of buying him a general admission ticket and only bringing him to extremely kid friendly events (should there by any at the next expo). For all of the adult centered ones, I would attend alone while Crap takes the boys to the park. The other option is to leave the boys in Vegas with my MIL while Crap and I enjoy the expo and some park time alone with NO KIDS. That would be AWESOME.

isn't it amazing how different their stories are? and how they all ended up doing similar things

Thank you for sharing these pictures with us.

If I were on that line to ask the Imagineers questions, I'm afraid they would have had to drag me away - I have at least a dozen questions for each of them!

Thanks again for all the hard work in sharing all of this with us,
Robert

This sounded like a fascinating seminar. I can't believe that it was so empty. I would have been all over this.

Corinna

What an amazing panel and how amazing are those empty seats??? I can't imagine why hardly anyone wanted to come and listen to the Imagineers speak about life experiences.

Thanks for sharing.

And I hope your life experiences are settling down somewhat. If not, I hope you're getting some down time. :hug:

Yeah, I was sad to see it so empty too. I guess the Women of Pixar was up against them and perhaps everyone wanted to go to that. There was also a gamers presentation going on in the arena.

It was nice to read about the Walt Disney Imagineering 60th: Craft of Creativity seminar in Stage 23. That was the third seminar in Stage 23 that Sunday. That was kind of surprising to see and read that there weren't any people in that seminar. I would have enjoyed that seminar as well.

Very nice update.

My DA and I didn't attend that seminar in Stage 23 since we were in Stage 28 for the Women of Pixar at Stage 28. It was nice to hear from the women of Pixar of how they started and what they do.

Was that seminar full?

A seminar full of Imagineers must have been fantastic. I agree with so much if what they are saying. Aulani makes me want to visit Hawaii more than ever before. Gotta make that happen. It looks like they really did incorporate Hawaiian culture. Being an Imangineer would be a cool job. I like that the audience had a chance to ask questions.

It does not take a lot of time with Xander to realize he is like a little tornado. There is no way I would take him to most of these seminars. If he goes at all, I was thinking of buying him a general admission ticket and only bringing him to extremely kid friendly events (should there by any at the next expo). For all of the adult centered ones, I would attend alone while Crap takes the boys to the park. The other option is to leave the boys in Vegas with my MIL while Crap and I enjoy the expo and some park time alone with NO KIDS. That would be AWESOME.

All day in that room they had panels of different Imagineers, I wish we were up to seeing some of the others, but we were just on sensory overload.

isn't it amazing how different their stories are? and how they all ended up doing similar things

It was very intriguing to listen to them speak. I'm sure I didn't do what they said justice.

What a cool seminar!

Jill in CO

It was very inspiring.

Sad to see those empty seats, sounds like a very enjoyable seminar.

::yes::

Thank you for sharing these pictures with us.

If I were on that line to ask the Imagineers questions, I'm afraid they would have had to drag me away - I have at least a dozen questions for each of them!

Thanks again for all the hard work in sharing all of this with us,
Robert

They did limit people to one question, but yes they were practically dragging away some who wanted to ask more.

This sounded like a fascinating seminar. I can't believe that it was so empty. I would have been all over this.

Corinna

:thumbsup2

After our session was over we had another session scheduled from 2:30 to 3:45PM and it was 2:15. The problem was that we had stuff to pick up from Theme Park Connection and the Sorcerer’s Apprentice, big stuff. I had also made a decision on my necklace, so our first stop was the Disney Dream Store where we finally bit the bullet and got me this. (If you haven’t already noticed in my TRs or seen me wearing it for those I have met up with since August.)

To my dismay, I am not the only person out there with one now as they have started selling them at World of Disney at DL and it is also available online at the Disney store.

The folks at Theme Park Connection offered to help us get the stuff to our car with a dolly since some of it was too big for us to carry on our scooters. We went to each of the booths and they got all the stuff out of the TPC and then the guy came with us down to the Sorcerer’s Apprentice Booth. While they were wrapping up our Sorcerer Mickey, we agreed that it would better for me to go over to the Hilton and get the car to come up from Valet. Fran would wait with the guy from TPC and lead him over to the car once Mickey was wrapped up safe and sound. On my way to the hotel, I saw all kinds of people in costume. I hadn’t taken many pictures of them all weekend, so I took the opportunity to do so now.

Once we had loaded all of our goodies into the car, we let the Valets take it back to the parking lot and we skedaddled back over to the Expo. There was one session left and we didn’t want to miss this one!

Love the girl dressed like soldier Mulan. :thumbsup2

That necklace is fantastic! If you want one of a kind diamonds, I know a guy, who sleeps in my bed, who can hook you up. ;) My favorite necklace though is the one that you wore last time we saw you. It looked perfect with your sparkling dress. :thumbsup2

Olaf in a grass skirt is just too cute.

Love the girl dressed like soldier Mulan. :thumbsup2

That necklace is fantastic! If you want one of a kind diamonds, I know a guy, who sleeps in my bed, who can hook you up. ;) My favorite necklace though is the one that you wore last time we saw you. It looked perfect with your sparkling dress. :thumbsup2

Olaf in a grass skirt is just too cute.

I thought hers was one of the most well executed of the lot. There were others the first two days, but it was so busy and I was so caught up in everything else, I missed the photo opportunities.

Great update! Love the cosplay.

And that's a lovely necklace; one-off or not. :thumbsup2

So cosplay means "dressing up"?

I thought hers was one of the most well executed of the lot. There were others the first two days, but it was so busy and I was so caught up in everything else, I missed the photo opportunities.

So cosplay means "dressing up"?

I love how into it everyone gets. Some of those costumes are quite elaborate.

The session was called “Leave ‘em Laughing”.

Our Host was Dave Fisher, his is in Story Development and is a Show Writer.

The first panelist introduced was Kevin Rafferty also from Story Development.

From Animation they introduced George (Jorje) Scribner and Joe Lancisero.

And lastly Jason Sorrell from Live entertainment and attractions.

They gave us a little history on each of the guys. Joe Lancisero grew up in Burbank wanting to draw. He went to Cal Arts with John Lasseter. These guys would keep inserting random thoughts/facts throughout the session. At this point he chose to share with us that His last scene was cut from Oliver & Co.

George Scribner was born and raised in Panama. He was directing Mcdonald’s commercials there. He submitted a portfolio to Disney and was turned down over and over again. He moved to LA and finally got an in on Oliver & Co. and ended up directing the Prince and the Pauper. He continued as a storywriter and ten years ago he moved to Imagineering. Among the attractions he has done are Mickey’s Philharmagic and the Three Caballeros Ride.

Kevin Rafferty was one of the creators of Mickey’s Philharmagic. He had worked for Disney for 35 years, among his rides were Test Track, Finding Nemo Subs and all kinds of other attractions.

I don’t have anything on Jason other than what I already said. And after the introductions they launched into the meat of the presentation.

Humor was not always a part of Walt Disney’s world. In fact he had no plans for “humor” at DL. They told a story that Marc Davis had wrapped up a project prior to the opening of DL and Walt asked Marc to come down and consult on a few things. I’m sure that word “consult” was not the same thing as we know a consultant to be today. Marc noticed that the attractions were missing one thing, humor. Marc Davis designed and added this gag to the Jungle Cruise that you see pictured here.

He said that it was all about staging in the jokes. It takes 1/24th of a second to recognize the situation, and he called this “The Billboard Technique”. All this knowledge came out of years of doing shorts. They had to make sure that the gags on the Jungle Cruise “read” from the side and not the front.

They talked about what a genius Marc Davis was and all of his accomplishments, working on Pirates, the Haunted Mansion all the while he was part of that crowd that would hang out at the Tam O’Shanter having three Martini lunches.

It was asked when did the script for the Jungle Cruise become funny? There is a rumor that Walt visited somewhere in 1956 or 57 and one of the skippers suggested that they add humor, but that is not true. The humor was added when Marc Davis came in on the project.

An aside to this conversation was that in creating HKDL they had to work with Mandarin speaking folks to make sure that they were incorporating jokes that the locals could relate to. However, they did point out that the “Mother in law” joke seems to translate into any language.

Moving on to Pirates of the Caribbean this was another ride that Marc Davis felt relied heavily on gags.

If you ask any kid today they will tell you that the ride is based on the movies. However, evidently when they revamped the ride to include Jack Sparrow they based the Florida version heavily on the movies. Johnny Depp gave a lot of input and made some changes to the script. He was very collaborative and made the instances of Jack Sparrow in the ride more “Jack”-ish.

Evidently one of the lines that he was supposed to say was “I can see why he wants the red head,” but he said something that shouldn’t be said in the parks, so they had to turn the volume down on that track. However evidently a slap that he received by the Red Head was genuine, and deserved.

The Haunted Mansion is sort of two attractions in one. Though he never saw it completed, Walt was well aware of the ideas that were in progress during it’s construction. Marc Davis wanted it to be a funny attraction while Claude Coates wanted it to be a much scarier ride. What we ended up with was a blending of the two.

Then they segued into the next era, and said, “Moving on to the Michael Eisner years.”

Pause, wait for it.

“There was nothing funny about that.”

:rotfl2:

During the Michael Eisner years he tried to bring in more celebrities to the parks. They played us the clip from the little movie that had Robin Williams and Walter Kronkite did that used to play in DHS. How many of you remember this little guy?

They used Ellen DeGeneres in Ellen’s Energy Adventure, also Michael Richards (famous for Kramer on Seinfeld) played the caveman discovering fire. Which got them talking about the Seinfeld cast. When christening the Fantasy they got Neil Patrick Harris and Jerry Seinfeld to do it, so that they could have a major NY moment.

In a not so genius moment, Jerry Seinfeld proclaimed, “I’m on a boat! I’m on a boat! I get to see the end of my life....It’s not so bad.” I supposed he was referring to the myth that old people are the main cruising market.

This brought them to a Jason Alexander story related to It's Tough to be a Bug. He was doing the voice of a weevil and was talking to, I believe that it was Joe Lansicero. Joe kept having him try various different voices, he’d try “funny”, “whiny”, “bellowing” and then some, and Joe would say, “No, no, not that.” What he really wanted was George Costanza, but he was embarrassed to come out and say that. Eventually Alexander said something in the Costanza voice and Joe said, “That’s it!”

Alexander replied with a downhearted tone to his voice, “Oh, George Costanza.” But being a professional, that’s the voice that he gave him.

Back to the comedy in the parks. When creating It’s Tough to Be a Bug, they were considering a Mating Game Scene. The female bugs were awful bugs like black widows and other evil bugs. Flik was the bachelor. He asked “What would you do after our first date?”

The Black widow replied, “I would Rip your head off and suck out your guts!”

The producer of the show said, “No way! An ant wouldn’t date a spider!” It’s all about the believability! :rolleyes1

Another thing that they do for humor’s sake is create silly names. Way back when Marty Sklar came up with the title for the store Rings ‘n Things. It was a store in DL that is now closed, but it poked fun at Walt as he used to say that a lot.

Other cute, funny names include attractions at Blizzard Beach

Summit Plummet, Avalunch, and Crusher Gusher

There’s Winter/Summerland

The premise of this mini golf course is “What would elves do in the Summertime?”

[Continued in Next Post]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter