My Thoughts on the “Walt’s Main Street Story” Tour

WebmasterMaryJo

Techarita
Staff member
Administrator
I try to go on all the tours at the Disneyland Resort so I can share my personal experiences on them. Over the years, I’ve taken the "Walk in Walt’s Footsteps" tour three times - visited his apartment twice and the Dream Suite once.

I was happy to hear that they brought back tours, and a modified version of the "Walk in Walt’s Footsteps" tour was included, so I booked the "Walt's Main Street Story" tour for the first day I could go. When booking, I was happy to note that there were plenty of tours available.

Here is the tour as advertised:
A881CEFE-5E1A-4667-AEB7-1FA07B7B94E2.png

We had a good group. Everyone checked in ahead of time so everyone was provided with a lanyard and a laminated paper tag for the tour. We were also given an earpiece so we could hear our tour guide at all times. This is such an improvement over the earlier years where you had to be next to the guide in order to hear the comments, and wouldn’t hear anything if the guide was pointing out interesting sites. With these we were connected at all times.

Our tour started right on time, and after a brief introduction in front of City Hall we went to the exit area of Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln to listen about some anecdotes on Walt Disney’s early life and his vision for Main Street. From there we down Main Street, crossed the street to stop in front of Refreshment Corner, and continued back towards Town Square. We stopped one more time in front of the Emplorium and heard some more trivia about Main Street and Walt Disney’s early life then continued to Walt’s apartment.

Our group was small enough for all of us to go up to the apartment. In the past, they limited the group to 10 at a time, and there were 7 in this group. We all went up and once there were shown around the apartment and given some history and trivia about it. I thought this part of the tour was really well done. We had plenty of time in the apartment, and then a Disneyland photographer took a picture of us that included the lamp in it.

EC6C5A3D-0C7C-475B-A649-978446DFDFB9.jpeg

After visiting Walt’s apartment we went out on the deck patio. We still were not allowed to take pictures up there, but it was nice to sit down for a question/answer session, and to get a drink and a cookie. I had been on the patio before, and noted that now there is a new lattice fence that kind of blocks our view of the street below. I don’t know if they added that since the tour now includes a patio visit and they don’t want pictures of Main Street posted from that vantage point, or if there is another reason - but there are three fences between the patio and Main Street. After visiting the patio we were taken back down and out to Main Street.

3FB421BC-E942-4431-B464-694AADF3AA18.jpeg

My final thoughts about the tour: Only take this tour if you are willing to pay $160+ to visit Walt’s apartment.

The tour itself was 25 minutes before we were taken up to Walt’s apartment. I was really disappointed that more wasn’t shared about Main Street. We basically went to four spots along Main Street where we were given stories about Walt, and that his early years in Marceline inspired Main Street, and very few interesting details about Main Street. There was no commentary while we were walking, and we were given basic information and a couple of cool pieces of trivia. The total tour from the time we started until the time we ended back on Main Street was one hour. The Disneyland site advertises that the tour is 90 minutes. I was expecting the entire tour to be 90 minutes, not 60 minutes. If the Main Street tour is going to be 25 minutes (which it was), then 20 minutes in Walt’s apartment, and 15 minutes on the patio, the website should be more clear about what is actually going to happen for the money that we are spending so we can judge whether it’s worth it or not.

Pros:
  • Tour guide was engaging and made sure we could hear and answered questions. Also asked questions so everyone felt included/not left out
  • Enough time in Walt’s apartment, and pointed out different artifacts, shared trivia, and even opened cupboards, and allowed us to check out the bathroom
  • Accessible now for guests in wheelchairs to go to Walt’s apartment
Cons:
  • Not worth the cost for the tour, in my opinion
  • Tour time was too short and more could have been shared, even storytelling to make it last longer (I’m looking at this for the normal guest, not guests like me that know a lot about the parks)
  • They used to hand out a really nice pin as a memento and include lunch. Now the memento might be the cardstock paper tag on a lanyard (not worth it, in my opinion), and we got a cookie to be eaten during ‘tour time‘, where before, in my experience, we ate our lunches after the tour was over.
Note that I purposely left out some details of the tour and questions asked/answered so as not to the spoil the tour for those that do go on it, because I believe that some people feel that paying $160 to visit Walt’ apartment is worth it, and the tour itself will be enjoyable with managed expectations.

Attachments

• D9C6C739-6E7E-4469-ACD8-0A9EC85D77DE.png
    D9C6C739-6E7E-4469-ACD8-0A9EC85D77DE.png
    89.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I was really disappointed that more wasn’t shared about Main Street. We basically went to four spots along Main Street where we were given stories about Walt, and that his early years in Marceline inspired Main Street, and very few interesting details about Main Street. There was no commentary while we were walking, and we were given basic information and a couple of cool pieces of trivia.
Did your guide not even discuss all the tribute windows on Main Street? As you say, an experienced DL visitor would know about things like that, but the windows would make fascinating stories for a newbie.

The total tour from the time we started until the time we ended back on Main Street was one hour. The Disneyland site advertises that the tour is 90 minutes. I was expecting the entire tour to be 90 minutes, not 60 minutes. If the Main Street tour is going to be 25 minutes (which it was), then 20 minutes in Walt’s apartment, and 15 minutes on the patio, the website should be more clear about what is actually going to happen for the money that we are spending so we can judge whether it’s worth it or not.
Wow, you should really write to Guest Services about that. You only got 2/3 of the promised time. And maybe ask them what the breakdown of the total time is supposed to be. E.g., maybe more time on Main Street learning about the windows, for starters? The guide could also point out all the types of Main Street transportation and why each was chosen.

Thank you so much for your review! We will be doing the tour on Halloween, as we never did the Walk In Walt's Footsteps Tour. Looking forward to finally seeing Walt's apartment!!

Thank you so much for your report! I'd been hoping for reviews before deciding whether to book this tour.

Admittedly, I'm a bit of a cheapskate sometimes and the idea of essentially spending $1.78 a minute was giving me pause. Hearing that your your only ended up being 60 minutes, that's basically $2.67/minute. That pretty much makes up my mind until it's been going longer and perhaps improves some.

Thank you for sharing! Did you personally learn anything new? Or had you already heard/learned what was shared previously? It really does seem awfully expensive for what you get.

Did your guide not even discuss all the tribute windows on Main Street? As you say, an experienced DL visitor would know about things like that, but the windows would make fascinating stories for a newbie.
Yes, a couple of windows were explained, and I thought one was a cool example since it was related to Walt's apartment (well, two of them were), but I didn't want to go into detail in order to avoid spoilers.

Wow, you should really write to Guest Services about that. You only got 2/3 of the promised time. And maybe ask them what the breakdown of the total time is supposed to be. E.g., maybe more time on Main Street learning about the windows, for starters? The guide could also point out all the types of Main Street transportation and why each was chosen.
I left a comment at City Hall - my first negative comment since I usually leave positive comments about the cast members. I hope they consider the comments to revamp the tour so it is the full 90 minutes.

I was really good during the tour and didn't volunteer any information or try to call attention to myself, but a few times I did wonder why some details weren't shared with the group. It was hard because I'm a real extrovert, lol.

Thank you so much for your review! We will be doing the tour on Halloween, as we never did the Walk In Walt's Footsteps Tour. Looking forward to finally seeing Walt's apartment!!
Enjoy the tour. Walt's apartment is a real treat to see. :)

Thank you for sharing! Did you personally learn anything new? Or had you already heard/learned what was shared previously? It really does seem awfully expensive for what you get.
I always learn something new, sometimes because I forget (who can remember all the details?) and sometimes because I literally learned something new. I did learn some new things on this particular tour, and appreciate those facts. :)

Thank you so much, Mary Jo, for your wonderful recap of the tour! I have to say that it doesn't sound like it's worth $160 for what you got. I think there will be plenty of people who would love to see Walt's apartment, but I've been able to see it in a special situation so that wouldn't be a reason for me to spend that much. I too would love to hear more about the history of Main St, as you said you'd hoped would be included, because I love that kind of thing. I also don't remember much of what I've heard before, LOL, so I could be a happy return customer if you give me plenty of fun facts :)

Thanks for the review of the tour. I have it booked for over Thanksgiving weekend but I'm still on the fence about it, even after your review. I've been in Walt's apartment before but I would like to go again. What flavor was the cookie offered? Any alternative offered in case of any medical needs?

What flavor was the cookie offered? Any alternative offered in case of any medical needs?
The cookie is lemon with a bit of lemon zest, and the frosting didn’t have any flavor to me. We were asked for our drink preference at the beginning of the tour, and the cookie wasn’t mentioned. .

Thank you SO much for sharing this. I was debating between this and the "Holiday Time at the Disneyland Resort" as something fun to do. Definitely leaning to the Holiday Time now!

We're booked for Oct. 30th (Sunday). Haven't been to Walt's apartment before. Thank you for the review, that tempered my expectations.

I’ve been on the tour and thought it was a great little pop of history on Main Street and the main attraction was Walt’s apartment. This is not a replacement for “Walk in Walt’s Footsteps”. It’s a brand new tour.

Whether this tour is worth the price is all about perspective. If you want to see Walt’s apartment and have the means to do, it’s worth it. As a former CM, Walt’s lamp is a big emotional tie to my time working at the Park. I knew CM’s who worked with Walt and I always look up there in tribute to them as well.

Our tour guide gave quite a bit of detailed history inside the apartment. Lot’s of fun bits of nostalgia to talk about when looking at where Walt and Lilly spent their family time while in the Park.

I’m looking forward to seeing what the Holiday Time tour is all about. That’s on my calendar!

It sounds like only do this tour if you're dying to see Walt's apartment (or go up there again). I can't remember what I paid (who cares!) when we did the Walk in Walt's Footsteps Tour in 2019, but I don't think it was more than this and also it included lunch and jumping the line on 3 attractions (ended up being Alice, It's a Small World, and the RR for us).

I’ve been on the tour and thought it was a great little pop of history on Main Street and the main attraction was Walt’s apartment. This is not a replacement for “Walk in Walt’s Footsteps”. It’s a brand new tour.

Whether this tour is worth the price is all about perspective. If you want to see Walt’s apartment and have the means to do, it’s worth it. As a former CM, Walt’s lamp is a big emotional tie to my time working at the Park. I knew CM’s who worked with Walt and I always look up there in tribute to them as well.

Our tour guide gave quite a bit of detailed history inside the apartment. Lot’s of fun bits of nostalgia to talk about when looking at where Walt and Lilly spent their family time while in the Park.

I’m looking forward to seeing what the Holiday Time tour is all about. That’s on my calendar!
Do you recall how long your tour lasted from beginning to end?

Thank you MaryJo for your honest review! We are always looking for new things to check out, and this review was helpful. I agree it’s a steep price for that length of tour, but it all depends on the guest. We will leave it to those who want to splurge a little more.

(Our splurges are with dining and dessert packages. 😉)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter