My #$*& the budget wish trip wth my mum - we're almost on our way!

BTW, those are the rates from the AP website. :) and yes, do consider upgrading one of you hoppers for the discounts.

Thank you! :goodvibes :hug:

I will update when I work out if I can make it work. I'm hoping to call them today - so long as the dr. calls back with the okay!

I've been MIA for awhile and just caught up on your story. I'm so sorry.

Good luck with all the hotel stuff. If you can do it, I whole-heartidly agree with staying at the GCH.

I also second the idea of making a scrapbook of the trip. And something that might be nice for you to remember the trip by is a sillouette of you and and your mom that they do on Main St. And use those Photopass photographers!!

Okay, we have permission from the oncologist to go! He's actually going on vacation himself until Aug. 17th, so it works out well. :thumbsup2

Second, I called Disney (the reservation line on the website) and the CM couldn't help. The Disney hotels are booked pretty solid. I could have done a two night stay, or been in and out... But nothing for the six nights we're going to be there. And it seems mean to make my mum switch hotels for two nights.

So, knowing that I can't do the Disney hotels, do you think the Sheraton Anaheim is the best bet? Or somewhere else? Now that we have dr. approval I'm hoping to get everything booked today!

If fatigue is an issue, the Tropicanna is next door, their web site shows a few nice suites, some even with kitchens, or Candy Cane Inn has a dedicated shuttle, they have a very nice breakfast and premium rooms to book.

I think ART might be a bad idea for your Mom, but then so is walking. Because of that these might be two good options.

Honestly, I think if the DLR hotels aren't an option then I'd go with the Candy Cane Inn. Normally I'd just suggest the HoJo but your Mom might not want to walk all that much so the CCI's dedicated FREE shuttle might be the best bet. It's a nice hotel, we've stayed there a time or two and it's close enough you could walk it. They also have a very good free breakfast, nothing hot but it's still good.

Judy suggested the Trop which is also nice but in comparison the rooms at CCI were slightly better then the ones we stayed in at the Tropicana.

I'm seeing availability on the AP site at DLH for $279 for all but the 7th and 8th with the 7th and 8th costing 311. PP has availability at 252 and 275, but nothing available for 8/5. It is showing availability the entire time on the site for GH, too. I thought that was pretty up to date. For the length of time you'll be there, I'd definitely get one annual pass, the discounts alone should help you out. Alot of the good neighbor hotels offer discounts for AP holders, too, but you have to call them directly to find out.
Another idea, from a previous trip we took, split the Disney days. Especially if it's a concern about your mom getting worn out. But, I'm not sure how far you've gotten with your other reservations. If you did split it up, I'd suggest staying at one of the DL hotels for one of the stretches at DL, and then stay at an offsite hotel for the other couple of days. A bit less expensive, but gives you the onsite. Also, I'm not certain how old your mom is, but there's a little known secret about a senior citizen rate. It's up to 30% off. Not sure the restrictions, but it's worth asking about.
If you think your mom would be interested, you could look into a taping of one of her fav shows. Unfortunately, I think it's a "down" time for most tapings now, but still possible.
I ditto the idea of the soda shoppe. There's a GREAT cupcake place called Sprinkles in Beverly Hills (off of Rodeo drive, close to Santa Monica blvd.) Love their cupcakes.
I totally agree with renting the ECV, too! Though make sure you get a rental that has a large enough trunk if you get one. You'd want it for both the DLR time and the Hollywood time.
I'll think on it to see if I can come up with other suggestions.

Just thought of something....if it were my mom, and I don't know what your mom is like, but we'd have a great time getting ourselves done up at Bibbity Bobbity Boutique in Fantasyland. Get matching mouse ears, maybe matching tshirts or something and just have fun being silly and allowing yourselves to laugh. And see if your DH can capture as much of it as possible, especially those unposed moments, on video and/or pictures.
And you MUST get a photopass. Hunt down those photographers, too!
Order from a local grocery store, like Albertsons, that delivers, and try to get the foods/snacks/drinks that your mom likes or can tolerate right now.

OMG BBB is a GREAT idea!!! I second that one OP! I did it with my girls for my bday and we had the BEST time. :)

I love the BBB idea! Thank you for all your help, everyone!!

Oh! And I have the Fantasmic Dessert package booked for the 7th! :)

YEAH! I'd love to read a trip report when you return.

Yeah for F! seats!!! that's GREAT!! I would love to read a trip report too! :)

By the way, Ember, just a thought....I don't know if this would be more hassle than necessary for you or if the end result might be worth it, but unless you have put money down on another hotel that cannot be refunded, I wouldn't give up on calling DLR Reservations or checking the DLR website for openings on your dates in August. I know it may seem like a pain to have to keep checking back with them, and maybe it will be too much trouble, but often times people cancel their reservations, or blocks of rooms that are being held for other reasons (like for AP holders or for conventions, media promos, etc.) are released back to the general publc if they are not booked. So even though the CMs told you that everything was booked when you asked, it may not be booked on Monday, or even if it is booked on Monday, there may be availability on Thursday, etc. I have had that happen in the past, where everything was booked when I called and then suddenly, much closer to the dates, things opened up. In fact, this brings to mind another DIS-er who recently couldn't find any availability for September at the DLR hotels. Everything was booked and the DIS-er was about to give up. They called a couple of times and got the same answer. Then they checked availability on the DLR website, and lo and behold, something had suddenly opened up and they booked it Sometimes one section of DLR Reservations will say there is no availability, but another section (like the Walt Disney Travel Company) will have an opening, or you wil find an opening on the website or through another travel agency.

So if you don't mind periodically checking back with DLR for availability as your dates approach, and as long as you can get out of whatever other reservation you made, I think it would be worthwhile to try. I think that after staying at Shutters and in Beverly Hills, it would be magical to sort of finish off the trip at one of the DLR hotels - even if it's the DLH, it is still Disney, though the GCH would be the best in terms of location and elegance.

Ember, I second Sherry E's recommendation!!! I noticed today that morning that some rates have changed over the weekend. Why don't you call DLR reservations today and ask for a lead or supervisor. Go to the top and see what they can do for you. My motto has always been...The worst anyone can do is say "NO." Keep calling, but talk to someone in charge each time.

Ember, I second Sherry E's recommendation!!! I noticed today that morning that some rates have changed over the weekend. Why don't you call DLR reservations today and ask for a lead or supervisor. Go to the top and see what they can do for you. My motto has always been...The worst anyone can do is say "NO." Keep calling, but talk to someone in charge each time.

Seeing as I can cancel the other hotel with 24 hours notice, I will try each day until the day before we leave. :goodvibes Thank you to both you and the other poster to suggested this.

You know, it's funny, the last time I called I specifically asked if there was a possibility of something opening up due to a cancellation and the CM was rather abrupt and said that it was high season so the chances were about none. But I can be persistent!

Seeing as I can cancel the other hotel with 24 hours notice, I will try each day until the day before we leave. :goodvibes Thank you to both you and the other poster to suggested this.

You know, it's funny, the last time I called I specifically asked if there was a possibility of something opening up due to a cancellation and the CM was rather abrupt and said that it was high season so the chances were about none. But I can be persistent!

Yes, keep trying. Don't give up! Some of the CMs are more helpful than others! And some of them give different information. Try calling every day and also check the DLR website and key in your dates on the website every day. It isn't just the cancellations to look out for, but as I said earlier, certain rooms which are blocked - or held - for other reasons are eventually released to the public if they are not booked. So something could open up suddenly and you don't want to miss it! And don't only try for the GCH - although I think that would be the most likely to open up just because it is the most expensive - but also try for the DLH as well, with or without concierge service.

Another crazy thing that sometimes happens but which may work to your benefit - and this was told to me by a CM in Reservations a couple of years ago - if you are booking a "Room-Only" reservation (with no tickets or anything else attached to it, and not part of a special offer), occasionally their computer system will read the number of nights one wants as being unavailable - like the CM will punch in '6 nights' and the system will say 6 nights are not available. BUT, if they break them up and tell the computer they need 3 nights and then another 3 nights, or 2 nights and 4 nights, the computer will suddenly show availability!! So that is another thing to ask the CMs when you call - if 6 nights don't show YET as available, then what about 3 and 3, 2 and 4, etc.? Then, if, say, they find something available for the first 3 nights and also for the last 3 nights, they may make two reservations for you for 3 nights each, but chances are, when you get checked into the hotel, they will be able to combine the two reservations into one, so you do not have to switch rooms.

One time I had an existing reservation for 2 nights. I wanted to change it to 3 nights, but the DLR Reservations system told the CM that a 3 night block was not available. So she kept my 2-night reservation intact, made a separate reservation for me for ONE night, and then went to ask her supervisor how to combine them, and they did. They combined them ionto one reservation. So that is one other option you can try asking about.

I am really eager for you and your mom to stay onsite at DLR!! I just think it will be perfect and a wonderful way to sort of enhance the overall trip and make it magical!! I am crossing my fingers for you that daily calls and checking the website will do the trick!!:thumbsup2:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter